PDA

View Full Version : Transition

ansky451
06-30-2005, 07:33 AM
I am primarily a limit, or NL cash game hold'em player. I also play an enormous amount of tournaments (probably too many). I want a change of pace, so I am switching to SNGs for a while. Ill probably start with 50's maybe even 100s. I have money on both stars and party. Party's structure for STTs seems to be really crappy compared to pokerstars. On PS on the bubble the avg stack is usually like 25, or even 30 big blinds sometimes, on PP it is like 8.

So... Question #1- How should this affect ones winrate- assuming equal competition (I know the competition is in fact much easier on party).

Question #2. If I can average 8 big blinds over 12k hands 4 tabling 1/2 nl, and I expect to be SNG player with a standard winning ROI, How much should I expect to make 4 tabling 50s?

Question #3. Early in the SNGs I think I will fare very well, but late, when it is shorthanded, and on the bubble I am a little unsure. Suppose I am chip leader with 20 bbs 4 handed. I am in the CO (UTG) What type of hands should I be pushing? What if I have 8 big blinds, and the other players have 4, 6, and 16, what are my push hands then?

I think these are all pretty decent questions, if there are answers out there and you dont want to answer me, just link me to it.

Thanks in advance for any response.

treeofwisdom7
06-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Q2- you should avg a ROI of 35%.
Q3- just keep folding at the end . remember agression isnt rewarded

ansky451
06-30-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I guess I am too tuned to MTTs...

treeofwisdom7
06-30-2005, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I guess I am too tuned to MTTs...

[/ QUOTE ]

really didnt think you would take me seriously...

just read posts here they will help you.

ansky451
06-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Well I didn't take it literally, but maybe that compared with MTTs, you should actually play a bit more passively, because sometimes you arent playing for first, merely to cash. (Unlike MTTs, where the top spots are everything.)

the_joker
06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
This (http://www.sitngo-analyzer.com/) should help you with question 3. You better figure out question 3 or your ROI will not be good!

Blarg
06-30-2005, 09:00 AM
You're playing for first in SNG's, too. The difference between first and second is huge; the only bigger is between taking 3rd and not winning anything at all. And it's the SAME differential.

Look through the threads you find here from the top players, and you'll see their first places are very well represented, as they are willing to take quite a few chances to get to first. The reason is noted above. Keep in mind also that you can have a fantastic ROI, like 40%, and still be losing money like crazy at SNG's. 3rd place is worth just that little, and first place is worth just that much.

suited_ace
06-30-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind also that you can have a fantastic ITM, like 40%, and still be losing money like crazy at SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

KJ o
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're playing for first in SNG's, too. The difference between first and second is huge; the only bigger is between taking 3rd and not winning anything at all. And it's the SAME differential.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you a free pass for saying that the only bigger difference is the same.

But I would really like to address the issue of how the prize differential affects your play. If the prize distribution instead was 50/33/17, how would that change your play?

There are certainly hands where a very marginal push becomes a marginal fold and vice versa, but if your play was optimal for 50/30/20 and you were in fact playing 50/33/17, how much ROI would you give up?

I'd guess less than 1%. But I would love someone to prove me wrong. ("Prove" as in maths, not as in general opinions.)