PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

NoChance
06-29-2005, 07:57 PM
I just got back from seeing War of the Worlds. It's a pretty darn good movie. There were a few spots where it had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. I would rate it 9 out of 10.

There were a few things I didn't like about the movie but I am afraid to post the details here because many have not seen it. I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

Edge34
06-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Saw it last night (yeah, before it came out, connections rule). I gotta say it was, in fact, very good, but I'm not sure I'd call it 9/10. Probably 8/10 tops. Very good, but not a classic.

bugstud
06-29-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from seeing War of the Worlds. It's a pretty darn good movie. There were a few spots where it had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. I would rate it 9 out of 10.

There were a few things I didn't like about the movie but I am afraid to post the details here because many have not seen it. I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not quite signs "they're allergic to water!" esque, but it's [censored] up there

I give it like a 6.

SossMan
06-29-2005, 09:30 PM
yeah, 6 tops...story kind of sucked and was slow at points. cool effects though.

lastsamurai
06-29-2005, 09:42 PM
how would you compare it to the original?

MoreWineII
06-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Despite Tom Cruise, I plan to see this.

Phoenix1010
06-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Just saw it. Very well directed (almost goes without saying), and good acting jobs all around, although Tom Cruise is miscast. It was really going strong until about half way through the story, which incidentally is when they decided to end the movie. "I don't really know how we're going to wrap this up, so lets just stop here." I won't ruin the ending, but it's a copout. Pretty decent overall though.

RED_RAIN
06-30-2005, 01:19 AM
Absolutely horrible and such a waste of time. 3/10 only for a few of the effects. The storyline, realism, acting, that annoying azz girl, all make it such a horrible movie even though SS directed it.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-30-2005, 01:36 AM
I love Tom Cruise <font color="white"> but this is more to show off my awesome avatar </font>

squeek12
06-30-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it. Very well directed (almost goes without saying), and good acting jobs all around, although Tom Cruise is miscast. It was really going strong until about half way through the story, which incidentally is when they decided to end the movie. "I don't really know how we're going to wrap this up, so lets just stop here." I won't ruin the ending, but it's a copout. Pretty decent overall though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to be a spoiler, but does it end like the book?

-Skeme-
06-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Is it like the original at all? Do they try and nuke the [censored] out of the crafts?

oreogod
06-30-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Thats why Im wondering why ppl think its a cop out. Was the book a cop out to?

Realistically what do u think would happen to aliens who come invade our planet? On a biologic level they are not used to the things we are.

With what happened to the aliens at the end of the movie, you think they would have thought ahead about such a simple biologic idea.

squeek12
06-30-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Thats why Im wondering why ppl think its a cop out. Was the book a cop out to?

Realistically what do u think would happen to aliens who come invade our planet? On a biologic level they are not used to the things we are.

With what happened to the aliens at the end of the movie, you think they would have thought ahead about such a simple biologic idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, all of this space travel technology and they don't think to cover this in their planning, wtf? Consider the time this was written though, maybe the ending was more surprising to the contemporary audience.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty weak that someone would see the movie, then call the ending a copout when it ends just as the book does. READ THE BOOK.

Blarg
06-30-2005, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I think germ theory was still new and exciting back then. The day wasn't far removed where doctors and hospitals were almost spitefully unclean.

Grivan
06-30-2005, 03:25 AM
This is the worst movie I have seen so far this summer, and I go to a movie almost every weekend. This movie was good for about a half an hour, the rest of the movie was tediously slow. And the actors didn't fit the roles, Tom Cruise was the worst fit, and Dakota Fanning played her role alright I guess (all she did was scream and look scared, she was annoying).

Basically just because a book was revolutionary in 1889 or whenever it was written doesnt mean it is neccesarilly a good story for a movie, and it probably means it isnt a good choice because science fiction has grown from this over the last 100 years. Regressing to a form of science fiction from 100 years ago makes for a boring movie.

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 03:43 AM
macdaddy i must deliver props to your awesome avatar. well done.

diddle
06-30-2005, 03:47 AM
aliens can't handle the germs so they die when exposed to air

******SPOILER

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 03:49 AM
why are you such a jerkoff. you could have put that in white or something. thats like posting a naked picture and underneath it typing "NSFW"

thanks alot.

squeek12
06-30-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
aliens can't handle the germs so they die when exposed to air

******SPOILER

[/ QUOTE ]
You moran, you're supposed to put *****SPOILER at the top of the page. What a penis.

