PDA

View Full Version : 2+2 Around the Horn: Round 1

CollinEstes
06-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok Ok check it out had the idea to run alittle competition here like Around the Horn on ESPN. So here is the setup for the competitive banter, I will put up three questions you guys give me your take and then points will go out (1-10 per question) for the best answers. Then the top 75% of the crowd on points will move on to Round 2. Since this is the first Round everyone is welcome to grab a piece. Anyways you get the idea here we go:

Question 1:

Last night the Bucks grab Andrew Bogut with the top pick in the 2005 NBA draft. Buy or Sell Bogut becoming a top tier NBA player and the right pick for the Bucks.

Question 2:

The Atlanta Braves are gaining ground on the Divison leading Nationals. Buy or Sell the Washington Nationals winning the NL East.

Question 3:

Derrick Lee continues to tear up pitching and leads the majors hitting 387. Buy or Sell Derrick Lee winning the triple crown this year.

Alright there you go.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Sell all three. Did I make it?

mmbt0ne
06-29-2005, 04:29 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Last night the Bucks grab Andrew Bogut with the top pick in the 2005 NBA draft. Buy or Sell Bogut becoming a top tier NBA player and the right pick for the Bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy him being the right pick, but sell him being a top tier player anytime soon. He doesn't need to be a top 3 center in the league to make a big impact though.

The Atlanta Braves are gaining ground on the Divison leading Nationals. Buy or Sell the Washington Nationals winning the NL East.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm selling that, and selling any hope they have of the wildcard.

Derrick Lee continues to tear up pitching and leads the majors hitting 387. Buy or Sell Derrick Lee winning the triple crown this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell

MoreWineII
06-29-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't really want to compete, but it's a slow work day so I'll chime in.

[ QUOTE ]

Question 1:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think ever justify a #1 pick. I'm just not sold on his mental or physical abilities. Not only that, but he's only been in the NBA for a day and he's already referred to himself in the third person and that's just not acceptable.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell. I just can't go against the ATL when it comes to finishing the season strong.

[ QUOTE ]

Question 3:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell. Nobody's gonna win the Triple Crown again, write it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

pryor15
06-29-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question 1:

[/ QUOTE ]

he looked soft to me and passive at times in the ncaa tourney, so i'd say he turns into a keith van horn type--good enough at his peak to merit all-star consideration, but not good enough to justify a #1 overall.

[ QUOTE ]

Question 2:

[/ QUOTE ]

the Nats are living off the new team smell. they'll fade. the real question is will atl win the division again?

[ QUOTE ]

Question 3:

[/ QUOTE ]

he wins one of the 3, pujols wins one, and the other one i have no idea.

tbach24
06-29-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy. He's not going to be as good as Shaq or many of the legendary centers, but I could see him being as good as Yao. He can hit a J so defenders will have to cover him outside, but has the athleticism to beat them to the inside. He also seems pretty strong. He was a great pick as well because you need a great big man to be a championship team.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell. They have a great bullpen and solid hitting, but they have a bad pitching staff. Livan, Loaiza and Patterson are good, but they send guys like Ryan Drese and Tony Armas out there. You can't send guys like those two out there and win a division. With that said, I don't think it will be the Braves who win the division. I like the Marlins, they have a great staff, great hitting, and a decent bullpen.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell. It seems too difficult with all the great hitters in the NL this year. I think he'll come close, but fall behind in one or two of the three.

Great idea btw.

KDawgCometh
06-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Question 1: buy Andrew Boghut being teh right pick for the Miluakee Bucks. They need a guy who will be solid and provide them with reliability in the middle. Sell him being a top-tier player though. He will be a good player, but I don't think he has the skills to be a perennial all-star. He will have a career very similar to rik smits, so overall its a buy as that is really not a bad career to have.

question 2: Sell teh Nationals winning teh east. The Braves have been there many times and have a very solid pitching staff. Washington plays way too many close games right now and have to rely on a stopper who is unproven. As long as the braves keep on playing well they should win the NL east.

