PDA

View Full Version : Quick XP question

Reef
06-30-2005, 12:33 AM
When I bought my current laptop, windows XP CD's came with it. If I get a new laptop, can I use these same XP CD's to install XP onto it? Or do I need to buy the XP OS?

edtost
06-30-2005, 12:47 AM
d. none of the above

if you get a new laptop, it should come with xp installed.

Reef
06-30-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
d. none of the above

if you get a new laptop, it should come with xp installed.

[/ QUOTE ]
doh! I was looking at XP home and XP professional which costs extra

gusser
06-30-2005, 02:25 AM
If your asking if you can do it technically the answer is probably. As long as it isn't a "system restore disk" or something along those lines it should work. You want a disk that says windows xp and nothing else. Usually though the OEM licenses don't allow it to be transferred. Activating it legitly might be a problem.

tinhat
06-30-2005, 02:32 AM
I thought MS allowed single-use, regardless? In fact I thought this was the way most comm'l consumer software licenses worked. IOW so long as he's only using it on one computer (IIRC) it's not an issue (as far as the license that is).

Mike

destro
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I highly doubt it will work. Id say over 90% of name brand laptops that come with XP will not provide you with a transferable copy of xp.

stabn
06-30-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought MS allowed single-use, regardless? In fact I thought this was the way most comm'l consumer software licenses worked. IOW so long as he's only using it on one computer (IIRC) it's not an issue (as far as the license that is).

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

That's generally not the case with OEM licenses which get a price break and are typically tied to the machine.