Stu Pidasso
06-30-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why are you such a jerkoff. you could have put that in white or something. thats like posting a naked picture and underneath it typing "NSFW"

thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....the story was written back in 1898 and the ending is already common knowledge. His transgression is more like posting a naked picture of a 107 woman and not typing NSFW.

Stu

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 04:07 AM
i did not know that the story was written in 88 and did not know the ending, and i do not think that i am alone there. however if i really cared about knowing what the ending was then i wouldnt have clicked this thread as that is just a bad idea to begin with. i really dont care that much but i do find posting the ending to be very inconsiderate.

ChoicestHops
06-30-2005, 04:09 AM
Um, not all of us have seen the original movie.

Are you really stupid enough to put spoiler down at the bottom or were you trying to be a smartass?

Klepton
06-30-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys are idiots if you went to a thread about a movie without seeing it first.

i liked the movie, but i disagree that tom cruise didn't really fit the role that well. he was a douche-baggy type father who didn't pay attention to his kids of wife, but became a hero to his kids (or at leats one of em) when he had to.

halfway through this film, this is gonna sound dumb, but it looked to me like the movie was a major poker tournament. tom cruise was the winner. he dodged every "land mine" and caught every river card possible, and by also making some good decisions, outlasted every other person and made it.

Stu Pidasso
06-30-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i did not know that the story was written in 88 and did not know the ending, and i do not think that i am alone there. however if i really cared about knowing what the ending was then i wouldnt have clicked this thread as that is just a bad idea to begin with. i really dont care that much but i do find posting the ending to be very inconsiderate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there are some people who still don't know that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father. Would you have called him a jerk off if he had written that spoiler in a thread about the latest Starwars movie?

Stu

daveymck
06-30-2005, 04:44 AM
I am pleased they havent changed the ending as Tom Cruise single handidly wiping out the alien invasion might have been too much to take.

Personally I think the story works also as a moral tale on a number of different levels but I am not sure if it is the intention of it.

oreogod
06-30-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the worst movie I have seen so far this summer, and I go to a movie almost every weekend. This movie was good for about a half an hour, the rest of the movie was tediously slow. And the actors didn't fit the roles, Tom Cruise was the worst fit, and Dakota Fanning played her role alright I guess (all she did was scream and look scared, she was annoying).

Basically just because a book was revolutionary in 1889 or whenever it was written doesnt mean it is neccesarilly a good story for a movie, and it probably means it isnt a good choice because science fiction has grown from this over the last 100 years. Regressing to a form of science fiction from 100 years ago makes for a boring movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you my friend havent seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants...or u have and think its a masterpiece. In which case your opinion sucks. Wait, it does. But alas you can think what you wish I suppose.

It was far better than Signs though. At least the illogic of the movie/book kills the logic behind signs. What a piece of crap that movie was. Cool but sucky at the same time.

oreogod
06-30-2005, 05:03 AM
Who thinks it was weird that the aliens had buried their machines way before Man was around...came back, then died of common germs.

You think this issue would have already been covered. Im mean, this is a basic biological problem when it comes to taking over planets. You are not immune to the germs on other planets.

Still it was anticlimatic but it wasnt a cop out...it does follow the ending of the book. Where do you think the idea of a computer virus came from in the ID4 movie?

PS. Am I the only one that laughed when TC threw the grenade at the tripod?

Blarg
06-30-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The original story made for such a compelling radio play that people across the U.S. panicked and made a sensation of some unknown dude named Orson Welles. It made a hugely popular movie that was rerun on t.v. for decades, and shown in theaters for decades after it was made -- not a common thing. The original movie was very fun; I've known many people who've seen it time and again and loved it.

I don't think you're giving the original story quite the credit it's due. It was a huge book, radio, AND movie hit. Blame the people who made the latest version if you don't like this latest version. You don't have to cast about to find where the blame belongs -- it belongs squarely on the shoulders of the people who brought you the movie you didn't like. What Spielberg &amp; Co. do doesn't retroactively make what they stole it from bad.

