PDA

View Full Version : Final table bubble, two close push or fold situations

billyjex
06-30-2005, 01:39 AM
I found both of these decisions to be close and am wondering what you guys believe are the correct actions..

Party $109, 330 down to 14. We're only getting paid $280 right now, all the money is loaded up front.

Blinds are 750/1500. After posting my BB, I have 13250 left. Average is 22-25k.

Folded to chip leader (50k) on the button. On the couple orbits we have been together, he has been quiet -- he has stolen a blind here or there, but has open limped a couple times as well and folded to pushes.

He makes it 6100, basically making him committed if I push. I have A8o. Do you push or fold?

I folded there, and the very next hand in the SB I get 88. I have 12500 left. MP3 in this hand, who has about 35k and has just gone on a monster rush (doubling up w/ AKs and KK in consecutive hands an orbit ago), has stolen the blinds once in this orbit from EP.

He makes it 8100, a somewhat interesting 5.5xbb raise. Folded to me, and I push in what I have left..

Whadya think?

Double Eagle
06-30-2005, 03:51 AM
I'm folding the first hand pretty quickly. If Villain was more LAGgy then I would go ahead and push, but as described I think you are way behind more times than slightly ahead.

The second hand is tougher as the oversized raise at this stage of the tourney usually means a range like AK/77-TT. I hate calling off my chips here hoping to be flipping a coin. Call me W/T, but I'm gonna vote to pass here and hope you get a chance to open push a pot in the next couple of hands to stay ahead of the blinds.

aaronbeen
06-30-2005, 06:46 AM
I fold both. There is no conceivable range you are significanyl ahead of with A8 or 88. I'd rather avoid a very marginal call and just push very aggressively from the button and CO the next couple hands if I am opening. Even if not, I have enough chips to wait for a hand and/or late position again to steal.
Winning an all in here would be nice but your stack is deep enough that you aren't getting the overlay. You are drawing to 3 aces or 2 eights more often than the dead money compensates for.
edit: numbers after I get a good night's sleep - but I am very sure of myself, I have done similar calculations many times.

sekrah
06-30-2005, 07:34 AM
I definently fold both,. You still have 8 BB with the blinds just passing you, you'll have more opportunities to make this move.

You're still an orbit or two away from desperation level (5-6 BB)

ansky451
06-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Hand 1) I wish I had a bigger stack, then fold.
Hand 2)Hand 1: 44.6192 % [ 00.44 00.01 ] { 88 }
Hand 2: 55.3808 % [ 00.55 00.01 ] { AA-66, AKs-AJs, AKo-AJo }

Not very good equity- I fold and wait for a better spot, and Im pretty LAG late in tournies, so it pains me to fold it.

kuro
06-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Both are spots for stop and goes.

schwza
06-30-2005, 10:50 AM
hand 1: i fold. this does not sound like a guy who's going to be opening a lot of pots light. if you are up against a hand like KJ, you're only a small favorite, and even with the pot odds, you barely want to play (b/c you should be risk-averse).

hand 2: i think it's close. i think a push or a fold is ok. i don't like a stop-n-go as much b/c you're letting the BB in cheaply that way, and you don't want to play multi-way. also, villain will not fold the flop (you'll bet 4k into 19k).

if i'm villain, i'm raising any pair in this spot. i'm not sure how many people are this aggro, but i think a lot of them. there will also be plenty of KQ-type hands, and maybe hands like A7. with the pot odds and the 55-45 advantage edge against overs, i think a push is barely right. i'd fold 77 though. if you were at 11 players instead of 14, i'd fold.

locutus2002
06-30-2005, 11:10 AM
I,d push the rest of them in.

7-handed against an active player 88 has to be at least even against a mid-late position opener inspite of his 5.5XBB bet. It looks more like he doesn't want a call.

With the dead money in the pot, the fact that you only have 8XBB left, and your position is a ways from the final table, I'd call.

SheepCookers
06-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I don't think he would want a call with JJ-99 also where OP is dominated or AQ,AJs,KQs type of hands.

Lloyd
06-30-2005, 01:56 PM
I'd fold hand #1. You don't have much folding equity and I wouldn't want to see a flop with A8.

Hand #2, I'd stop and go. Call and push any flop. You're still a ways from the final table and you need chips. 88 is to strong to fold right here. And if there are a few overs he might even fold a hand like 99 or TT when you push the flop.