PDA

View Full Version : What kind of SUV should I get?

Sully
06-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Some things you should know:

1. I actually use / need the 4-wheel drive a lot in the winters, as I spend a lot of time on snowy, remote back roads

2. I do not need / want the most pimp ride. I have put 250,000 miles on my '95 Isuzu Rodeo, and I never even really liked it. It doesn't even have a drink holder, for God's sake. All I care is that it has a decent stereo and can hold a *&^*&%$ cup of coffee.

3. I think that new vehicles are a complete waste of money, but would possibly consider one (long shot). However I am more likely to be interested in a '92 '93-ish model.

4. I am 34 years old, and don't know crap about the best way to get a good deal on a car....I have hated this process for so long, that I have only truly bought one car in my life.

5. I don't really need finance advice, although if you have a really strong case for leasing a vehicle versus buying, I would listen.

SomethingClever
06-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Get a Toyota 4-runner that's less than 10 years old and you should be good.

jakethebake
06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get a Toyota 4-runner that's less than 10 years old and you should be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was still driving my `88 4 runner up until last year. It was great offroad, but is horrible for slick, wet or icy roads.

RunDownHouse
06-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Get a 4Runner that's more than 10 years old, preferably pre-'93 (I think that was when they changed the body style). I drove my '85 into the ground (over 200k on the body), drive a '94 now, and my dad drives a '99. They're great, but the older ones look much better.

And if you have trouble on slick/icy roads, get new or better tires.

junkmail3
06-30-2005, 09:15 AM
It's new, but the Highlander has a hybrid model, if you're doing stop and go driving, it gets about 30-35mph city 24highway (Those numbers look backwards, and they are).

Has more power/torque than the older models too.

benza13
06-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Get a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I bought a '97 5 years ago, its up to 105k miles and no problems so far. My friend drove his '95 250k, including several trips from Mass to Colorado and back. After I got mine, a Laredo, my Mom went out and got a '99 Limited and loves hers as well. She doesn't go off-road or anything, but does use it a lot in the winter. They last forever and are great in everything, cheaper than the 4Runner everyone keeps recommending too.

ChoicestHops
06-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Be careful with the Jeep's alot of them have problems, check JD Power or Edmunds. However if you find one with no problems I'd say that or a 4Runner as well.

jakethebake
06-30-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And if you have trouble on slick/icy roads, get new or better tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had mine for over 10 years and drove with several sets of tires in all kinds of weather and terrain. The problem is if you drive both on- and off-road, you have to get those tires that really aren't very good for either one. But I'd argue even with good street tires, they're not really very good on-road. Still...*sigh*...I miss that truck.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-30-2005, 10:53 AM
First choice: don't get an SUV.
Second choice: Ford Escape.

The Stranger
06-30-2005, 11:20 AM
get one of these:

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/pictures/gfx_pictures/m1move.jpg

The M1-Abrams

chaas4747
06-30-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Be careful with the Jeep's alot of them have problems, check JD Power or Edmunds. However if you find one with no problems I'd say that or a 4Runner as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in my second Jeep Grand Cherokee right now, and I would say the quality is definitely going down. I have had problems with the transmission, and mechanical problems with some of the power features (windows, seats, etc.). My sister has a 4 runner that she bought is 2000 and one of those will definitely be my next vehicle. She has 95,000 and it is in the best shape I have ever seen a vehicle.
I also have heard great things about Xterras, anyone else?

astroglide
06-30-2005, 11:36 AM
subaru forrester

CollinEstes
06-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Yeah I put 200,000 miles on a 90 4 Runner V6 before I cracked a head gasket. But the offroading wasn't that good because that car was slow as [censored].

I think the Nissan Xtrerra is relatively inexpensive and rides pretty well. I don't know about off road though.

ChoicestHops
06-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Ive heard good things about the Xterra, however, personally I like the 2000 body style Pathfinders alot more. You cant really go wrong with a Nissan, they are great quality cars.

