PDA

View Full Version : Group 1 hand on the button and it folds around... raise or slow play?

12AX7
06-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Several times I've been dealt QQ, JJ, KK, AK on the button or one off the button and it folds around to me.

I'm usually torn between the thought of raising and getting no callers, thus wasting a premium hand on a blind steal... or just calling and getting sucked out on!

Both outcomes have happened, so I'm wondering what the correct action is in that spot.

Raise and accept you may only earn the blinds?
Call and get sucked out on with some regularity?

thesharpie
06-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Raise if you attempt to steal blinds at a high percent. Maybe limp if both blinds are rocks. Raise if one of them is loose or you've stole from them a few times and could be in the mood to play back.

I would always raise AK JJ and QQ regardless of the blinds.

thirddan
06-29-2005, 11:35 PM
raise and take the blinds, sometimes you will take the blinds, sometimes you will get action and win, sometimes you will get action and lose, with these hands you will always come out on top, they are just too good to lose in the long run...

some people undervalue picking up the blinds, that is .75BB in your stack, you might be surprised but .75BB is a decent haul for the upper/premium unpaired starting hands...accordring to pokerroom AKo is only worth .51BB, so be happy to pick up the blidns...

toss
06-29-2005, 11:36 PM
You also want to raise for metagame reasons. You'll be raising a LOT in this spot so you want to showdown with legitamate hands too.