PDA

View Full Version : Who the $#%& keeps money in their wallet?

Lestat
06-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Although I carry a wallet, I NEVER keep money in it. I can't believe so many people do. I want my money right in my front pocket where I can keep an eye on it. I've lost wallets before, but I never lost a front pocket.

What's even more amazing are people who keep their poker money in their wallet (hundred dollar bills, etc.). I think that's just plain stupid!

Am I the only one who never keeps cash in their wallet?

Btw- I do use a money clip for my non-bankroll spending cash.

BusterStacks
06-30-2005, 10:27 AM
I simply refuse to carry cash.

Glenn
06-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Huh? I keep money is my wallet. That's kind of what it's for. Losing the money in my wallet is nothing compared to the pain of losing credit cards/license/etc. I dont keep poker money in my wallet but that's mainly because it doesnt fit.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Holding money is what a wallet is for. If you've got so much crap to carry around that you need a wallet and a money clip, maybe you should just carry a purse.

spamuell
I keep money in my wallet. I've never lost my wallet sober.

Homer
I want my money right in my front pocket where I can keep an eye on it.

Me too, that's why I keep my wallet in there.

Glenn
06-30-2005, 10:30 AM
"I want my money right in my front pocket where I can keep an eye on it.

Me too, that's why I keep my wallet in there."

The world is not ready for this kind of innovation.

Voltron87
06-30-2005, 10:30 AM
i carry small bills in my wallet. i often have a large amount of cash on me since i play live a lot, but thats all in 20s and up and i dont like breaking out 1500$ to buy cheerios.

CollinEstes
06-30-2005, 10:32 AM
I have a money clip/wallet. Does that count.

shakingspear
06-30-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't put money in my wallet. But I don't use a pansy money clip, either.

IndieMatty
06-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I have about 680 bucks in my wallet right now, and a few singles in my pocket. I'd lose my [censored] all the time, grabbing for keys/change/cell phone etc.

goofball
06-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I carry money in my wallet, bankroll in my front pocket.

Lestat
06-30-2005, 10:40 AM
My wallet doesn't even have a place to put money!

Lestat
06-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Hey don't knock em until you've tried them. I never used to use a money clip either until a couple years ago. I'm not talking about the fancy gold razzle dazzle ones. Just a plain magnetic leather one. Keeps your cash all together so you don't have to spill out your change, keys, or that little bag of hooch someone gave you, every time you go to pay for something.

sfer
06-30-2005, 10:48 AM
My credit cards are far more valuable to a pickpocket than any amount of cash I've every carried.

B Dids
06-30-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first day I was in Seattle as a freshman there was a guy from Chicago and a guy from New York, they both explain that "in the big city" you keep your wallet in the front pocket.

I was like "whoa, this makes sense" and moved it, it hasn't moved back since.

Although with debit cards, I have gone like two months at a time without ever having cash.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-30-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My wallet doesn't even have a place to put money!

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not a wallet.

IndieMatty
06-30-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first day I was in Seattle as a freshman there was a guy from Chicago and a guy from New York, they both explain that "in the big city" you keep your wallet in the front pocket.

Although with debit cards, I have gone like two months at a time without ever having cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never worried about this. Back pocket all the time. I ride the NYC subway 6 days a week.

Skjonne
06-30-2005, 10:51 AM
I haven't had a wallet in 15 years. Wallets are for girls who have bags to put them in.

Men doesn't have wallets

Eihli
06-30-2005, 10:51 AM
When you say front pocket, do you mean front pants pocket or shirt pocket? Because a lot of chairs in cars and at movie theatres and stuff push my knees up so high that stuff often falls out of my pants pocket and that's why I've been afraid to put my wallet there.

Lestat
06-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Really? I've never worried too much about this. Maybe that's because it's never happened to me yet. I would think you could just call the credit card companies and explain that your wallet's been stolen? They can't hold you liable for 30k charges in one day, can they?

schwza
06-30-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My credit cards are far more valuable to a pickpocket than any amount of cash I've every carried.

[/ QUOTE ]

but i also care much less if my credit cards get stolen.

razor
06-30-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although I carry a wallet, I NEVER keep money in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Stranger
06-30-2005, 11:04 AM
The amazing, front pocket wallet!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000099Q4T.01-A2Q0ARZLO9COOL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000099Q4T.01-A2Q0ARZLO9COOL.PT01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

NoTalent
06-30-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep money in my wallet. I've never lost my wallet sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

BottlesOf
06-30-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I NEVER keep money in [my wallet]...I want my money right in my front pocket where I can keep an eye on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two are not mutually exclusive.

sfer
06-30-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Really? I've never worried too much about this. Maybe that's because it's never happened to me yet. I would think you could just call the credit card companies and explain that your wallet's been stolen? They can't hold you liable for 30k charges in one day, can they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, but that potential downside, or some fractional component of it (as well as having to deal with DMV an extra time), is worth a lot more to me than the $500 max I usually have on me.

Six_of_One
06-30-2005, 11:56 AM
You're not the only one -- I never keep cash in my wallet, either. Partly because of the risk of theft, but partly because it's a hassle to have to take the wallet out every time I need to pay for something.

jakethebake
06-30-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...it's a hassle to have to take the wallet out every time I need to pay for something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Taking a wallet out is very difficult. Don't you have to take the money out? Is it taped to the outside somehow?

Bluffoon
06-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I tossed the whole wallet thing years ago. My cash is in a clip in my left front pocket and my credit cards and id are rubber banded in my right front pocket. I like to travel light.

beerbandit
06-30-2005, 12:12 PM
dont use a wallet

i have one at home with various cards in it - breast inspector...etc

i dont really care for them, i should my id looks like dynamite has been strapped to it and set off

cheers

Glenn
06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
It would be neat if someone would combine the money clip and the rubber band so that you could keep your cards and money together and organized. Maybe we could call it...a wallet.

