PDA

View Full Version : chips on player's cards

s_teiger
02-02-2003, 11:03 PM
This must be a really dumb question to ask but why do I see players putting chips on their cards in hold'em?

Dynasty
02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Because many dealers don't pay attention and will grab any unprotected cards. I've seen dealers grab unprotected cards even after that player has called, bet, and even raised on that round.

Ed Miller
02-02-2003, 11:16 PM
This "protects" the hand. When a chip is on your cards, the dealer won't muck them, and if someone accidentally tosses his cards and they hit yours, your hand won't be fouled like it would be if your hand were unprotected.

indyace
02-03-2003, 04:34 AM
you better cover your cards every hand. especially when you are sitting in seat 1 and 10. i have seen dealers sweep cards without a second thought if they are not protected.

Mano
02-03-2003, 02:56 PM
I have gotten into the habit of immediately covering my cards with a chip after looking at them because of an incident I had with a bonehead player. I was on the button with KQ when a drunk player in early position (whom I had beaten for few pots) intentionally tossed his cards on top of mine when he folded, killing my hand. Of course the flop came 9TJ. Dealer admonished him, and I was pissed, but I didn't want the guy to leave while he still had money at this point, so I just kept quiet and vowed not to leave my hand unprotected in the future.

Note: if you immediately cover your hand after looking at it, you need to do it whether you intend to play the hand or not, as observant opponents will notice if you only cover playable hands.

TobDog
02-03-2003, 08:03 PM
I have seen many players, Lou Kreiger among them, that cover their cards when they get them, then look when it is their turn. I have also seen players mucked cards go inbetween other players protected cards, which results in a floorman call. But you should always cover your cards once you make a decision to play, it is worse to have called then had your hand killed, but it is never fun to have oyur hand killed be someone other than yourself. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

bernie
02-03-2003, 09:23 PM
one thing to remember, its only a safegaurd for protecting your cards...not a garauntee though. they can still be mucked, it's just much tougher.

i hold my cards in my hand during the hand...

b

balt999
02-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Here are some reasons:

Player Superstitions
"Because everyone else does it"
Wanted to look "the Part"
To prevent the dealers from taking your cards when picking up mucked cards