PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from a superior player -- Phil Ivey

SpeakEasy
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
I think we are watching a legend of poker. Lessons for 2+2 poker students -- why Phil Ivey is a superior poker player:

1. He eats, sleeps, breathes and lives poker. He plays and practices constantly. He has tried every strategy and seen every possible situation.

2. Student of poker. He thinks about poker constantly, including his mistakes, and is always trying to improve his game.

3. Intense focus. Has the mental and physical ability to sit quietly for long periods of time and maintain focus without losing concentration.

4. Extremely patient, and is able to play long sessions.

5. Aggressive, confident and fearless. Not afraid to lose, not afraid to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes, extremely confident in his game.

6. Massive bankroll. Neither a single hand nor his entire buy-in for a session presents a threat to his overall bankroll. The buy-in for even the largest tournaments does not dent his bankroll, and he never thinks about the money that he will lose if he busts out of a tournament or has a losing cash-game session.

7. Emotionally detached from each hand, from the other players, and from the game. Each decision of each hand is governed entirely by the situation at that moment, and is unclouded by any emotional issues surrounding the opponent, prior bad beats, bankroll concerns, etc.

8. Not driven by a desire to impress others. Does not care what others think about his play. Lets his results speak for themselves.

9. Sixth-sense poker ability. Amazing ability to read other players, smell weakness or strength, and take advantage at every possible opportunity or avoid trouble. Largely the result of #1 above -- constant play improves the ability to read other players.

10. Superior reputation allows him to create fear or confusion and take advantage of situations that are not available to many other players.

Some of these may be assumptions, but probably very close to reality. Now, if I can only incorporate more of these characteristics in my game...

Voltron87
06-29-2005, 06:19 PM
just skimming it, pretty useless.

phil ivey's career is definitely not an example of conservative bankroll management.

virtually all of these are just cliches and i doubt you have any real reasons or validation.

O71394658
06-29-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we are watching a legend of poker. Lessons for 2+2 poker students -- why Phil Ivey is a superior poker player:

1. He eats, sleeps, breathes and lives poker. He plays and practices constantly. He has tried every strategy and seen every possible situation.

2. Student of poker. He thinks about poker constantly, including his mistakes, and is always trying to improve his game.

3. Intense focus. Has the mental and physical ability to sit quietly for long periods of time and maintain focus without losing concentration.

5. Aggressive, confident and fearless. Not afraid to lose, not afraid to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes, extremely confident in his game.

6. Massive bankroll. Neither a single hand nor his entire buy-in for a session presents a threat to his overall bankroll. The buy-in for even the largest tournaments does not dent his bankroll, and he never thinks about the money that he will lose if he busts out of a tournament or has a losing cash-game session.

7. Emotionally detached from each hand, from the other players, and from the game. Each decision of each hand is governed entirely by the situation at that moment, and is unclouded by any emotional issues surrounding the opponent, prior bad beats, bankroll concerns, etc.

8. Not driven by a desire to impress others. Does not care what others think about his play. Lets his results speak for themselves.

9. Sixth-sense poker ability. Amazing ability to read other players, smell weakness or strength, and take advantage at every possible opportunity or avoid trouble. Largely the result of #1 above -- constant play improves the ability to read other players.

10. Superior reputation allows him to create fear or confusion and take advantage of situations that are not available to many other players.

Some of these may be assumptions, but probably very close to reality. Now, if I can only incorporate more of these characteristics in my game...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know this because you're his best friend, right? Or you've just seen him on TV a couple of times...

yoadrians
06-29-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like me saying Brett Favre is the greatest QB in NFL history, and here's why .........

I don't know Brett for [censored]. You don't know Phil for [censored]. You may think you know about Phil, but you just don't know for sure.

His results are impressive, no question. But how do you 'know' all this about Phil? From a couple of WPT soundbites???

I do think Phil seems to be one of the best players out there from what I have seen. But I don't know him ... and neither do you.

(boy, I will feel silly if you come back and say you're his neighbor or something)

Anyways, have a good day.

Malagant
06-29-2005, 06:38 PM
This is a joke right?

RicktheRuler
06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people love to blow Phil Ivey all the time? BTW, aren't these traits a key part of anyone becoming a successful poker player? Oh yeah, I don't think Phil always had the best BR management skills--not sure if he even does now.

utmt40
06-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Jesus people lighten up and get the corn cobs out of your asses.

Hold'me
06-29-2005, 06:53 PM
As stated, those traits apply to all great poker players. I guess it seems that Phil Ivey examplifies those traits to a greater degree than others. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zygote
06-29-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I don't think Phil always had the best BR management skills--not sure if he even does now.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you refering to?

jojobinks
06-29-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I don't think Phil always had the best BR management skills--not sure if he even does now.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you refering to?

