PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Trip Report (WSOP sideline report)

stankybank
06-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Bet on black. Won a quick hundred.

Spent ~$800 at two different Strip Clubs. Don't know why I spent that much money on a tease other than the fact that I was wasted. Stupid chemicals.

Donkey'd away $1400 at the Bellagio 2-5 NL game. Drank Vodka tonics and Heineken's non-stop. Played virtually every single hand, usually raising PF or calling raises PF and/or betting flops or raising weak bets. Basically, I played like a fool. For some reason, I couldn't take that game seriously. I should've because the play seems pretty terrible and there's probably some decent change you can make playing ABC poker. I should've listened to my own advice. Next time.

Played at the 1-2 NL game at the Wynn while waiting for my 5-10 NL game. Got someone to lay down AA on a J87r flop when I held JQo. We both had ~$500 stacks. He was scared I flopped a straight. I showed. I left on my BB.

Played 2-5 NL for 30 minutes or so. Nothing really special. Won a stack before I got called to my 5-10 game. Game was pretty good then got really dead. I tried to bluff a guy at the river sensing weakness on a paired board that also had 3 diamonds showing. He called w/ AdJd. Ugh. Then, on the very next hand, I ran into AA w/ my KK and lost a decent amount of money when we got it all-in PF. I left shortly after. I plan on booking my room there next time.

Stopped by the Rio. Pretty awesome. I never been to a WSOP before and I kinda wish I went before all this blew up. The events are being held at the Convention Center way in the back and it's a walk from the main Valet. I was getting really amped just walking there being the dork that I am. I saw a bunch of poker 'celebs'. Some quick ones I recall from the top of my head:

Raymer playing in the NL $2000 event I believe. Didn't watch much. Saw him go all-in against someone else, not sure about stack sizes, other guy folded, Raymer didn't show. He had one of those long fossils as a card protector. He was shorter than I thought.

Barry Greenstein and Humberto Brenes playing at the same table for quite some time. Didn't watch too much. Barry was really stoic when playing. He barely moves around other than to switch the hand he's resting his chin on. He doesn't shuffle chips. He doesn't talk. He doesn't do anything other than play poker. What a smart man.

Chau Giang and Joe Cassidy (beat DN in a HU LHE match for $200K I believe) playing at the same table. Chau is short. Joe seemed like he was playing in some sort of Zen-style. In fact, I noticed a lot of the pros play like that. I'm gonna start doing that more.

Jennifer Harman playing but not really paying attention. She wasn't seated close to the table and opted to sort of lean back and listen to her iPod. It's hard to imagine her playing in the Big Game night after night. If I didn't know she's a poker player, I might mistake her for a teacher or something.

Clonie Gowan hads lots of people watching her. Mostly guys.

David Williams had no one watching him.

Jesus looks like Jesus.

Mike the Mouth, Chip Jett, Flack, Juanda, Perry Friedman, Annie Duke, David Chui, and a bunch of others were playing in different events as well. One was $5K LHE and one was $2K NLHE. The $5K event went to the final table.

Railbirded a live NL 50-100 game for several minutes. Antonio the Magician and Scott Fischman were playing, though not at the same time. Seemed like good action. One hand I watched: not sure if there was a raise PF but it's HU going into the flop. Some guy checks his hand on a Qxx flop, other guy checks as well. Turn is a J. There's now 2 hearts on board. 1st guy checks, other guy bets $2K. 1st guy check-raises to $5K straight. Other guy pushes pretty fast. 1st guy is thinking. Other guy has 1st guy covered by a lot. I think 1st guy had about $5K left. He's asking how many times you wanna run it if I call and meanwhile guy who pushes says 'once'. I'm pretty sure everyone at the table, myself included, thought the 1st guy had a flush draw or something. Pair + flush draw or straight + flush draw at least. Even AKs. Anyhow, guy who pushes says we'll run it once if you call. He gets called. River is a heart completing flush.

1st guy had AA. 2nd guy had JJ for turned set. Sick. Several people frowned and questioned the AA guy for calling. He got booed and sort of laughed on for not having a flush draw. He re-bought.

