PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 Button hand.

Lawrence Ng
06-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Good live game, I've had a couple of times when it's been all folded to me and I've raised each time on the button no matter what my cards were.

3rd time now in a 3 hour session. I pick up Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif and raise on the button. SB folds, BB - a loose player, has called every one of my raises and this time is no different.

He has a tell. He likes to bet into preflop raisesrs with a draw and check/call with a decent hand (say TP/MP weak kicker or small two pair against possible straight/flush boards)

Board comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn is a 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif He checks, I check.

River is a 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif He bets, I call.

Comments welcome.

Thanks.

Lawrence

rory
06-30-2005, 04:53 PM
You are calling for half of the pot here, and the pot is small. I would just fold the river against this sort of player given your read. There are 4 bets in the pot, but really for you there are only 2. Dump it.

felson
06-30-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BB - a loose player, has called every one of my raises and this time is no different.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've raised each time on the button no matter what my cards were.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lawrence Ng
06-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Felson, you telling me QT suited is not a raising hand on the button after everyone folds?

Lawrence

PokerBob
06-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Given your read on his tell, this seems standard/borderline boring. You can't bet the turn for fear of a c/r (plus very few free cards hurt you here), and you can't fold the river cuz your hand very well may be good.

PokerBob
06-30-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are calling for half of the pot here, and the pot is small. I would just fold the river against this sort of player given your read. There are 4 bets in the pot, but really for you there are only 2. Dump it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow

felson
06-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I have no problem raising QTs on the button. I don't understand why you are raising on the button with any two cards.

Jeffage
06-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Looks standard, esp. given your read. Even with no read I would check the turn sometimes.

Jeff

elysium
06-30-2005, 06:55 PM
hi lawrence

this is a clear-cut fold on the river, and failing to fold in this spot will cost you a lot of money over time. this opponent will have you beat everytime in this situation, and i'm assuming that you have no reason to believe that when your opponent betsout on the river, that he doesn't think that you will indeed call. if he did think that you wouldn't at least call, you may have to call. just don't plan on winning in this spot. you would then be calling for other reasons.

barring a weak/ tight image, you must fold on the river.

elysium
06-30-2005, 06:57 PM
hi lawrence

QTs should almost always be raised-in from the button when first in.

JihadOnTheRiver
06-30-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hi lawrence

this is a clear-cut fold on the river, and failing to fold in this spot will cost you a lot of money over time. this opponent will have you beat everytime in this situation, and i'm assuming that you have no reason to believe that when your opponent betsout on the river, that he doesn't think that you will indeed call. if he did think that you wouldn't at least call, you may have to call. just don't plan on winning in this spot. you would then be calling for other reasons.

barring a weak/ tight image, you must fold on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree. I think that the play is perfect on every street. Are you forgeting that checking that turn will induce a bluff a lot of times. nh.

Lawrence Ng
06-30-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you are raising on the button with any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I am usually the best player on the table, Since SKP, Tuco, MBE don't play with me (thank god for that) , there are only 2 others in Vancouver that I consider better limit players that I am and both of them are rarely on the tables with me. 90% of the Vancouver players are weak passive. The avg 2+2'er would kill these games over the long run.

One of the best players that I have the opportunity to play against, always raises the button whenever it is folded to him no matter who is in the blind and what his two cards were. I use to think he was crazy, but he's a bonified 2 to 2.5 bb/hr winner if not more. And I believe a significant portion of that winning is due to his ability to really weave his ability to play the button so well.

Lawrence

scotty34
06-30-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because I am usually the best player on the table, Since SKP, Tuco, MBE don't play with me (thank god for that) , there are only 2 others in Vancouver that I consider better limit players that I am and both of them are rarely on the tables with me. 90% of the Vancouver players are weak passive. The avg 2+2'er would kill these games over the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for a bit of a hijack here, but I'm a little curious about what you have to say about the Vancouver games. Is this at the River Rock where you are playing? I've played there a bit last school year, but only 2/4 and 4/8 as I was just learning to play. Those games have to be the biggest joke I have ever seen. I'm just curious as to how they are as you move up to 6/12, 10/20 and higher. How about the 10/20 Kill games at the Holiday Inn? I would like to play a bunch more when I move back there in Sept, and I'm just wondering what I'll be in for. Thanks

Lawrence Ng
07-02-2005, 12:12 AM
BB had AQ offsuit and wins.

Lawrence

9cao
07-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey All-Star, I know Michael is one but who do you consider to be the only other one better than you???

autobet
07-18-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Kovner
07-18-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the weakness shown on the turn? Doesn't that induce a bluff, and give reason for a river call?