PDA

View Full Version : BB defense: 54s

Chairman Wood
06-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I only have 20 or so hands with villian. Appears tight as in he plays less than 20 % or so hands and he hasn't shown any aggresion yet. SB in front of me I have a few more hands on not much. Isn't overly loose so I don't think villain is in one of those situations where he is raising fully expecting SB to call. This does seem simple but I'm trying to work on some fundamentals and I guess I'll start with blind defense. This felt really icky. I would like some suggested lines here. Almost always they will come at you on the flop but

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (3.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 3.20 BB

pokerjunky
06-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Are you supposed to defend with 54s? Not trying to be sarcastic but I was wondering how low of a standard one should have against a blind steal. Anyway, your hand is likely best on the flop so I think a checkraise is in order. Lead the turn and if you get raised drop it.

damaniac
06-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Normally I'd check-raise this flop, but I need to experiment with other lines and see how opponents react to say flop donkbets, flop calls and then turn donkebts, flop call/turn c/r, etc.

Were you check/calling, check/folding, or check/raising the turn? I'd actually like a bet, as opponents will sometimes check behind with overs and give themselves a free card, whereas your bet gives them a chance to protect your hand, and perhaps get a weaker opponent to fold something like 88, although I don't know how often he both holds something like that and folds it. Not to mention you can safely fold to a raise, as he most likely has you beat and the pot is small.

I figure once he checked the turn, your best bet is to induce a bluff from A hi or whatever he has, as he is more likely to bet it than call with it. The only thing I can think of is if would be more apt to call with a worse hand if he thinks you might bet a missed flush draw or something, but we clearly don't have enough of a read to establish that.

Chairman Wood
06-29-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you check/calling, check/folding, or check/raising the turn? I'd actually like a bet, as opponents will sometimes check behind with overs and give themselves a free card, whereas your bet gives them a chance to protect your hand, and perhaps get a weaker opponent to fold something like 88, although I don't know how often he both holds something like that and folds it. Not to mention you can safely fold to a raise, as he most likely has you beat and the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]
c/calling. I figure if he is bluffing, let him keep bluffing. That would be a great plan if I was in position. I believe the call the flop lead the turn line is a good one here as you suggest.
[ QUOTE ]
I figure once he checked the turn, your best bet is to induce a bluff from A hi or whatever he has, as he is more likely to bet it than call with it. The only thing I can think of is if would be more apt to call with a worse hand if he thinks you might bet a missed flush draw or something, but we clearly don't have enough of a read to establish that.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thougts exactly, why I checked the river.

Argus
06-29-2005, 08:06 PM
To the poster that was incredulous about defending the BB with 45s, yes you are "supposed" to defend with it. I can't imagine folding it except against the tightest of thieves in this position. You are getting good pot odds to call, and you're only in deep trouble against a pocket pair (who you can still suck out on).

As for checking the river, I think I prefer a bet. After the check-through on the turn it really looks like villain has an ace-high (or maybe king-high) hand he wants to show down as cheaply as possible. The turn check through is setting him up to call the river bet since he must expect you to take a stab with anything and he is ready to call your bluff. The thing is you aren't bluffing: you have a pair so value bet it.

I like the way you played it, although I'll admit my line is to donkbet the turn. I strongly believe 45 is the best hand here, and villain is faced with calling unprofitably in a small pot or folding his overs with the nagging doubt of bluff in the back of his mind.

HajiShirazu
06-29-2005, 08:16 PM
I think I like a bet on the turn or a checkraise on the flop and turn lead (I would probably play it this way but the turn donkbet is popular and might be a better line), you're often ahead and he often has 6-10 outs to beat you. The ten wasn't a great card on the river but you're still better off betting and hoping ace high calls than letting him bet his pairs and check his ace highs.

Trix
06-29-2005, 09:06 PM
You have an easy valuebet on the end, Ax, 22-33 calls, maybe K8-K7.

There are lots of lines you can take and most depends how he plays.

Check-calling all the way is nice if he will bet anything all the way ofcourse. Getting more aggro, depends how realiable the info you may gain is.

hicherbie
06-29-2005, 09:11 PM
i think this is a bit low to defend with, at least if its just you and CO in the hand.

but now that you did call, check raise the flop and lead.