PDA

View Full Version : Underground Network

John Cole
02-03-2003, 06:29 PM
No, it's not terrorists. In a paper I received a couple years ago, a student told about hitting a woodchuck while driving. She stopped, saw the animal was alive, wrapped it in a blanket, and called a local vet.

Vets, though, cannot work on wild animals, at least in Rhode Island. I was amazed, though, to learn about the "vet underground" that works on wild animals. The student brought the woodchuck to the vet in the middle of the night at the backdoor. The vet performed necessary surgery, and the woman took the animal home and cared for it until she thought it was healthy enough to release into the wild.

According to the student, many vets perform this type of work. Have any of you heard of this before?

John

Jimbo
02-03-2003, 07:13 PM
John,

It sounds to me like she wasted a perfectly good piece of bait for taiman fishing. I wonder how much a slightly damaged woodchuck is going for these days in Mongolia?

Ray Zee
02-03-2003, 10:37 PM
i used to hit woodchucks while driving all the time. it was too difficult to get them with an iron. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

i think since vets are doctors they like animals and will try to save any of them. i never heard that they cannot work on a wild animal. although most states do not allow people to care for wild game animals. but with non game animals it is not against the law. that may be the case here.

scalf
02-04-2003, 07:48 PM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif john..the subway is not the underground...gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/spade.gif