[/ QUOTE ]

he would take shots at higher limits with only 50 BB or so, apparently, taking huge chances of going broke along the way.

Alex/Mugaaz
06-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Bankroll management is his weakness, not his strength. I'd wager he'd agree.

Better reasons.

1- He's intelligent.
2- He's super focused.
3- Pointless details.

Hold'me
06-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Some say Phil's biggest leak is having too much gamble. Him and others in the Big Game regularly make bets on the suit of the next card to come and such. He also supposedly lost somewhere in the range of one million at the craps tables. I'm just stating what I read in various article so don't go jumping on me! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

disjunction
06-29-2005, 07:08 PM
No, this was pretty powerful stuff. Next time my wife is mad at me I'm going to print a bulleted list of my assets, in boldface.

3rdEye
06-29-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, this was pretty powerful stuff. Next time my wife is mad at me I'm going to print a bulleted list of my assets, in boldface.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO. nh

Voltron87
06-29-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice, lol

TM1212
06-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Why are you people on these players dicks all the time. Its there f*cking money, its there life, and you dont actually know them! First I bet you have never seen him play craps (I have, and I still wouldn't post about it because I dont know his situation nor do I care), just hear say, second If he wants to tank his entire roll there he can you know WHY? ITS HIS MONEY! Trust me if it dimishes him in your eyes he won't care, I am sure he enjoyed him money, and thats that!

Maybe some of you should spend a little more time worrying about your bankroll, and your play! All this is, is hear say, and F*ck this WPT forum you guys are the ass clowns of 2+2 forums!!!!!

TomHimself
06-29-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you people on these players dicks all the time. Its there f*cking money, its there life, and you dont actually know them! First I bet you have never seen him play craps (I have, and I still wouldn't post about it because I dont know his situation nor do I care), just hear say, second If he wants to tank his entire roll there he can you know WHY? ITS HIS MONEY! Trust me if it dimishes him in your eyes he won't care, I am sure he enjoyed him money, and thats that!

Maybe some of you should spend a little more time worrying about your bankroll, and your play! All this is, is hear say, and F*ck this WPT forum you guys are the ass clowns of 2+2 forums!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]stfu

Steve Chase
06-29-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool down.
The OP just put all the good qualities of a poker player on Phil. It maybe true or may not be true.
No bid deal.
Play poker is fun. Relax!

stanky
06-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Do you spit or swallow when you dream about sucking Phil's dick?

Hold'me
06-29-2005, 08:14 PM
This thread became really stupid and homosexual awfully fast. Time to lock it down.

Zygote
06-29-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First I bet you have never seen him play craps (I have, and I still wouldn't post about it because I dont know his situation nor do I care)

[/ QUOTE ]

"...I still wouldn't post about it..."

You just did!

RicktheRuler
06-29-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First I bet you have never seen him play craps (I have, and I still wouldn't post about it because I dont know his situation nor do I care)

[/ QUOTE ]

"...I still wouldn't post about it..."

You just did!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this also.

SpeakEasy
06-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Too funny... I started this as a list of ideal poker traits, for myself. Then, since Phil won a WSOP event, I decided to turn this into a list here about Phil, just to see the responses it would get. As expected...

RicktheRuler
06-29-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Too funny... I started this as a list of ideal poker traits, for myself. Then, since Phil won a WSOP event, I decided to turn this into a list here about Phil, just to see the responses it would get. As expected...

[/ QUOTE ]

BS

Python49
06-29-2005, 10:04 PM
can you guys stop cyber blowing ivey? He's great yes but is he god? Hardly.

clutch
06-30-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BS

[/ QUOTE ]

hotdog da 2rd
06-30-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seems cyber blowing upsets alot of people. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LargeCents
06-30-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus people lighten up and get the corn cobs out of your asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? corn cobs?!

rotflmfao

ptmusic
06-30-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BS

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, really. It's totally commonplace to put together lists of ideal traits with a paragraph for each one, then decide to attribute them to someone else, then take all the time to hit that bold link a bunch of times, all just to see how 2+2ers would react.

You look stupid, just go with it buddy!

-ptmusic

TM1212
06-30-2005, 06:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you spit or swallow when you dream about sucking Phil's dick?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol!

Cant believe these people

TM1212
06-30-2005, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

MrBlueNose
06-30-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst attempt at a save EVER.

Bartman387
06-30-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of these may be assumptions

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much your entire post is a bunch of assumptions. There is no way you could no most of the things you say unless you personally knew him and knew him well.