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 06:00 AM
yah youre right, i overreacted. my bad bro.

bugstud
06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys are idiots if you went to a thread about a movie without seeing it first.

i liked the movie, but i disagree that tom cruise didn't really fit the role that well. he was a douche-baggy type father who didn't pay attention to his kids of wife, but became a hero to his kids (or at leats one of em) when he had to.

halfway through this film, this is gonna sound dumb, but it looked to me like the movie was a major poker tournament. tom cruise was the winner. he dodged every "land mine" and caught every river card possible, and by also making some good decisions, outlasted every other person and made it.

[/ QUOTE ]

movie should have been over, say....10 times by then.

NoChance
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
I will admit that I did not know the ending prior to seeing it. I obviously knew about the whole story about it being broadcast over the radio and people freaking out...but not the ending.

Anyway, what I didn't like was there was just too much TOm Cruise. There are not very many characters in this movie so what you get is an overdose of him. One detail I noticed at the begining bothered me during the movie. During the first lighting stikes, after they are done, the movie makes it very clear that all mechanical devices are not working. Even his watch stops. yet, moments later they are out on the street and there are people taking snap shots with their cameras.

The special effects were pretty good. There was suspense because many times you couldn't really see what was happening until it was over. You could only hear the sounds.

You guys are probably right in that it wasn't a 9. I thought it was pretty good and since I had just come from there and enjoyed it, I probably rated it a bit high. Anyway, I did like it better than Revenge of the Sith but then again, I am not really a Star Wars fan.

diddle
06-30-2005, 05:19 PM
oh man that's funny.

How can you have passed middle school and not know the ending to "War of the Worlds"?

It's a famous book/radio play/phenomenom. I figured most people to be more cultured than to not know one of the MOST famous stories of modern times.

Seriously, it's like not knowing the ending to the tortoise and the hare. IMO, I did you a favor.

Luv2DriveTT
06-30-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

U must be too young to have seen the origional, or heard Orson Well's radio play. I have experianced both, I thought everyone over the age of 20 knows this story inside and out by now.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

edtost
06-30-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
U must be too young to have seen the origional, or heard Orson Well's radio play. I have experianced both, I thought everyone over the age of 20 knows this story inside and out by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just way too old for this group.

Luv2DriveTT
06-30-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just way too old for this group.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true my friend... so true. See you at Bunkfest! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bugstud
06-30-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not that they used the original ending - rather that it was horribly implimented and more or less happened randomly. The whole movie was disjointed and horseshitty.

brassnuts
06-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Meh... 6/10.

First half was a solid 7.5/10. Second half sucked.

****Spoiler*** (I guess)

The happy ending was [censored] retarded. Living in Boston, how was that house not destroyed and everyone not dead? Also, when that dipshit.... what was son's name?... whatever, when Dipshit was revealed as being still alive, I had already forgot about his character. Then, remembering about it, I was actually disappointed he was alive.

Klepton
06-30-2005, 06:48 PM
i will agree that keeping the kid (robbie) alive was pretty dumb. it made it a happy ending.

the whole theme of the movie was a father's duty: keeping your children safe and sacrificing everything to do so. robbie wanted to be on his own. they're staring at each other for like 10 seconds while he's saying "let me go."

so he did. and he died. or should have at least.

but then he's actually alive? wtf?

the brother is supposed ot be the wife of the character in the original wotw. she is thought to be dead and then walks in on him at the ending so everyone is happy. i guess seeing as it's a remake they did the same thing so people could be happy. lame.

Grivan
06-30-2005, 06:51 PM
I understand what you are saying Blarg, but my point was that if this book was published today by an unknown author it would not be such a major success, sense science fiction has evolved from the time when this was written.

Grivan
06-30-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then you my friend havent seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants...or u have and think its a masterpiece. In which case your opinion sucks. Wait, it does. But alas you can think what you wish I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't seen Sisterhood of the Traveling pants, but Alexis Bledel is pretty hot, so it is possible that I would enjot this movie more then I did War of the Worlds.

oreogod
06-30-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not that they used the original ending - rather that it was horribly implimented and more or less happened randomly. The whole movie was disjointed and horseshitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree about this though.

The martians went from kicking ass to the next scene...they're dying. There was no real transistion...it went boom Martians kicking ass to...BOOM the're dying all over the place.

Personally I liked the scenes with Tim Robbins in the basement. Good stuff.

oreogod
06-30-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't seen Sisterhood of the Traveling pants, but Alexis Bledel is pretty hot, so it is possible that I would enjot this movie more then I did War of the Worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt mean that to come off harsh on the opinion thing. I was slightly drunk when I wrote that and had just come from seeing the movie.

