PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the worst bet I've ever seen

Double Eagle
06-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Was it possible for the button to have played this any worse?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t16625)
MP1 (t1350)
MP2 (t8100)
Hero (t25700)
CO (t3760)
Button (t8700)
SB (t7430)
BB (t3350)
UTG (t26830)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t800, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t600.

Flop: (t2700) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t7900</font>, MP2 calls t7300 (All-In), Hero folds.

Turn: (t19100) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t19100) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t19100

MP2 has Kd 8d (four of a kind, kings).
Button has As Ah (full house, kings full of aces).
Outcome: MP2 wins t18500. Button wins t600.

gumpzilla
06-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Um, I don't think it's so bad. People will give him credit for AA here approximately never. What would you have done if MP2 hadn't called?

EDIT: Also, depending on opponents, there are probably better ways to play, but how many more streets were you planning on firing, and how much were you willing to call down with? Also, it should be blazingly obvious that this guy cannot avoid getting stacked by the K, so no fair holding that against him.

pokergrader
06-30-2005, 12:01 AM
I think folding his aces pre-flop would have been pretty bad.

bohemian
06-30-2005, 12:08 AM
You must play very little if this is the worst you've seen.

yoadrians
06-30-2005, 12:08 AM
I think MP2's play preflop was the worst. As for the AA, man, you didn't see it coming. You would've never put him on AA here, so he was tricky and if MP2 hadn't flopped quads, he would've taken all of YOUR chips.

I don't mind his play here at all. A little different line with AA, and it didn't work out. But certainly not the worst-played AA I've ever seen.

Double Eagle
06-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Well I'm folding pretty quickly regardles of MP2's action. Seems to me he loses pretty much every hand that can put any more money into the pot(and that he has drawing dead) and is only ever going to find the King with this bet.

gumpzilla
06-30-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm folding pretty quickly regardles of MP2's action. Seems to me he loses pretty much every hand that can put any more money into the pot(and that he has drawing dead) and is only ever going to find the King with this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think TT-QQ (a very realistic group of hands for him to put you on) looks him up here 90% of the time.

Double Eagle
06-30-2005, 12:27 AM
But there's a second player in this hand who might also be willing to put more money in. If I have QQ/JJ he's certainly getting money out of me before the river and there are only 3-7 cards in the deck that can possibly kill his action. I think calling is the play here and it's not close.

MegaBet
06-30-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You must play very little if this is the worst you've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Per Harrington, this is a great flop for AA. There's only one card in the deck to beat him, and unfortunately MP2 had it. I would have raised preflop, but I see nothing really wrong with his play. I do commend you on your fold though.

Scooterdoo
06-30-2005, 12:54 AM
It's weird that you would even consider this the worst play you have ever seen. His flop play was fine -- no way to put the first player on a K. You might want to suggest that he should have made a big re-raise after you made the initial raise, but the flat call is fine every once in a while. Of course in hindsight a re-raise would have gotten the junky Kx to fold, but he should have folded anyway. Forget pot odds, he was most likely dominated and would be out of position by calling another 600 with that junk.

luvrhino
06-30-2005, 12:56 AM
I've seen much worse. Such as a gentleman with pocket 2's leading the River after the board made 2-pair, getting called, then raised, and then calling with the worst hand possible. Tragically, both his opponents didn't also have pocket 2's, so he didn't get a split pot he was hoping for.

That was fantastic. Sadly, i don't see him around anymore.

bravos1
06-30-2005, 01:05 AM
The AA play was OK.. not normal, but you have to mix it up every once and again he boy did he ever!!! You would have never put him on AA, and if the other guy was not in it, may have busted you (what would you have done if MP2 folded?).. The big question you should be asking is my the other moron put in an additional 600 w/ K8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif which is a pretty weak call that happened to pay big time for him! Happens all the time even if you played it correctly... gotta just move on and be happy you did the correct thing by laying down.

Double Eagle
06-30-2005, 01:17 AM
I tried to fix my OP to say "can he play the flop any worse" but didn't get to it in time.

No quarrel with the flat call pre-flop from the button, however the raise all in on the flop has to be incredibly EV- vs calling, not because he got called by the K but because of all the hands he blows out that might give otherwise give him action(times 2.) Geeze he effectively has the mortal nuts and there is only one card that can come that even has the potential to hurt him, what's the hurry?

Scooterdoo
06-30-2005, 01:22 AM
But the big overbet would also look to a pocket pair likes he's trying to steal the pot and he could get callers. Hey, it's not great, but it's not terrible either. Certainly not the worst play I've ever seen. Not even in the top 1,000.

Double Eagle
06-30-2005, 01:33 AM
OK you win, it's the worst bet with the nuts I've seen tonite.

MegaBet
06-30-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen much worse. Such as a gentleman with pocket 2's leading the River after the board made 2-pair, getting called, then raised, and then calling with the worst hand possible. Tragically, both his opponents didn't also have pocket 2's, so he didn't get a split pot he was hoping for.

That was fantastic. Sadly, i don't see him around anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once saw a 4-way pot to the river. The board had (no joke) a diamond royal flush. First guy goes all in, next 2 guys instantly call. The fourth guy thinks for a long time, then folds! That has got to be the all time worst play EVER! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bravos1
06-30-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I once saw a 4-way pot to the river. The board had (no joke) a diamond royal flush. First guy goes all in, next 2 guys instantly call. The fourth guy thinks for a long time, then folds! That has got to be the all time worst play EVER! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone just posted the same situation last week.. I got a good laugh. I'm too lazy right now to find the post and my appologies if it was you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TxDozerMan
06-30-2005, 10:42 AM
I see what you mean Double Eagle, I blow my stack here with AA as well, but I play it in a way that allows you to blow most of yours also!