PDA

View Full Version : It's Las Vegas and I came here to gamble! (WSOP satellite HU story)

jenium
06-29-2005, 10:22 PM
It's a 125$ Satellite at the WSOP. Winner takes two 500$ tourney chips +120 cash, but it seems like 75% of the time, once it goes into heads up with equal stacks, deals start being negotiated. I'm heads up with 7000:3000 chip disadvantage (with 300 600 blinds) but i double up from the SB with 86 vs. A3.
As soon as i win the hand my opponent offers me a chopped pot. I now have an edge in chips, plus my poker coach (and brother) curtains is watching, plus the guy is way too tight, so i say "NO DEAL unless i get the extra 125 in cash" Then he insults me and calls me "very lucky" (for pushing and winning with q6 vs.AK,getting AA with 500 chips left, etc.) and says he's a much better player than me. The dealer is also bullying me into taking a deal! I say "It's LAS VEGAS AND I CAME HERE TO GAMBLE. And I'm obviously luckier than you."

Four hands later, i increase my chip lead by pushing. I have about 5:3 when i pick up 3s from the SB. I push and he looks at his cards and says "I'm going to call you sweetie, but i want to give you one last chance to chop the pot. By the way, i have a pair"

What would you do?!!?!?

adanthar
06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
A little over 6:4 in chips, 20% chance to win, 80% chance to be down 3:7 (we'll say exactly 20 b/c of 22)...yep, crapshoot. May as well split it now.

edit: In curtains' spot, flying over some drapes is +EV

Phil Van Sexton
06-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Ask Curtains for his opinion. Do the opposite.

btw - I decline. There's no way his pair is higher than 7s, and 2s is a strong possibility. Plus, he might be lying about his pair or his call (especially after you decline).

Karak567
06-29-2005, 10:58 PM
I think you need to figure out what % of the time he is lying and what % of the time hs is telling the truth.

Then figure out if he is telling the truth, how often he has 2s or 3s and how often you will win then.

If he has a higher PP how often will you win?

If he is lying, it is most likely a coinflip, how often will you win?

Put all these numbers together and get your EV!

Or you could just take the chop :-P.

jenium
06-29-2005, 11:29 PM
I shook his hand and said "You better not have 22"

He turned over.... 33!!!

We had a good laugh, and noone hit a flush.

Part of the handshake was that if he lies about having a pair, deal is off.

MastiffPaul
06-29-2005, 11:51 PM
I decline, then knife him in the parking lot for calling me "sweetie."

That's +EV, right?

Slim Pickens
06-30-2005, 12:10 AM
I never chop... anything... ever. And kick him in the curtains for calling you "sweetie."

Scuba Chuck
06-30-2005, 01:32 AM
I seriously think him asking for a chop by saying he has a pair is a tell.

The tell is that he has a weak pair. IMO, you should bluff him back, telling him to call his weak pair against your higher pair.

Edit: Oh I see he did have a low pair, as I thought. Ah well, good chop.

Nick M
06-30-2005, 01:55 AM
I think you also need to figure out what percentage of the time you will comeback to win, if you lose the hand. I probably call out of spite. Spite, unfortunately, is not +EV...damn

johnnybeef
06-30-2005, 02:14 AM
this ? all depends on whether or not you are playing this as a cheap way to get into a tourney. otherwise, i chop this.

ps. tell the dealer to shut his mouth. he is only saying this so he can get payed for another table, and/or take a break for a few.

Gotmilk
07-06-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I decline, then knife him in the parking lot for calling me "sweetie."

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy had reason to be a little cranky, so let him live this time :-) DCJ311 and I were there being drunk and pestering the game in general. The guy had somehow survived being down to 3 handed vs Jenium and ashleyb, the two luckiest players in the world!