PDA

View Full Version : Buying new comp: what do i need for 4 tabling fun?

theordinaryboy
06-30-2005, 07:40 AM
hey there i originally posted this in the stt forum and was told to move it to here for better responses.

Essentially i want a computer to allow me to 4 table with no overlap, however i am not bothered about being able to have more than one monitor.

I would also like it to be able to play the new computer games that are coming out now, so im thinking of 3gig speed, 1024 ram, hard drive doesnt matter but i think 250 is standard at the mo.

I checked dell out for the fp2001 monitor 21" screen one everyone says to get but couldnt see it with a comp as well. Should i get a dell comp and upgrade the monitor or should i just buy the monitor and get the comp seperate.

i should add that i live in the uk, so does anyone know if the coupon deals are valid for outside the US, also would a US dell differ to a UK dell (i know bugger all about technology but know that you need a converter for some electrical appliances etc.).

Someone mentioned that you could 4 table on a 19" screen with 1600x1200 resolution, was this guy lying?

Cheers for the responses guys

TheTROLL
06-30-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Someone mentioned that you could 4 table on a 19" screen with 1600x1200 resolution, was this guy lying?

[/ QUOTE ]
On a decent 19" CRT screen (ie, traditional, not flat panel), 1600x1200 or above is indeed possible. On LCD (flat panel) screens you'll need a 20", all 19" LCDs are 1280x1024

I bought the 2001FP from eBay, but Dell are now doing it direct much cheaper than they were, so that's probably the best source. Expect to pay a bit under 400 quid delivered. Consider a separate supplier for the base unit, I picked up a very nice box from www.powerc.com (http://www.powerc.com) for 500 at around the specs you've listed (Athlon 64 processor).

theordinaryboy
07-01-2005, 10:10 AM
thanks troll

i checked out the site u recommended and dell

they are selling their 20" at £500 is this the best offer there is?

Also perhaps i'm being greedy here, but i heard that some monitors now can be used as tv's and you can get freeview on them. That would be mint. Do you know anything about this?

cheers

TheTROLL
07-01-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks troll

i checked out the site u recommended and dell

they are selling their 20" at £500 is this the best offer there is?

Also perhaps i'm being greedy here, but i heard that some monitors now can be used as tv's and you can get freeview on them. That would be mint. Do you know anything about this?

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

500 is too high, their prices fluctuate insanely - they were under 400 (delivered) a fortnight ago, I nearly bought a second one. Try eBay instead if you're in a hurry (ensure it's shipping from UK, else delays/taxes etc kick in - I got mine from a chap in Perth - ebay username EricBunny) or just check back at the Dell site every few days.

I run a Freeview box through mine, it has a composite video input socket. The TV pic can be made either full-screen or Picture -in-picture to take up a quarter of the screen while you 3-table in the rest :-)

mmbt0ne
07-01-2005, 09:50 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
i know bugger all about technology

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the responses guys

[/ QUOTE ]

400 quid

[/ QUOTE ]