PDA

View Full Version : Flop hand out of BB, awkward turn. Is my line horrible?

kamrann
06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I may have played this very badly, I don't know. My initial smooth call on the flop was because I thought given the SB betting, a raise here would give my hand away and there was nothing yet in the pot worth winning. Had he checked I would have bet out, since that would not be such an obvious giveaway of my hand. Flame away please.

Party Poker $50 + $5, Big Blind is 15 (8 handed)

MP (1355)
CO (920)
BTN (975)
SB (985)
<font color="#008800">Hero (1465)</font>
UTG (1000)
UTG+1 (1000)
UTG+2 (2300)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP calls, 2 folds, SB calls, <font color="#008800">Hero checks</font>.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000CC">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC0000">SB bets 15</font>, <font color="#008800">Hero calls</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC0000">MP raises to 200</font>, SB folds, <font color="#008800">Hero raises to 600</font>, MP calls.

Turn: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000CC">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#008800">Hero checks</font>, <font color="#CC0000">MP bets 200</font>, <font color="#008800">Hero folds</font>, MP is returned 200.

Total Pot: 1275

junkmail3
06-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I would click the time bank and cry for 40 seconds.

gumpzilla
06-30-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm not wild about putting half of your stack in on the flop and then folding to a 1/6 pot bet on the turn. I think he can easily be making this play with another 7, or JJ, etc. I'm not sure I see MP making that big a raise on the flop with a T here. So I think folding on the turn is poor.

junkmail3
06-30-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not wild about putting half of your stack in on the flop and then folding to a 1/6 pot bet on the turn. I think he can easily be making this play with another 7, or JJ, etc. I'm not sure I see MP making that big a raise on the flop with a T here. So I think folding on the turn is poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the relpy. I agree, but it felt bad all over to me and I couldn't figure what I would do. I've erased three replies to this thread already.

I agree folding the turn is poor, but I can't decide if I want all of my chips in the middle, or if I want to hope to get checked to on the river with T600 behind.

gumpzilla
06-30-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree folding the turn is poor, but I can't decide if I want all of my chips in the middle, or if I want to hope to get checked to on the river with T600 behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

The instant the T turns you're in the mother of all way ahead/way behind situations. Pushing here, in my opinion, is highly unlikely to get called by hands that you beat but will obviously get called by a T. I think check/calling the rest of the way is the way to go here.

The flop is tricky because it's very draw heavy and villain has made an awkwardly large raise. The reraise to 600 doesn't leave much room to get away, but it seems to me like too much of an overbet to push the flop. So I'm most curious about how other people would play this flop.

kamrann
06-30-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not wild about putting half of your stack in on the flop and then folding to a 1/6 pot bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me either! Thing is, in reality I don't think it is just a 1/6 pot bet. What are the chances that I can call the 200 and not face a bet on the river? He'd have to be practically braindead to not know I had a 7 and was scared of the 10 by this point, so I think he'd set me in on the river whether he has it or not. I really feel that this is effectively a call for my whole stack, and I don't want to do this since I still have nearly an average stack if I fold.

As for his big raise on the flop, I agree it's a bit strange, into action from the two blinds on a 77x flop. If I knew and respected the player I'd figure him to have a 7 with a better kicker, but this is PartyPoker...

Another point is that to me his small bet on the turn suggests he wants a call. I think if he's trying to push me off by representing the 10, he would set me allin. Of course he may be being clever and betting small so I think this, but if he's clever, why would he call on the flop when he was clearly beat?

The Yugoslavian
06-30-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#008800">Hero folds</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?!?!?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yugoslav

Unarmed
06-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Call the turn, check call the river.
You're f*cked agasint a T but you might as well let Ax /images/graemlins/club.gif bluff off his stack when you make it painfully clear you're afraid of the T.

Oh yeah, raise the SB's gay min bet on the flop.
- You can't afford to let this thing get min called around
- You're going to have to take the lead in the hand at some point, what looks more like a 7? Raising SB's min bet or calling the min bet and raising/leading the turn?

The Yugoslavian
06-30-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call the turn, check call the river.
You're f*cked agasint a T but you might as well let Ax /images/graemlins/club.gif<font color="red">, or a bajillion pocket pairs villian could have</font> bluff off his stack when you make it painfully clear you're afraid of the T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply put, if your opponent has a T, you jacked yourself on the flop...consider it a 2 outer if you want...just don't fold unless you have a dead read on this guy.

Yugoslav