PDA

View Full Version : Trial against Saddam Hussain

Arnfinn Madsen
06-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi,
I know Saddam Hussain is responsible for murder and should be put to trial in Iraq which he will be.

However, I now read in that a Arabi newspaper claims that Donald Rumsfeld has promised him to not be sentenced to death if he encourages insurgents to lay down arms.

Does the disrespect for law and order inside the American Administration know no boundaries. Isn't it up to the Iraqis to decide his punishment and make eventual bargains with him?

shots
06-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Isn't it possible the Iraqi athorities sanctioned this deal?

MMMMMM
06-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Source? Confirmation?

Arnfinn Madsen
06-29-2005, 08:32 PM
If the Iraqi government would make the proposal it is propably the smartest they could do and I guess it is OK.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-29-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Source? Confirmation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://www.alquds.co.uk/) It is in there somewhere /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-29-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The London-based al-Quds al-Arabi Wednesday reported details of the most recent hearing of toppled Iraqi President Saddam Hussein by the court two weeks ago, saying the former leader insisted on signing his testimony as the "president of Iraq." The independent Palestinian-owned daily quoted sources close to the procedures as saying Saddam was questioned in the presence of his Iraqi lawyer, Khalil Duleimi, after giving him a short notice of the session due to security reasons. The sources told the paper the former leader appeared in good health and high morale as he was questioned over his role in the killing of hundreds of people from al-Dujail in the early 1980s after a failed attempt on his life when an explosion targeted his convoy during a visit to the area. They said Saddam denied he had ordered the killing of hundreds of people, but after the judge told him his former vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan and his half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti testified he had ordered "revenge mass killings," Saddam said, "If they said that and they signed this testimony, then I am responsible." One of his defense lawyer told the paper Saddam doubted Ramadan and Tikriti had testified to that effect, "but he behaved as a president should and took responsibility." The sources also quoted Saddam as telling his lawyer U.S. occupation forces will have to negotiate with the "honorable Iraqis, and the enemy will open its hand for peace and understanding." The paper said while Duleimi told the paper earlier that Saddam informed him he had not met any U.S. officials inside his prison, other sources expected such a meeting to take place. They added U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was trying to get Saddam to urge the armed resistance to disarm and reach a peaceful solution in return for preventing the court to sentence Saddam to death. It said the toppled leader refused to negotiate as a prisoner, but only as the president of Iraq and after an American withdrawal from the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

shots
06-29-2005, 09:08 PM
So it's basically an unconfirmed rumor?

Arnfinn Madsen
06-29-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
........ a Arabi newspaper claims ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as I wrote.