TheCroShow
07-03-2005, 04:42 AM
i enjoyed the movie. i'm 26 and do not know the story behind wotw, MY BAD I AM SO SORRY OMG I AM NOT CULTURED IN THE SLIGHTEST! just didn't have the chance or the motivation to investigate this story.

anyway, the ending should have been described a little better. not everyone going to this movie will know the ending or why they died. even after morgan freeman gives us the cliff's notes version, i overheard many ppl say (as i was walking out of the theater) "why did they die?"

overall i enjoyed this movie, i'd give it an 8/10.

to the morans that read this thread and *GASP* had the ending ruined for them.....

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images1/morans.jpg

Blarg
07-03-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand what you are saying Blarg, but my point was that if this book was published today by an unknown author it would not be such a major success, sense science fiction has evolved from the time when this was written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I always try to clear my mind of such things so I give the work a fair chance. Otherwise you miss out on the miracle something really fairly was when it came out. Which it still is, fairly. The imitations and what came after enhance what came before, for me, not cancel it out or diminish it.

andyfox
07-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Horrible movie. If you're over twenty-two and liked it, with all due respect, you're immature. Speilberg has made this movie at least twice before. It was kind of a mix of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Jurassic Park, only not as entertaining as either.

My favorite shot was when we first see Tim Robbins. The camera comes in close on his face. I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been a voice-over saying, "Look, it's Tim Robbins." I thought we might be in for some fun, hten, but no, Robbins simply did the same thing he did in Mystic River, namely, try to act creepy.

Maybe it's just that I'm 52, but this was a POS. Last movie I saw Cruise in was Collateral, in which I thought he was excellent. He was particularly boring in this one.

whiskeytown
07-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I haven't read the comments, but I've heard a couple people bitch about the ending -

it's not as bad as Independance Day (let's write a virus on an Apple for an alien computer code and inject it onto the master computer and start blowing these things apart ONLY when they open up their big guns to fire)

Truth is, it's actually pretty faithful to the spirit of the book - people don't understand that this isn't a movie about conflict like ID4, it's like those movies where the storm or tornado comes and all you can do is try to survive it - it's not about combat, it's a story of survival - some folks don't like that...

I only had one little beef with it, but I don't wanna spoil it - (ok, what the hell) - the idea that the tripods have been buried for yrs. was stupid - they should have just let them land like normal.

RB

ThaSaltCracka
07-04-2005, 11:24 PM
that is one lame ass ending.

JMP300z
07-04-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but im not sure if Alexis herself could have saved this movie from being the worst movie ive seen in a long time. The last few movies ive seen: Grind, some 80's movie about an aerobics competition, You got Served, and Wimbledon....all of which were about 100 times better than WOTW.

-JP

Gilmore Girls rules.

fryKing
07-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm 30 and don't think I'm particularly immature, and neither is my wife, and we both liked the movie a lot. I thought the first half was outstanding and it went downhill from there. It did a good job of capturing the terror of being an relatively ordinary person in a horrible situation.

Ulysses
07-05-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Ulysses
07-05-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, not all of us have seen the original movie.

Are you really stupid enough to put spoiler down at the bottom or were you trying to be a smartass?

[/ QUOTE ]

IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ SPOILERS, DONT CLICK THREADS TITLED WAR OF THE WORLDS!

PassiveCaller
07-05-2005, 01:16 AM
I don't know how there's so many people that liked this. Did it have action? Sure... Beyond that it was a terribly easy to put together movie with a cope out ending.

The action kept me entertained due to the action for awhile but beyond that it just didnt cut the bill in any mannerism. It was short on plot, short on a lot of things except having a big name, and doing the things necessary to take peoples money.

If you enjoyed it you don't have a very complex taste in movies.

Just typical Hollywood assembly line crap.

Jazza
07-05-2005, 01:43 AM
i liked it

9.5/10

edit for some yang to the abundace of yin: i liked it because of the old school sci fi feel to it

are there things that don't make sense? yes, as there are in just about every sci fi film

Popinjay
07-05-2005, 01:47 AM
This movie had some incredible scenes but largely was not very good. The special effects were extremely good. Best scene by far for me was the basement scene with Tim Robbins. I am not ashamed to say that my heart was pumping hard throughout most of that.