Question 3: I sell Derek Lee winning the Triple crown. He is a very good player but no one has won teh triple crown since Carl Yazstremski in 67. There is a reason for that, it is just way too hard. Lee does play in a ballpark that is good for Home runs and rbi's, but he will have to hit over .340 to even have a shot at winning it, and I just can't see him hitting that high. He will probably end up near the home run and rbi leadership, but I don't think the batting avg title will be his. Yet again we will have another guy make a run at it and not get it. I really think Todd Helton is the only guy who may ever have a shot at winning it, or ARod if he can get his aavg back to the .350 range

Clarkmeister
06-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Buy, Sell, Sell.

AngryCola
06-30-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buy or Sell Bogut becoming a top tier NBA player and the right pick for the Bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are two completely different questions, and I don't think it's right to lump them together.

tarcards
06-30-2005, 02:46 AM
This is an great idea, anyway on to my answers.

#1 Buy: The bucks took the correct player with their first pick. This draft was full of good players but no one stood out as a clear out number one like past years. Bogut showed especially during this last year that he was an all around great college player. He passes the ball like a point guard, rebounded better then almost anyone in college basketball and was very formidable on the offense side of the ball aka scoring. Being a 7 foot monster and being able to do all of those thing makes you at the very least a solid center for many years barring injury. The NBA has very few centers that are worth having, SHAQ, Yao Ming, and that is about it. IF he puts up 15-10 a game he will be in the top 5 centers in the nba. But along with the 15-10 he will average 4-6 assists per game.

#2 Sell. The washing nationals are off to a great start in the NL east but both the Atlanta braves and the Florida Marlins have incountered serious injury problems in the first half of the year with most of there players comming back very shortly. Atlanta has chipper on the DL and 8 or so very young players that bobby cox is managing better then he ever has and Andrew Jones is having the best year of his career leading the majors in home runs. The Marlins have maybe the best pitching staff in the league but with beckett hurt and lighter pitching like [censored] they are still depending on Willis to carry them for the time being which he has done. Will willis collaspe in the second half. I highly doubt it and i am picking the Marlins to win the NL east.

#3 Sell. It has been since Carl Y in the 60's when the triple crown was last accomplished. Batting 390 in completely absurd, and being tied or in second in home runs and rbi's is also amazing but he is competing with albert pulous how is himself putting together quietly i might add an amazing year. Derek lee just does not have the protection in the linup to accomplish this type of feat and i highly doubt he will keep up the 390 average in teh second half.

B00T
06-30-2005, 03:20 AM
Buy or sell is not round one on Around The Horn...

I WIN!

istewart
06-30-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buy or sell is not round one on Around The Horn...

I WIN!

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he meant that this is Round 1 of the 2+2 Buy or Sell game.

You lose.

Vince Young
06-30-2005, 04:05 AM
1: Sell, buy
2: Buy
3: Sell on Lee winning the triple crown, as well as anyone spelling his name right in this thread

DougOzzzz
06-30-2005, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sell all three. Did I make it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.

Bulldog
06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buy or Sell Bogut becoming a top tier NBA player and the right pick for the Bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are two completely different questions, and I don't think it's right to lump them together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. That's why I didn't answer this the first time I read it.

bugstud
06-30-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok Ok check it out had the idea to run alittle competition here like Around the Horn on ESPN. So here is the setup for the competitive banter, I will put up three questions you guys give me your take and then points will go out (1-10 per question) for the best answers. Then the top 75% of the crowd on points will move on to Round 2. Since this is the first Round everyone is welcome to grab a piece. Anyways you get the idea here we go:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Alright there you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bogut - buy. Immense amount of talent, etc etc etc. Just the Bucks will need to grab a very good lottery pick next year and keep Redd around to have a prayer.

Nats - Sell, heavily. Pitching and hitting are both above expected, and everyone else in the division is underperfoming.

Derrek Lee - Sell, even as a Cubs fan. He's way over career norms and will need to SUSTAIN this in order to out Pujols in almost everything, plus he still has to get ahead of Andruw and Carlos Lee.

CollinEstes
06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that they are two different questions. I was trying to create more oppurtunities for people to have different opinions. Ex. I buy that he is the right pick but I gotta sell him becoming a top tier player, etc.

