PDA

View Full Version : Becoming mentally strong

Popinjay
06-30-2005, 12:04 AM
I heard the quote the other day that Tiger Woods was the most mentally strong athlete in all of sports. Maybe he is in the world of sports but some poker players have to rival him. Well maybe not. When I see a lot of the top pros on TV it really seems like the beats still affect them.

So how does one become mentally strong? So much so that one never loses their cool whether it's playing golf or playing poker. Perhaps to the extreme that when your opponent hits runner runner in a 50BB pot you don't feel a thing.

I think it's interesting to look at very mentally strong people. Two people come to my mind, Zen masters and elite intelligence agents. The Zen masters just have that cool way about them, and intelligence agents are able to withstand the most intense interrogations (at least according to movies).

So how is incredible mental strength acquired?

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 12:15 AM
i have trouble believing that tiget woods is so mentally strong that he doesnt get aggrivated when he hits a bad streak.

i also have trouble believing that the best pros are so mentally strong that they dont get aggrivated when they hit bad streaks as well.

of course they hate it. its not like they are zombies, but most of them are able to control themselves from letting it affect their play. its really not that difficult. you make a decision to play your best poker at all times even when losing and you stick to it.

gumpzilla
06-30-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

So how is incredible mental strength aquired?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently by spying on the Japanese.

RacersEdge
06-30-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't think mental strength means never losing your cool. It really doesn't matter as much what you do when you get a bad beat - or hit a bad shot. The important thing is how you respond after the event - if you are locked in for the next shot, that's all that matters.