A lot of the other parts were pretty bad though, especially the slow beginning and the happy/abrupt (possibly copout) ending. I thought the major theme of the movie was what people will do to survive and how they do it. Which of course culminates in the ending where the non-human beings meet their doom.

pryor15
07-05-2005, 01:47 AM
it started well, but then became pretty dumb over the last 45 minutes.

that shot where they're running through the woods and the clothes are all falling down around them was pretty sweet.

andyfox
07-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Yes, an artistic shot. Speilberg is a master filmmaker, I'm a big fan. I think he may be the most important person in the history of American cinema.

But I still thought the movie was terrible. The scene where the monster's eye searched for them in Robbins' basement was interminable.

brassnuts
07-05-2005, 01:55 AM
In more than one scene, I found myself thinking, "I can't believe this is a Speilberg film. Does he not realize how much this sucks?"

andyfox
07-05-2005, 01:56 AM
My wife liked the movie too (she's 47). I suppose I just don't get it. An ordinary person in a horrible situation: yes. But an ordinary person in a make-believe situation. I disliked Twister intensely too, but at least those ordinary people were facing real-life horrible situations, not an eye of an alien poking around Tim Robbins' basement looking for people to suck up.

andyfox
07-05-2005, 01:58 AM
To me, the theme was the importance of family sticking together. That's why I didn't mind the ending--the ending was when the family reunited, what happened to the monsters or aliens or whatever they were didn't matter.

Edge34
07-05-2005, 02:12 AM
The Tim Robbins scene in the basement, IMO, made the movie bearable through the end.

I liked it for what it was. It wasn't great, and I was definitely generous giving it the "8 out of 10, tops" that I did...but hey...

pryor15
07-05-2005, 05:25 AM
the lack of logic in these things always amazes me. the whole "gee, our major metropolitan area is under attack from aliens. i think it'd be a good idea to go to another major metropolitan area where we'll surely be safe." me? i'm heading for the middle of nowhere.

could the scenes of them hiding in the basement have been any longer? bloody hell. and since when did we establish conflict between 2 characters by having one of them wear a yankees hat and the other one a red sox hat? i must have missed the memo on that one.

pryor15
07-05-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's at least 50 years past the date when the ending of 'war of the worlds' is a spoiler. it's only one of the most famous stories in modern literature/film/radio and has been copied (see 'signs') numerous times. if you don't know the ending you really haven't been paying attention since, well, the day you were born. and if somehow you don't already know, then don't click on the damn link.

The Yugoslavian
07-05-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt this movie was actually quite disappointing. The special effects were quite good and a good job was done to really make the movie as *stressful* as possible...including a few haunting scenes that really stuck.

However, what actually happened was basically Tom Cruise running through an obstacle course holding a little girl for like over an hour. Not only that, but the audience doesn't care whether he makes it or doesn't...the way the movie is set up it simply doesn't matter. Whether or not the book ended the way it did, the ending is pretty dumb (not to mention the alien machines as well)...I'd expect much, much, much more of a ridiculously superior alien species.

I'd give this one a 4/10...b/c I'm not sure I even enjoyed it (and I enjoy almost every movie I see) although I felt that because so much of the cinematography and effects were well done I can't go any lower.

Yugoslav

Ulysses
07-05-2005, 05:44 AM
1) I agree, way too much time in the basement.

2) I also agree, we're in a whole different millenium now. Write a new ending. I mean, now that we've been able to send men into space and have figured out about stuff like decontamination processes, it's hard to imagine the aliens wouldn't think to at least boil their human soup or something.

Nonetheless, I thought it was an enjoyable movie-going experience. Lots of stuff blowing up and flying around, that was cool.

oreogod
07-05-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Gilmore Girls rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes it does. My gf is into it, downloaded every season and made me watch it. Good stuff, Im all caught up. Think Luke and Lor will get married? Who knows, but I eagerly await.

Someone quick, get me a vagina.

oreogod
07-05-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) I agree, way too much time in the basement.

2) I also agree, we're in a whole different millenium now. Write a new ending. I mean, now that we've been able to send men into space and have figured out about stuff like decontamination processes, it's hard to imagine the aliens wouldn't think to at least boil their human soup or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated this was my biggest problem with the movie. Now the movie said they also had their damn machines buried on earth for sometime, wouldnt they have found some way to become immune to the germs they came across here? Or at least where some sort of life-suit?

