PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protection

ddollevoet
06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
I just bought a new computer and have 2 2001FP's hooked up to it. I have everything plugged into a surge protector to help guard against the many thunderstorms that we have here.

One of the guys in my home game was checking out my new system and told me that I should get a new surge protector. He said the one I have is crap.

Can you recommend a new one for me?

gusser
06-30-2005, 04:13 PM
I'd recommend purchasing one that if fails they will pay you for the losses. I haven't actually bought one in a long time but last time i looked some company offered $x they'd replace if it failed. Also get one that has large gaps between outlets so you can plug bricks in easily.

gus

grinin
06-30-2005, 06:16 PM
You are crazy not to have a UPS with built in surge protection. Pays for itself quickly if you play at higher levels or have frequent thunderstorms.

I see APC sold pretty commonly at the Office Depot/Staples type stores.

MtnDave
06-30-2005, 07:24 PM
In todays world, we often have electronics plugged in everywhere, not just the computer. So I had a whole house filter (Siemens) installed in my main breaker box. Cost about $100.

I second the comment about the use of a filter/battery backup. I have 3: one for my phone system, one for my Tivo and Moxi and one for my main computer. I use APC (got from Fry's.)