A 4Runner is still the best bet. There's a reason a 2000 Limited costs about $18,000.

chaas4747
06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ive heard good things about the Xterra, however, personally I like the 2000 body style Pathfinders alot more. You cant really go wrong with a Nissan, they are great quality cars.

A 4Runner is still the best bet. There's a reason a 2000 Limited costs about $18,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend has a 2003 Pathfinder, the ride is a litte "trucky" for me, but that might be exactly what you are looking for.

jakethebake
06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend has a 2003 Pathfinder, the ride is a litte "trucky" for me, but that might be exactly what you are looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife just recently traded in her Pathfinder for a minivan. We both really liked it though. I thought it much less "trucky" than other SUVs. When we got it we also drove the Xterra, and liked it as well.

junkmail3
06-30-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife just recently traded in her Pathfinder for a minivan. We both really liked it though. I thought it much less "trucky" than other SUVs. When we got it we also drove the Xterra, and liked it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minivan for the kids? Can you explain to me why people would want a minivan over an SUV for kids?

jakethebake
06-30-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Minivan for the kids? Can you explain to me why people would want a minivan over an SUV for kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Tons more room. Much, much easier to get kids in and out of. She hated the idea of it, but until you have kids and have tried both, you have no idea how much better it is.

edit: not to mention cheaper, better gas mileage, etc.

bernie
06-30-2005, 05:03 PM
I'd go to Edmunds.com. They used to have great articles on how to buy a car. Questions to ask and the answers you will likely get. Along with counters to those answers. You will also see what the dealer pays for the car. So what you do is pick out all the stuff you want on it, it will give you the total. Add about $400 for commission and that's the price you target when haggling.

Favorite line I used was, "that's real good, but you'll have to do better than that." I used that on the salesman a couple times along with the finance guy. I really pissed off the finance guy. The site will show you why you want to put him on edge. It's great watching him twist in the wind a little.

I used it back in '97 to buy a new van. The site hopefully is still as helpful as it was back then.

b

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Just get a Subaru like everyone else in CO.

vulturesrow
06-30-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes. Tons more room. Much, much easier to get kids in and out of. She hated the idea of it, but until you have kids and have tried both, you have no idea how much better it is.

edit: not to mention cheaper, better gas mileage, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. My wife and I vowed to never buy a minivan but we finally broke down and did it. WE eventually traded it in on a new Explorer, cause that is what she really wanted but the minivan is a truly practical vehicle for driving around with the munchikins.

Mars357
06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
One that you can pay cash for

touchfaith
06-30-2005, 07:51 PM
2000 Pathfinder owner here. Wouldn't give it up for anything. Doesn't have the larger engine and I'm glad. It has plenty enough power for the backroad 4x4 trails I fish at and does excellent in the snow. No need for less gas milage the large engine offers. (I don't tow)

The 4 runners are very nice too, although the only reason I could find for choosing it over the Pathfinder is if you plan on after-market modifications. The Toyotas have 10-fold more modifications available and, as a result, there are far (far) more replacement parts, service locations and the likes for the Toyota.

ucfryan
06-30-2005, 07:55 PM
I just got a 2001 4 Runner 2 weeks ago and it's like heaven on wheels.

http://www.allautoreviews.com/auto_reviews/toyota/photos/toyota-4runner-4.jpg

thread over

2+2 wannabe
06-30-2005, 07:58 PM
american vehicles suck

thread over

p.s. toyota 4-runner pwns everything

touchfaith
06-30-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got a 2001 4 Runner 2 weeks ago and it's like heaven on wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

PS: Never buy a used 4x4

gvibes
06-30-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's new, but the Highlander has a hybrid model, if you're doing stop and go driving, it gets about 30-35mph city 24highway (Those numbers look backwards, and they are).

Has more power/torque than the older models too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The highlander isn't exactly an off-road warrior. It's more like a minivan.