It is obvious some people thought this was a good idea to pass the time so just enjoy it for God sakes. This board isn't life and death here.

Bulldog
06-30-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that they are two different questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should also know that Stat Boy kills any panelist who doesn't commit to either Buy or Sell unequivocally.

bosoxfan
06-30-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only that, but he's only been in the NBA for a day and he's already referred to himself in the third person and that's just not acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was required.

istewart
06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bogut - buy. Immense amount of talent, etc etc etc. Just the Bucks will need to grab a very good lottery pick next year and keep Redd around to have a prayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bogut is the right pick for the Bucks. No way he becomes a top tier player IMO.

KDawgCometh
06-30-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bogut is the right pick for the Bucks. No way he becomes a top tier player IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Boghut will be a good player, but top-tier just ins't in teh cards for him. He will have a nice long career barring injuries. He reminds me a lot of a Rik Smits type. Smits was the second pick in his draft and had a long career as a very good player, I think Boghut is gonna be along those lines

pryor15
07-08-2005, 03:35 PM
bump.

what happened to this?

CollinEstes
07-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I didn't think anyone like the idea. I thought it would be fun but most people didn't answer. I would be happy to rank it out and start Round 2.

pryor15
07-08-2005, 05:36 PM
why the hell not? some people seemed to like it

CollinEstes
07-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Alright I will work on it and give the scores and start round 2 on monday.

KDawgCometh
07-08-2005, 06:13 PM
sweet, I actually liked it. those who gave thought out answers made it good(not to toot my own horn /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Crveballin
07-09-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Question 1:

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy: Bogut is easily going to have a quicker impact on the league than Williams at the #2 pick. Williams wasnt even starting his 1 year in the NCAA's and had an all-star cast of lottery picks to play with. Bogut was the star on the team and carried them to an impressive year. Granted he will still be a work in progress in the NBA but he will be a quicker impact player. With the re-signing of Michael Redd, Bogut is easily the best pick ofr the Bucks.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2:

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy: Unlike the Baltimore Orioles, the Nationals are actually going to make some moves that will make them better and allow them to finish the season strong. The Nationals pitching has remained stable all year, with Livan Hernandez absorbing innings and allowing the bullpen rest. Loiaza has been semi consistant enough to where they can expect to win when he pitches. With possible trade rumors of getting Adam Dunn from Cinci, he could be just what they need to spark that Offense and becoming the best "2-run lead" winning team in baseball instead of 1-run.

[ QUOTE ]

Question 3:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell: The triple crown may not be ever obtained again in this age of baseball. Barry Bonds will be the closest and thats only because he didnt get anything to hit. If Barry cant do it while Batting .362 with 45 HR's, Lee wont be able to down the stretch. Granted he will break his career HR's and RBI's but he has never hit more than 32 and 98.

Edit: I didnt read anyones before posting.

MarkL444
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think anyone like the idea. I thought it would be fun but most people didn't answer. I would be happy to rank it out and start Round 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its cool.

B Dids
07-10-2005, 12:08 PM
1- Sell. Bogut over Williams (and others) will go down as a joke. Not to insult Brad Miller, but when that's your top end, you're not a #1 pick. I also don't think he'll be Brad Miller.

2- Buy. Sure why not.

3- Sell. People wig out about this every time somebody is close to tripple crown number and they end up way off the pace.

CollinEstes
07-11-2005, 10:06 AM
END OF ROUND 1:

Point Total Time:
*disclaimer* All opinions expressed where judged soley on MY opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of twoplustwo.com or its members.

PdPG = 3 (1,1,1), gotta explain alittle
mmbt = 10 (5,4,1)
Pryor = 15 (7,4,4)
Tbach = 17( 7,5,5)
KDawg = 20 (8,5,7)
Clark = 3 (1,1,1)
Tarcards = 22 (9,7,6)
bigstud = 15 (5,5,5)
Crve = 22 (8,8,6)
Ddids = 13 (7,2,4)

ROUND 1 LEADER: Crve &amp; Tar at 22.

There will be more rounds so don't get your panties in a wad if you think you deserve more. And I am only human