PDA

View Full Version : Raising 2.5-3xbb instead of pushing?

mustardo
06-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Just looking for some reinforcement really but was thinking today about the advantages on not pushing so much with more marginal hands when ITM but stacks are quite even and all around 10xbb.

For example you are on button with 2900 other stacks are 3200 and 3900, bb is 300 and you've been dealt KTs.

Is this a a clear push or would a raise to 750 be ok? Am still just pushing at the moment as have convinced myself its push or fold at this time but was hoping someone could explain to me exactly why pushing is so much superior to raising when you can get away from the hand if someone wakes up with a monster, and you'll still have a stack that has FE and a decent chance to come back and win.

I understand you are going to get played back at more so obviously you'd have to do this with your good hands as well, but does it give you a better chance in the long run?

Or should you just be folding less than pretty strong hands while stacks are so even?

Ta for help

The Yugoslavian
06-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Push that 'ish.

As for in general what to do when you have 10xBB....push allin or fold. If you think raising less than all of your stack will scare people more, then do that and prepare to call. If you have a monster think about making a raise that will get the most over the top action.

Yugoslav

ChuckyB
06-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Since I started reading 2+2 I've become a much better, more aggressive player. But there's a little too much "push, push, push" for my taste...at least right now.

With KTs in this situation I'd rather let my skill win out versus the luck of the draw. This is all dependent on my reads, who'll surrender their blinds, etc. But in this situation, where everyone's in the money but I want to win, I'd raise to anywhere from 750-1050. That'll be enough drive out the crappy hands (if they're smart). If someone pushes on you, you could fold and still have a chance. You'd need a pretty good reason to fold though.

Betting it all in this situation strikes me as a waste of time. Depending on your image, you'll only get called by pairs, or some kind of ace, or big connector.
Picking up the blinds is fine...but you need to win more chips than that.

Jeoke
06-30-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Push that 'ish.

As for in general what to do when you have 10xBB....push allin or fold. If you think raising less than all of your stack will scare people more, then do that and prepare to call. If you have a monster think about making a raise that will get the most over the top action.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

what about if you have like 15-20xBB, do you still push?

lastchance
06-30-2005, 07:27 PM
God no. More than 12x BB, and I really don't see pushing as a good play.

I think a 3x BB raise might be good here because when BB calls and checks his missed AJ to you, you can shove all-in and take down a huge pot.

The Yugoslavian
06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push that 'ish.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

what about if you have like 15-20xBB, do you still push?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's dumb.

But in this situation if you had that many chips your opponents would have way under 10xBB and a push would be fine anyway...so this example doesn't really apply.

Generally though pushing with 15-20xBB when people have you covered to close enough to it is -Gangsta.

Yugoslav

SuitedSixes
06-30-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, that's dumb.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't this your new plan, like . . . last week?

microbet
06-30-2005, 08:53 PM
I want to hear the plan.

It is +cEV to open-push KTs, exposed, up to 31.4 BBs from the SB.

Not that I would do it.

Also, assuming I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Newt_Buggs
06-30-2005, 09:04 PM
and let someone push over the top with a marginal hand? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2763573&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post2763871)

The Yugoslavian
06-30-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, that's dumb.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't this your new plan, like . . . last week?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorta...I reread those HHs I was talking about and found that Easty and ZJ were just being complete dorkoffs...and not doing exactly what I had in mind.

No, I was interested in looking for situations where one could make exploitable min-raises instead of pushing with very poor hands....or make non-exploitable min-raises with solid but not monster hands. Most importantly, situations where doing these things would be more profitable than just pushing. I have yet to find any situations in my games where I feel strongly that this would be the case.

Eastbay and ZJ must be morans...(and better postflop players anyway).

I still have yet to see a TPS report..../images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav