PDA

View Full Version : CO/Button Minraiser pests - Party $33's and under

otctrader
06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Assume Party $33's and under; we all encounter the prolific LP minraiser at 50/100 and up. One of my biggest leaks has been to make trash resteals if I'm targeted twice or more; unfortunately you're a coinflip at best (usually against some broadway combo or Ax), and the "f-off my blind in the future" effect is not realized since they're not paying attention at low limits nor will you wind up playing with them often in future games.

Assuming you're in the BB, SB folds, and button minraises (2nd or 3rd time) with an equivalent stack to yours, is it ever right to make marginal calls with ~8-12xbb here to attempt to outplay postflop? I often do get paid off here by Ax unimproved, but it also leads to awkward check-folds on my part so I'm not sure if its viable in the long run.

tshort
06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
I will often call with marginal hands. 3.5 to 1 pot odds. I try to call quickly to try to show it is an easy call. I usually pick up about half of these pots, making it well worth it.

vinyard
06-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Good question. Since moving back down to 800 chip games its amazing how often I see this. People will miniraise at 50/100 to 200 when they have 700 chips or fewer. I have pushed back occasionally with hands like AJ or AT when they have more chips (1000+ in this case) only to be immediately called by KJ or worse. They rarely fold to the push back so while the play may be +EV it shoots varaince throught the roof.

I honestly don't know what to do with them. And they are ubiquitous.

45suited
06-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Very good question. I made a similar post earlier this month and got several good responses. Citanul's in particular nailed it on the head, I believe. You have to make a re-raise stand against this guy while you still have FE. Here is the related thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2596519&page=&view=&s b=5&o=

I should add that since your post refers to LP mini-raiers, it would make the any two re-raise push an even easier decision (so long as you have enough FE that he won't have correct pot odds to call your push).

otctrader
06-30-2005, 01:32 PM
That was an excellent thread, but the rationale is predicated on your push-resteal carrying fold equity, and I find more often than not it doesn't in the low limits. They'll happily flip over QJ, K7o, A3o without hesitation to your all in (obviously there are exceptions). It also has minimal metagame effects - you won't see this clown again, and you won't buy yourself free passes from the peanut gallery since they're not paying attention.

So if we define the situation by assuming the minraiser donk will only fold to your push-resteal 30% of the time or less, is it still correct to make a "f-off" stand with your any two on his second consecutive minraise attempt? Or does postflop play become a better option now?