Bluffoon
06-30-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would be neat if someone would combine the money clip and the rubber band so that you could keep your cards and money together and organized. Maybe we could call it...a wallet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bulky for me glenn. I went from a wallet to a billfold and finally I just ditched it completely.

Sponger15SB
06-30-2005, 12:17 PM
I've never gotten my wallet stolen in my entire life and I've never even worried about it.

I'm confused by the parnoia in this thread.

jakethebake
06-30-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went from a wallet to a billfold...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a regional thing? I've always heard them used synonymously? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bradyams
06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
I have a habit of always checking to make sure my wallet is still in my pocket.

I keep my keys in my front left pocket, my cell phone in my front right, my wallet in my back right, and sometimes my checkbook (I'm old school) in my back left. Everytime I stand up, sit down, leave somewhere, arrive somewhere, and at many other times I'll pat down each pocket real quick to make sure everything is there. If something was lost it wouldn't be longer than 2 minutes until I knew about it.

Bluffoon
06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went from a wallet to a billfold...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a regional thing? I've always heard them used synonymously? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It might just be a me thing. To me anyway a billfold is a skinny version of a wallet.

Glenn
06-30-2005, 12:34 PM
To each his own. Someone has to defend the wallets though, as they cant speak for themselves.

B Dids
06-30-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never worried about this. Back pocket all the time. I ride the NYC subway 6 days a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

The footnote here is that it turns out that A- they were suburbanites B- the area of Seattle that they were shook about is actually very tame (The Ave). Mostly for me it's that I'm more comfortable with my wallet in my front pants pocket and I feel like I know where it is and it's never going to fall out without me noticing.

Alobar
06-30-2005, 12:45 PM
its actually alot better for your back too. Having a wallet in your back pocket isnt good for you, as when you sit down, your sit bones arent level, because there is a wallet wedged under one side.

Lestat
06-30-2005, 01:25 PM
<font color="red"> your sit bones arent level, </font>

Enough medical jargon. Can we stick to layman's terms we'll all understand?

augie00
06-30-2005, 01:34 PM
I generally keep 15-20 dollars in my wallet at all times. Paying with a card can sometimes be a hassle. Also, it is better to tip at restaraunts in cash so I always have some cash with me when I go out to eat (or try to anyway).

Alobar
06-30-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> your sit bones arent level, </font>

Enough medical jargon. Can we stick to layman's terms we'll all understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Glossary

Definition: Anatomically part of your pelvis, the sit bones are quite literally the bones under the flesh of the butt that you sit on.

Lestat
06-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I thought I was being funny, but I just looked it up. I guess there really is a medical term called, "sit bones".

Reading OOT is so informative.

Nick-Zack
06-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Wallets are gay - get a rubber band

Nick-Zack
06-30-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and sometimes my checkbook (I'm old school) in my back left.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW - I didn't even know that people have checkbooks anymore. I think I got one when I opened my account but haven't seen it since. My Debit Card pays for most and online bill pay takes care of the rest. Do stores still take checks?

Benal
06-30-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you've got so much crap to carry around that you need a wallet and a money clip, maybe you should just carry a purse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a European Carryall dammit!

TimTimSalabim
06-30-2005, 03:17 PM
It must be hard to walk with your eye on your front pocket. Do you bump into things a lot?

SomethingClever
06-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I keep money, credit cards and ID in a metal cigarette case. Which I keep in my front pocket.

jakethebake
06-30-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep money, credit cards and ID in a metal cigarette case. Which I keep in my front pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

How very...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/OOTtub.jpg

SomethingClever
06-30-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never gotten my wallet stolen in my entire life and I've never even worried about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're 10.

benza13
06-30-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a habit of always checking to make sure my wallet is still in my pocket.

I keep my keys in my front left pocket, my cell phone in my front right, my wallet in my back right, and sometimes my checkbook (I'm old school) in my back left. Everytime I stand up, sit down, leave somewhere, arrive somewhere, and at many other times I'll pat down each pocket real quick to make sure everything is there. If something was lost it wouldn't be longer than 2 minutes until I knew about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea this is what I do as well, except I have never carried my checkbook anywhere, in fact the only time I use a check is to pay rent, everything else goes on the card.

Funny money clip story while I'm here. My whole family took a vacation for Thanksgiving a few years ago. My uncle never really traveled much before this and just got a new money clip which he had a bunch of travel money in (probably $500 or more). Well going through the airport he has to take the clip out for security and put in through the scanner thing. Leaves the cash sitting in it. Thick ass money clip just sitting on the belt while he goes through the metal detector. Yea, my uncle's not that bright.

SomethingClever
06-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Meh... gay or not, it's easily the best wallet I've had.

It doesn't fall out... it latches shut... I don't have to sit on it when I drive... it bulletproofs a small portion of my leg in case I'm shot there... the benefits are endless, really.

This is what it looks like.

http://www.a-shop.com.au/Cigarettecases3/843mnas.jpg

Sponger15SB
06-30-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it bulletproofs a small portion of my leg in case I'm shot there

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to self: When you try and kill SomethingClever for making fun of you, don't shoot him in the leg.

SomethingClever
06-30-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Note to self: When you try and kill SomethingClever for making fun of you, don't shoot him in the leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

B Dids
06-30-2005, 04:58 PM
My business card holder is kinda like that. I've considered just using it, but I just have too much wallet crap for it to fit.

Lawrence Ng
06-30-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who never keeps cash in their wallet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't either. I had my wallet stolen twice from me and both times it had about a couple hundred in it. I also don't carry my CC with me either. I pay everything in cash/debit card. Cash is usually in a buttoned up pocket.

Lawrence