Movie was cool but at the end when from BAM aliens kicking ass, to BAM next scene their dying. To disjointed there.

Happy ending sucked. Even my gf said the kid probably should have died.

SCfuji
07-05-2005, 06:53 AM
started out really cool - i thought the movie was going to rule. then it dragged on with aliens killing and then it abruptly ends.

i never read the book or heard the radio scare stuff but i had heard that the book was really good. tim robbins character made everybody laugh in the theatre i was in when they first showed him. i give this movie a 5/10 (10 for the first half and 0 for the last half)

meep_42
07-05-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's not as bad as Independance Day (let's write a virus on an Apple for an alien computer code and inject it onto the master computer and start blowing these things apart ONLY when they open up their big guns to fire)

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, can't you warn people of spoilers?

-d

NoTalent
07-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I give the special effects a 9/10. Very good and the sound was great.

I give the story 3/10, and I'm being generous. The ending was so utterly stupid that I forgot that the rest of the movie was somewhat decent. The daughter always screaming and crying really got on my nerves

swede123
07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm definitely in the minority here in that I liked it alot. I enjoyed Cruise's performance, Dakota Fanning didn't get on my nerves (I imagine most eight year olds would be pretty freaked out if Aliens started exterminating humanity...one would expect some hysterics and screaming), and the effects were superb.

The ending didn't really bother me actually. I mean, perhaps the aliens were prepared for the bugs of Earth at whatever point they buried their machines, they just didn't plan on things evolving and changing.

My grade would be A-, 8.5/10. Definitely one of those movies that needs to be seen on a big screen with great sound.

Swede

TheCroShow
07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
i also enjoyed this movie, i thought it was cool. to the guy that did not understand the conflict between cruise's character and his son and the whole yankees hat vs. redsox hat..sigh...it was clear that his son did not like him, so when he put on the redsox hat, that was just a kick in the pants so to speak.

i'm glad they did not have tom cruise pwn up the aliens at the end..THAT would have been cheesy!

samjjones
07-07-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's at least 50 years past the date when the ending of 'war of the worlds' is a spoiler. it's only one of the most famous stories in modern literature/film/radio and has been copied (see 'signs') numerous times. if you don't know the ending you really haven't been paying attention since, well, the day you were born. and if somehow you don't already know, then don't click on the damn link.

[/ QUOTE ]
This just in...Jesus was crucified, and the Titanic sank. Guess "The Passion of the Christ" and "Titanic" are ruined for you now, too...

The once and future king
07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
The chances of anything coming from mars is a 1,000,000:1 yet still they come.

Chikawaka 70s elctro guitar.

Do you see why?

Here is a clue: ulllllllaaaaaaaaaa. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000025CO001003/0/103-7279249-5100634)

TheCroShow
07-09-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This just in...Jesus was crucified, and the Titanic sank. Guess "The Passion of the Christ" and "Titanic" are ruined for you now, too...

[/ QUOTE ]

wish i could remember where it was posted, probably just a prank but someone commented on "The Passion of the Christ" and said something to the extent of how much the movie sucks because the main character dies.

The Dude
07-09-2005, 10:33 AM
I can't believe how many people really enjoyed this movie. A 9 out of 10? You guys are frickin' nuts. Really, really, ridiculously bad movie. Too much Tom Cruise, too many inconsistencies (camcorders working when all other electronics don't, aliens that spend more time looking through a basement than it would take to just blow it up, etc.), and I wanted to shoot the son myself. The only thing good in this movie was Dakota Fanning. That girl is amazing.

I'm pretty lenient when it comes to judging movies, but this was awful.

Hamish McBagpipe
07-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Ray goes back to the house and gets batteries at home because he saw a camcorder working. So, the EMF only affects a certain area or for a certain period. His battery operated watch did stop though. I think it is foolish to think SS put an obvious shot of a camcorder there right after the power outage scenes without a reason.

IggyWH
07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
If anyone cares, there's a bootleg floating around that's great quality. It appears to be ripped from a DVD which seems quite odd... it's definitely not a cam job. Normally the only time you can get high quality bootlegs of new movies is around Oscar time since they put the movies on DVD to send to the voters.