PDA

View Full Version : Fake chips found at WSOP

Kevmath
06-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Story is located here. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/news/story?id=2097513)

Kevin...

BAK
06-30-2005, 10:58 AM
I suspect that these chips could have gotten into the chip stacks by accident. One woman at my table in the Women's event was using one of the souvenir chips as her card protector. When she was all-in we kept saying she forgot a chip - oh ya - it isn't real. I can easily see how a few of these would make it into the chip pool.

Lottery Larry
06-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Isn't this pretty stupid to allow to happen? The gift shoppes shouldn't be selling anything CLOSE to the current chips in play, especially the edgespots.

Indiana
06-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes, but most people are horribly stupid. How else are we making so much $ online?

Indy

Johnnyj580
06-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Probably Men Nyugen, and his team of Vietnemese poker cheats . . . hey, they've cheated before (and not just the Immigration officials)

M.B.E.
06-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the link, Kevmath. It's good (though somewhat surprising) that ESPN is reporting stuff like this.

I've seen a few people using those black souvenir chips as card caps, and it's made me do a double-take.

What I'm more concerned about is the one-table satellites -- they use the same type of chips regardless of the buyin. It would be good if the dealers would routinely count down the chips at the end of each satellite, so that management would know whether or not there is any problem.

The_Flopologist
06-30-2005, 03:17 PM
This is pretty funny. It's almost like the FBI annoucing they've found bomb-making instructions on websitename.com Why would you tell everyone that?? Now you've given more people the smart idea! Confinscate the chips and come up with a plan behind closed doors to monitor it, but don't TELL everyone about it. Now they'll have to halt sales of those souvenier chips in the shop. That could hurt their bottom line. LOL!

touchfaith
06-30-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty funny. It's almost like the FBI annoucing they've found bomb-making instructions on websitename.com Why would you tell everyone that?? Now you've given more people the smart idea! Confinscate the chips and come up with a plan behind closed doors to monitor it, but don't TELL everyone about it. Now they'll have to halt sales of those souvenier chips in the shop. That could hurt their bottom line. LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

You TELL everyone so that everyone knows.

The players will be the ones with the best chance of policing this.

Kyo Souma II
06-30-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's almost like the FBI annoucing they've found bomb-making instructions on websitename.com Why would you tell everyone that?? Now you've given more people the smart idea! Confinscate the chips and come up with a plan behind closed doors to monitor it, but don't TELL everyone about it. Now they'll have to halt sales of those souvenier chips in the shop. That could hurt their bottom line. LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost is quite right. You can use the bomb in your analogy, but you can't use the chips. They should have made this story up to generate artificial demand and then sold the mass-produced pieces of crap for $4.95 each.

Had this been done properly they'd be on eBay already.

-kyo

Spook
06-30-2005, 05:59 PM
If we can just get someone in Everests stable to slip him one or two of these chips, and then expose him when he gets them in play.
We can take him down.

Also the idea of using computer chips in the real chips is great, but how are you going to monitor the illegal chips that don't have a computer part in them?

benfranklin
06-30-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also the idea of using computer chips in the real chips is great, but how are you going to monitor the illegal chips that don't have a computer part in them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh!! Just pass a law that illegal chips have to have tracking devices in them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure our very own Sen. Mark Dayton would sponsor such a bill. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

yoadrians
06-30-2005, 07:54 PM
The Matador and his goons probably are passing chips to each other during the breaks ... some of which are fake.

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 08:24 PM
anyone who wants to cheat in the event is going to come up with this idea anyway. its not like using fake chips in an event is state of the art cheat technology. its common sense, but way too risky to attempt. an even more obvious extent of this would be to have a company make identical fake chips as the ones used in the wsop. if you could sleight of hand these into your stack without anyone noticing you would never get caught.

people are retarded for using black chips here. if you are going to cheat you better be using $1000 chips at the very minimum. even that is a stupid idea imo.

ohgeetee
06-30-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
people are retarded for using black chips here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people are retarded for thinking this was an attempt at cheating. A cheat isn't going to use black chips, and 2 chips out of 3 events doesn't indicate cheating. Occam's Razor would go a long way in pointing out that a couple folks accidentally pushed their card protector in with their stacks.