PDA

View Full Version : ..% m.d.'s who believe in god...

scalf
06-30-2005, 02:45 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif 76% of doctors believe in god according to recent poll

gl

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

drudman
06-30-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif 76% of doctors believe in god according to recent poll

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

...which means that people who have an M.D. believe in God less, proportionally, than the general population.

HDPM
06-30-2005, 04:00 PM
see, there's why they get sued so much. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zygote
06-30-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

...which means that people who have an M.D. believe in God less, proportionally, than the general population.

[/ QUOTE ]

About %99.5 of Americans are not atheists, agnostic or nihilistic, according to a program on CNN. I can't find a link.

CallMeIshmael
06-30-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About %99.5 of Americans are not atheists, agnostic or nihilistic, according to a program on CNN. I can't find a link.

[/ QUOTE ]

WAY too high (http://atheism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/package.jsp%3Fname=fte/notbelieveingod/notbelieveingod)

Zygote
06-30-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WAY too high (http://atheism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/package.jsp%3Fname=fte/notbelieveingod/notbelieveingod)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well heres something at least close to what i'm saying.

From this link (http://www.teachingaboutreligion.org/Demographics/map_demographics.htm)
"
Agnostic: 0.5%
Atheist: 0.4%
"

CallMeIshmael
06-30-2005, 08:35 PM
FWIW, it appears 13% of the people in that link stated "No Religion"

And you'd have to think some of those dont believe in God... at least, it seems that way.

Zygote
06-30-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And you'd have to think some of those dont believe in God... at least, it seems that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but i can't see how they would not be agnostic or atheist if they don't believe in god. regardless, in my post i wasn't stating the amount of americans that don't believe in god, btw.

[censored]
06-30-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how it counts don't know or unsure. I consider myself in that camp.

Cerril
06-30-2005, 09:25 PM
That one talks about how 10% of certain religious groups (and not ones that are usually considered social either) don't believe in god... Now if that isn't a confused group of people, I don't know what is.

BadBoyBenny
06-30-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
regardless, in my post i wasn't stating the amount of americans that don't believe in god, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I don't see what it has to do with the OP's thread.

CallMeIshmael
06-30-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That one talks about how 10% of certain religious groups (and not ones that are usually considered social either) don't believe in god... Now if that isn't a confused group of people, I don't know what is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...

For certain religions, the tradition is also very very important.

For example, I have a close Jewish friend who, after he told his family he was agnostic, his grandmother's reaction was: "I dont believe in God either, but I want you to continue the tradition"

I would say the nature of Judaism (small population, storied tradition, struggles with discrimination) make them a prime candidate for this occurance (though Im not about to claim I can really back this up)

bholdr
06-30-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
76% of doctors have their heads up their asses

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. flame on... (would you prefer a religious doc or an athiest? gimme the atheist any day)

BTW, there is a big difference between

"I don't believe in god"
and
"I believe that there is no god"

CallMeIshmael
06-30-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FYP. flame on... (would you prefer a religious doc or an athiest? gimme the atheist any day)

[/ QUOTE ]

No flaming, but: Why?

Do you think an atheist will be a better doctor?

Zeno
07-01-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A better doctor, better lawyer, better scientist, better lover, better baseball batter, and better looking. The list just goes on and on. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

CallMeIshmael
07-01-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A better doctor, better lawyer, better scientist, better lover, better baseball batter, and better looking. The list just goes on and on. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Any reasoning behind this, or just a stereotype?

bronzepiglet
07-01-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

A better poker theorist? I suppose you think Sklansky doesn't cut it for this reason.

vulturesrow
07-01-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for that Newton guy.

Zeno
07-01-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reasoning behind this, or just a stereotype?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Humor?

A little Sarcasm?

A wobbly Joke?

People need to relax a bit more; have a beer. Life is too short to take everything so seriously.

-Zeno

CallMeIshmael
07-01-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some Humor? ...A wobbly Joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure didnt seem like a joke. But, ok.

bholdr
07-01-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So much for that Newton guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

somewhat related example: Einstien's religious predijuces kept him from accepting or contributing to the study of quantum mechanics... he could definitly been a better scientist had he been an athiest, as, IMO, could newton have been. (<----grammatical butcher= bholdr)

vulturesrow
07-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Newton's drive in science was fueled by his belief in God. I think you are wrong there. As for Einstein, my understanding is that his religious belief were a quais-Deist type, and not particularly strong. Is the example you referred to where the quote "God doesnt play dice with the universe" comes from?

KaneKungFu123
07-01-2005, 03:41 AM
"do u believe in god?" is too general a question.

everyone is like "yeah sure i do" but they believe in their god.

"so you believe in god right."

yeah

"so fags go to hell?"

no.

a better question is how many doctors think the bible is a crock. i am sure that number is higher...

[ QUOTE ]

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

Zeno
07-01-2005, 03:48 AM
" It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systemtically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbound admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

-From Albert Einstein, The Human Side, ed. H. Dukas and B. Hoffman (Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1981).

" I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly preceive, and try humbly to comprehand even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature."

-Albert Einstein, from Living Philosophies A Series of Intimate Credos, Simon and Schuster, New York, 1933.

vulturesrow
07-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Zeno,

Thanks for the quotes. It is my understanding that near the end of his life Einstein did in fact say something that indicated he might have a belief in a god similar to what I originally posted. Ill have to research that one.

Zeno
07-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Einstein used 'God' as a metaphor for the 'unknown', it is a useful term in cultural context but unfortunet in many ways. Richard Dawkins wrote a good essay on this subject called 'Snake Oil and Holy Water' in Forbes ASAP October 4, 1999. This same essay was republished as 'The Great Convergence' in Dawkin's book titled: A Devil's Chaplin.

It was probably Einstein's preconcieved notions about how the universe 'should work' that may have impeded him making contributions to quantum mechanics, not any real religious convictions. In my opinon. Only Einstein knows for sure. And he is dead. And in Hell according to some people.

-Zeno

JMP300z
07-02-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...

For certain religions, the tradition is also very very important.

For example, I have a close Jewish friend who, after he told his family he was agnostic, his grandmother's reaction was: "I dont believe in God either, but I want you to continue the tradition"

I would say the nature of Judaism (small population, storied tradition, struggles with discrimination) make them a prime candidate for this occurance (though Im not about to claim I can really back this up)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is spot on for lots of Jewish people. Me and many friends I know who are also Jewish consider it as much as a tradition/culture as a religion. Just because we stop believing in the religion doesnt negate the fact that we are jews.

-JP