PDA

View Full Version : Grilling

mantasm
06-29-2005, 04:13 PM
My girlfriend's mom came by our house and brought us a big new gas grill. I've never used one. I tried to cook some ribeyes I had, but I burned all but one half of one of the steaks.

Any of you old married dudes have any tips or recipes for me? Also, am I supposed to close the top when I'm grilling?

eric5148
06-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Get some books by Steven Raichlen. He also has a PBS show.

Vote4Pedro
06-29-2005, 04:21 PM
When I first started using a gas grill I had similar problems. Now I start off with all burners on High and let it sit for awhile with the top closed. Then when I'm ready to throw the meat on, I turn the middle burner off and lower the outside burners to low. This takes a little longer, but produces a nice evenly cooked steak. And yes, close the BBQ when the meat is on.

samjjones
06-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Turn the heat all the way up, let it preheat for 5 minutes, and then throw your steaks on. Shouldn't be more than 5 minutes a side (turn only once).

chaas4747
06-29-2005, 04:24 PM
It takes some getting used to. Low heat is always good. See if you can get a thermometer to check the temp in the grill. This will make it easier to regulate the heat.

eric5148
06-29-2005, 04:26 PM
And one more thing:

Charcoal pwns gas.

CollinEstes
06-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Just have to keep trying, but letting the grill pre-heat as the others have mentioned will help, I don't think you have to close the lid but with the lid open it will probably take longer to cook. If you burned them I would lower the heat. Also if you are cooking at night bring out a flashlight that way you can see the color of the inside of the meat well enough to make a judgement.

Bobby Flay has some killer grilling recipes in Boy Meets Grill, but they are not easy.

samjjones
06-29-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And one more thing:

Charcoal pwns gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

For taste, I don't think anybody would disagree with this. But propane grills are just so much easier/quicker...

guller
06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Think of a gas grill like an outdoor oven. Don't just put the flames on full and toss something on it. Cook most of your stuff on indirect heat.

Indirect grilling method:

If you have a 3 burner grill turn off the middle burner and set the outside 2 burners to medium or low. Grill everything over the extinguished burner at about 350-400 deg. F. with the lid closed.

Cooking Steaks:

Ribeye 3/4" to 1" thick:

1. All burners on full. Sear steak for 2 minutes on one side only.
2. Turn grill to indirect heat method.
3. Flip steak and cook for 4-6 minutes on the non-seared side.
4. Flip back over to the seared side (add a quarter turn rotation here if you want nice grill marks)
5. Grill for another 4-6 minutes.

Perfect medium rare.

Cook times will vary depending upon your exact temp, hot spots, etc.

Good Luck

kevyk
06-29-2005, 04:34 PM
His books pwn. Start with The Barbeque! Bible and move up to BBQ USA when you get more advanced.

I roasted a whole pig at my sister's graduation party using one of his recipes.

mantasm
06-29-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And one more thing:

Charcoal pwns gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free pwns charcoal.

kevyk
06-29-2005, 04:38 PM
While it was nice of your mom to buy you a gas grill, they really don't cook steaks nearly as well as charcoal. You just can't get the heat high enough to really sear a steak. Plus, grease fires are common unless you constantly clean the grill.

If you have $50 lying around, I'd strongly suggest buying a weber kettle.

mantasm
06-29-2005, 04:41 PM
It's a two burner. I preheated it then put the dials to about medium and put one steak on top of each burner. Then I did 4 minutes a side with the top closed. Half of one steak was a good medium rare, the rest were all well done. Can I implement your method on a two burner?

Biloxi
06-29-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any of you old married dudes have any tips or recipes for me? Also, am I supposed to close the top when I'm grilling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not old or married but i can grill some mean grub. Guess its from all those tailgate parties.

Lid should be kept on at all times when you are not checking the food.
After it warms up turn it to medium, put the ROOM TEMP (secret to success) meat on and it should make a nice searing sound for a few seconds. If it doesnt stop the searing sound shortly then its probably too hot.
check it in a few minutes to see how it looks.
But dont check it too much or all the heat will leave.
Turn it when the grill marks are nice n charred and leave it on other side for almost the same amount of time as first side.
Most grills are different so practicing is your best bet to improve. Just do hamburgers till you get the hang of it.
And watch food network! the ladies will love ya for it

CollinEstes
06-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Beer can chicken is a pretty fun and easy recipe that you can do, plus it makes the chicken really moist.

guller
06-29-2005, 05:12 PM
I've never tried it on a 2 burner but it should work just the same. Try turning one of them off. I would turn off the one closest to the built in thermometer (if it has one). That way you know the temperature in the cook zone.

sfer
06-29-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And one more thing:

Charcoal pwns gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free pwns charcoal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

HtotheNootch
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Sounds like you need some practice there mantasm. Ribeyes are considered the easiest of the premium cuts to grill.

