PDA

View Full Version : Voip/Skype phones

wacki
06-30-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm thinking about buying this:

http://www.mplat.com/eng/productdetail.asp?post=27

http://www.mplat.com/eng/img/product/f1k/f1k_large1.gif

What do you think?

I want a voip phone and this looks like a pretty neat gadget. Skype is installed in the USB drive. Just plug it into any computer and boom! You're talkin!

BusterStacks
06-30-2005, 01:56 AM
I use my computer specifically to avoid speaking.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-30-2005, 02:01 AM
It is not the thing of the future, so to say, as mobile IP-phones will kick it out of the market.

wacki
06-30-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is not the thing of the future, so to say, as mobile IP-phones will kick it out of the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

mobile IP phones are not here... are they? If so I'm buying one.

Besides I can use this for free. Zero operation cost. Plus I can call anywhere in the world and even house phones (@ 2 cents a minute).

Arnfinn Madsen
06-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Just around the corner. You can use Skype on a mobile Ip-phone too but you will have data transfer costs though. A mobile IP-phone with a wireless network card will make it possible for you to Skype free when you have access to a free wireless network and use the mobile network when you do not have alternative.

wacki
06-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Well it's not here now so it's not going to help me.

I'm buying this thing.

Slacker13
06-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Since my office phone bill is on average $2800 month I looked into this very closely and have come to the conclusion that I should wait untill the technology gets much better. This is what I have found: If you have DSL it works much better than with cable, many dropped calls and in many circumstances your calls never even make it through, conversaions are often "echoey". The plusses are inexpensive phone bills, tons of options for free and with Vonage you can transfer calls and work almost all of the options right from your computer. The bottom line is if you can withstand the negatives then you should not think twice about getting it, compared to local phone service it willsave you a lot of money if you call long distance frequently. For my business however it is not yet an option I can take.

wacki
06-30-2005, 02:29 AM
I have had many hour+ long conversations via skype all over the world and I've never had a problem. I think I might of had the echo once or twice but that wasn't skype that was feedback from the speakers hitting the mic.

BTW, what the hell do you do?

HtotheNootch
06-30-2005, 02:30 AM
If you don't mind spyware, Skype's fine.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-30-2005, 02:31 AM
Having been responsible for projects for firms with several thousand users without significant problems I can assure you that the technology is mature. However, a lot of the providers, do not have high enough competence in applying the technology, so choosing wrong provider and/or wrong system integrator can get you into a lot of trouble.

wacki
06-30-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't mind spyware, Skype's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

My computer is firewalled to hell and I don't have spyware.

Linky on skype "spyware" (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9481674~mode=flat)

Slacker13
06-30-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, what the hell do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]
I own a Business and Investment firm. We raise venture capitol for startup companies. Currently we are raising money for a natural Gas company so they can drill 30 wells. Normally my phone bill would be over $4000 a month but we cut a deal with Bell South, but when you see companies like Vonage offering $49 per month business lines it is extremely tempting but not worth it if the quality is bad.

wacki
06-30-2005, 02:40 AM
Just call them with Vonage/Skype... and if it's bad say here I'll call you on the other line. Easy as pie.

Then again you are in sales so maybe that's a bad idea.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-30-2005, 02:40 AM
Buy your gadget, have fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Some info from one company:

[ QUOTE ]
The IPdrum Mmobile Skype Cable was launched June 14. at the CommunicAsia in Singapore.
You will find the Press Release here
Press release June 14. 2005

IPdrum will bring Skype to Mobile Phone users worldwide

Cable Connects Skype to your Mobile Telephone as early as August 2005

OSLO, Norway – June 14, 2005 – IPdrum, a VoIP solutions provider, today introduced the IPdrum Mobile Skype Cable, a first and long awaited bridge between Internet telephony and mobile phones. The IPdrum Mobile Cable connects Skype to a mobile telephone via the mobile telephone network — allowing Skype users true mobility and worldwide calling for local rates.

With IPdrum and Skype, a user can call free of any long distance charges, world wide from his/her mobile phone. “Skype users today need to physically sit in front of their PCs or buy special cordless phones that must be used within a range of a few meters from the PC,” says Kjetil Mathisen, CEO IPdrum. “These current Skype restrictions provide enormous market potential for IPdrum technology and solutions.”

IPdrum has developed patent-pending technology to connect the traditional telephony systems with peer-to-peer (P2P) telephony. IPdrum Mobile Cable enables the user to Skype from his/her mobile no matter where he/she is.

“This marriage of technology will change the mobile phone network as we know it today, forcing the mobile carriers to re-think their international calling price strategy,” says Jerry Pettersson, founder of IPdrum. “Just as Skype has changed the land line (PSTN) network landscape, the IPdrum Mobile Cable will further revolutionize the complete communication network.”

Unlike similar products currently on the market, IPdrum Mobile Cable does not require any special phones, and it is not restricted to special “Hotspots” or zones where technologies such as Wifi are available. In addition, IPdrum Mobile Cable incorporates a range of features and capabilities designed to increase convenience and performance when Skyping such as:

· Forwarding of incoming Skype calls to PSTN or a mobile phone

· Synchronizing of contacts from a mobile phone

· Synchronizing of contacts in Skype

· Connecting/Synchronizing contacts with Skype users

Skype, by far the most successful P2P VoIP solution, has clocked 100 million downloads as of April 2005 and is expected to have a major impact on the entire telecom industry. “We aim to be a leading supplier to Skype and other peer-to-peer telephony operators,” says Mr. Mathisen.

About IPdrum

IPdrum is a supplier of innovative hardware and software to the new, fast growing and revolutionary market for telephony over Internet. The company’s flagship product is IPdrum Mobile Cable. For more information about IPdrum, product availability and pricing, please go to http://www.ipdrum.com.

# # #

For more information, or to schedule an interview with Kjetil Mathisen, CEO, please contact:

Karen Romer

IPdrum

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
06-30-2005, 02:42 AM
I can't wait till august. I need it for this next month.

Slacker13
06-30-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just call them with Vonage/Skype... and if it's bad say here I'll call you on the other line. Easy as pie.

[/ QUOTE ]
We have talked about this and it is a viable option.