Watched Phil Ivey win his bracelet in the $5000 w/ rebuy PL Omaha event. When it was down to 3, the play slowed down a lot and didn't end until like 2-3 AM. Glad I stuck around though because Phil Ivey plays damn pretty good poker. They don't show you all the little pots the players fight for and all the button steals and position bets and limping and on and on and on that makes poker interesting. Phil Ivey really seems like he understands the game flawlessly. He is extremely focused at the table. You can tell by his eyes. He finally cracked a smile when he won though. He didn't even know how to put on the bracelet and had to ask someone (either family member or friend) to put it on for him. Thought that was kinda funny. He did some interviews and talked about how he doesn't play that many tournaments because of the grind and the level of focus he has to bring into each and every day, such as this 3 day event. He mentioned playing in the 'Big Game' and how Barry Greenstein called him up couple days before and told him about this event. I thought that was pretty cool. Robert Williamson III has the biggest, loudest cheering section. Even when it went fold, fold to Robert's BB, his cheering section went pretty crazy. Then when it was a limped pot, check, check, button bet, blinds fold, his crowd went ballistics. When he actually won a pretty decent pot, such as one that was raised PF, his cheering section stood up and shouted, "Go Robert!!" and whatever else they felt like shouting out. I thought that was kinda funny. He looked really sad when he got knocked out in 2nd to Ivey. I bet that hurts. Announcer said something like his 3rd straight top 3 finish in this event. Wow.

Oh yeah, I got Ivey to sign a tissue box the day before the final table. I didn't have any paper or anything and when I saw him for the first time in my life I was a little star struck. I grabbed the nearest thing, which was a tissue box, grabbed a pen and politely asked Phil to sign. I didn't ask anyone else for an autograph. I guess I respect Ivey the most.

One last thing, there was a lot of Phil vs Phil pots at the final table. Ivey and Hellmuth were sitting next to each other and whenever it was Ivey's SB, he would either call or raise Hellmuth's BB. Seemed like he never, ever folded. Hellmuth seemed visibly annoyed at Ivey constantly picking on him. Hellmuth eventually lost w/ set vs set against RWIII and bitterly spoke about how 'lucky' RWIII was to have that hand and how there were 'only' 2 Queen's left in the deck. I think Hellmuth had JJ. He also said how RWIII walked on water the whole time or something and how he experieced the worst 'cold deck' at a final table. He said all this to his parents w/ RWIII's whole cheering section sitting right next to them since his parents were watching the final table next to RWIII's section. I laughed inside. I thought he acted like a little kid. What do I know though? I don't got 9 bracelets.

I wish I saw the Chan vs Laak match. I've read that it was an interesting HU duel.

I plan on going back right before the ME and playing some of their satellites for a ticket to the ME. If not, I might just stick around for the first couple days to check out the action.

Okay, that's all. Have a nice day everyone.

wall_st
06-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Nice post.

Couple of questions,

How were the spectator crowds overall ? Quite large or just so so ?

Were people autograh hounding quite a bit ? I have heard multiple pros say that it is difficult to play sometime because of how mcuh they get hounded during these events

stankybank
06-30-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice post.

Couple of questions,

How were the spectator crowds overall ? Quite large or just so so ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I was there the spectator crowd wasn't too large. In fact, for the $5K w/ rebuys PL Omaha event, the announcer kept saying that there were a bunch of seats so for people to come and watch the action. I thought there were gonna be standing 5 deep especially since Ivey and RWIII were in the final 3. However, it was late so I assume people just got tired of sitting/standing around. As for other spectators, there's small groups sprinkled here and there depending on the 'stars' playing at the tables but nothing too crazy. Expect some elbow bumps though.

[ QUOTE ]
Were people autograh hounding quite a bit ? I have heard multiple pros say that it is difficult to play sometime because of how mcuh they get hounded during these events

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a bunch of tourist looking people asking poker 'celebs' for autographs and pictures. I don't think you'll get denied if you ask for one nicely, but I'm sure they'll get a little irritated if you ask them at the wrong time such as during a 15 min tournament break or when they're eating w/ a group of family/friends. I think that's rude. When I asked Ivey, it was the night they all made the final table so the players were leaving to come back the next day and I saw him in the hallways w/ one other person w/ him so I walked up and asked him. He was cool about it too. I'm sure some people will just sign it and brush you off real quick like you're scum.

zuluking
06-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Good report.

Which was more fun? Spending $800 at the strip clubs? Or donking away $1400 at the tables?