Like the others here, I would absolutely recommend Raichlen's books. They'll teach you plenty.

While you're learning, stick to some of the less expensive cuts of meat. No sense turning porterhouses, and filets into leather because you haven't developed your touch yet.

VBM
06-29-2005, 05:45 PM
mmm, i grill for fun and use a charcoal grill, but i've learned from the hard way that you need to have an area of your grill where its hot to sear (i.e. in kettles, w/ coals stacked higher) and an area where its less hot (a single layer of coals) to put the steaks when they flare up.

With a gas grill, i'd probably try this same idea; have a hot burner to sear, and a cooler one to move the steak to without burning/flare-ups.

Ribeyes tend to flare up a lot b/c they have all the rich marbling that makes them so delicious.

HTH...

yoadrians
06-29-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And one more thing:

Charcoal pwns gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

HtotheNootch
06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
I hope my last post didn't come off harsh, because it wasn't intended as so. When you're starting out, avoid chicken (other than Raichlen's beer can recipe)because chicken must be cooked through, and until you have your heat control down, it can be difficult. You can burn the outside and have it raw inside.

While your starting, a good move is to get something like a boneless chuck steak (sliced thin), salt and pepper both sides, then take a plate or dish, and pour in a bunch of olive oil. Before you put the steaks on, coat it with the oil from the dish, when it's time to flip, run the steak through the dish again, and put the other side down. The oil will stop the steak from scorching, and you can get your technique down without dropping the $$ on the higher-end cuts.

Pork Tenderloin is another good candidate for the grill. A lot of times I like to marinate it in vinegar and hot sauce and then throw it on the grill. Comes great so many times.

codewarrior
06-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Here's my advice: Have your testes removed and give them to someone who can put them to good use - they are obviously wasted on you.

nolanfan34
06-29-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's my advice: Have your testes removed and give them to someone who can put them to good use - they are obviously wasted on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post sucks. OP said he's trying to grill, he's probably like 20 years old, you have to start somewhere. Your response isn't witty or helpful.

To the OP, you have some good advice in this thread. The most important, if you like medium-rare or rare steak, is to have a very hot grill surface, IMO. When I BBQ, I basically do what some of the others have mentioned. Sear one side for a few minutes, then flip and do the other side. Doesn't take more than 10 min, max, for a nice medium rare.

Another thing to remember - the meat will continue to cook a little bit after you pull it off of the grill. So if your meat is barely pink when you cut into it, don't be surprised to see it cooked the whole way through when you get around to plating it.

I'd just practice with basic sirloins to start with. Oh, and I close the top to the grill unless I'm turning it over.

Tron
06-29-2005, 07:55 PM
It would probably be a good idea to get a meat thermometer. You can get an electric one from most gourmet stores that you can leave in the meat while it is on the grill, and it has a bunch of different meats programmed into it and the doneness.

HtotheNootch
06-29-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would probably be a good idea to get a meat thermometer. You can get an electric one from most gourmet stores that you can leave in the meat while it is on the grill, and it has a bunch of different meats programmed into it and the doneness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those can work well, but they can get a bit innacurate when you're doing things like smoking a pork shoulder or brisket.

mantasm
06-29-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure pwned me, interent tought guy.

mantasm
06-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think i'll go buy that book and a thermometer.

codewarrior
06-29-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure pwned me, interent thought guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Vote4Pedro
06-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Some mark ass trick just stepped on my sneaker, and poured Morton's salt all over 'em. Are ya'll ready to ride? RABBLE RABBLE! Lets ride on these fools at their own bar-b-que!

The Stranger
06-29-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some mark ass trick just stepped on my sneaker, and poured Morton's salt all over 'em. Are ya'll ready to ride? RABBLE RABBLE! Lets ride on these fools at their own bar-b-que!

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

Pat Southern
06-29-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PPPPPPPPRRRRRRRRRRRRR