PDA

View Full Version : Do you like this line?

Chaostracize
06-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t695)
MP2 (t480)
MP3 (t960)
CO (t990)
Button (t1735)
SB (t970)
BB (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
UTG+1 (t2170)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t57.50) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, CO calls t60, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (t177.50) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

River: (t377.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t190</font>...

RedRum
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Why check/call the turn and lead the river? If you were giving him a chance to bluff on the turn, you should have popped him with a reraise right there. If you're afraid of the flush, why bet the river?

I also hate limping into a multiway pot with AQ, raise PF.

Drink More,
RedRum

Mr_Gordon
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also hate limping into a multiway pot with AQ, raise PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually like the limp utg with AQ in this situation. If you choose to play it in this spot I think that's this best way to enter. Why make a raise to say 60 and get 4 callers, miss the flop and then have no idea where your at? It's just not that strong of a hand to be playing aggressively utg in level one IMO. Me personally I just fold this hand here.

Chaostracize
06-30-2005, 04:00 PM
It's a good hand that I don't want to play a big pot with. Limping here is definitely a viable option.

benza13
06-30-2005, 04:01 PM
This line is interesting to say the least.

I like the preflop limp, I've been doing it a lot more with AQ up front and it makes things a lot easier when you miss (most of the time).

Flop is fine.

Turn is ok, although I think leading out t100 would be better, or a check raise.

I just don't understand the check-call on the turn followed by leading the river, unless you have a strong enough read that you are ahead and that he might let the river go check check, but I really doubt you have this in level 1. If you had led the turn, no problem with leading the river too, but after check calling the turn it just seems strange.

Unarmed
06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
It's ok.
I don't like blocking bets in SNGs because
- stacks are pretty short
- downside limited to your buy-in means people are more apt to run you off the better hand here

I think you can bet 120 or so here and accomplish the same thing. There's a good chance he's betting 200 or so if you check anyway so if you're betting 190 you should just check/call to get his bluff too. If he overbets I think you can safely call.

kyro
06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Lemme guess, check/calling turn to keep pot small but leading river to prevent weaker Qs from checking behind? Folding to a raise right?

I take this line often.

Chaostracize
06-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes and yes.

Chaostracize
06-30-2005, 04:11 PM
If he's calling 120 you don't think he's calling 190?

Unarmed
06-30-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's calling 120 you don't think he's calling 190?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, a Q will probably call both.
I think you're up against a flush more often than a Q.

Chaostracize
06-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I was also thinking in the back of my mind that my blocking bet would dictate how much I'd have to pay to see a small flush, but is this thinking irrelevant?

Unarmed
06-30-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was also thinking in the back of my mind that my blocking bet would dictate how much I'd have to pay to see a small flush, but is this thinking irrelevant?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its quite relevant. It's just pretty clear from the action that you want a cheap showdown here, so a solid and/or laggy player can pick you off with anything.

It'd be nice to have a read. If Villain is ABC its a great bet, as you can put him on exactly Qx or the flush. He'll call when he's beat and raise when he's ahead and you win.

Besides the solid.tricky guys that'll pick you off sensing weakness, it's the sh*tty players that are troublesome here. They called the flop with a wide range of hands, and when you bet the river its pretty clear they're beat without a good Q. They'll realize this and desperately fling their stack in, because all they can lose is their buy-in, and you end up folding the best hand as a result. That's why I generally just check/call in spots like this.

That said, I take your line with the nut flush a good deal of the time, (alternating that with weakly leading the turn) and it pays off quite nicely.

In think the bottom line is this: Most of our opponents are overly aggro. If you bet 190 here you are rewarding that flaw. If you check and call you are capitalizing on it.

Chaostracize
06-30-2005, 04:41 PM
True. I was also assuming second pair and possibly third pair would pay off this river bet. Value bets on the river are something I've been missing and I'm working on that.

DarrenX
06-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Without a read I like your line (but may go a little smaller on the blocking/value bet, maybe 130), as I will not automatically assume villian is solid, capable of going OTT on anything less than a flush. I think more often than not if you check the river you'll be faced with a tough all in... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif