PDA

View Full Version : Tilting

DavidC
06-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Twice this month I have called something PF in EP (J6s a few weeks ago and A6o (5 handed) today), where I clearly knew it was a mistake. I was losing both times, and was not happy about either play, immediately afterwards.

Does this happen to any of you guys?

Other than a few times in a live NLHE game, this is pretty much my only 2 instances of tilt that I can remember in a long time.

It's really weird. I suppose that's a good thing, but I don't like it when I do this stuff...

--Dave.

@bsolute_luck
06-29-2005, 03:56 PM
i did it last night. loose/passive table, 3 limpers, i'm in Button with 77- i limp, both blinds see the flop.

flop comes KJ9, checks to CO who bets and i have played with before and know him to bet draws, so i raise. he rivers a T to win. i was so mad that he kept betting draws i didn't stop to think #1 maybe he has a higher pair or #2 his semi-bluff is good as he has TONS more outs than me

i find i go on tilt when i sit down to play EXPECTING to win. all my good hands should hold up and i will push everyone around with bets, raises, and c/r's. and when i lose, i get mad.

i just can't play poker in that mindset. if i sit to just play a game and pretty much assume anyone could have anything at anytime and suckout on me or play in a weak way (according to me) then i just brush it off- especially when i go on to go up 20BB/100 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fantam
06-29-2005, 04:12 PM
I have only done that by misclicking and then ended up with 2 pair LOL.

But I have occassionally pushed a marginal hand or two too hard after I have had a couple of bad beats.

Also I notice some players being really polite if I get lucky in winning a pot, when they had a very good hand. For example I had 62o in BB and ended up with a full-house by the river and my HU opponent with AA said nh.

So I remember that and try to be a good sport, when other players sometimes get lucky against me.

However if I still find myself getting annoyed when other players hit their low outers against my good hands, I just stop playing.

imported_The Vibesman
06-29-2005, 04:24 PM
I have done the EXACT same thing, probably with the same hands you just quoted. To me it feels like, hey, everyone is winning at this table with this crap, and none of my premium hands have held up, so why not me? WHY NOT ME??

The night would not end well. Now I try to remember, when I am unlucky with good hands I am NOT more likely to be lucky with bad hands. I'm getting really good, as I don't think I've done that since, oh, last Friday.

KingOtter
06-29-2005, 04:35 PM
I find myself becoming overly aggressive when I'm tilting. Raising/betting when I shouldn't rather than playing worser hands.

I have gone over to play money side and played like an ass before, though, to blow off some steam.

KO

jrz1972
06-29-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Twice this month I have called something PF in EP (J6s a few weeks ago and A6o (5 handed) today), where I clearly knew it was a mistake. I was losing both times, and was not happy about either play, immediately afterwards.

Does this happen to any of you guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never done anything quite that rash, but yes this happens to me. (Actually, when I'm getting my ass handed to me and I tilt, I tend to play weakly and fold when I know I should call or call when I know I should raise. This is every bit as bad as a few loose preflop calls and probably worse).

If you haven't already read it, I strongly recomment Inside the Poker Mind. There's a bunch of good stuff in that book, but the chapters on tilt are some of the best stuff I've read on that topic and have really helped my emotional balance a lot. Basically, the key is to not care about short-term results and derive satisfaction from proper play, regarless of the outcome of the hand.

Granted, this is easier said than done but Feeny's analysis of this is excellent.

nomadtla
06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have gone over to play money side and played like an ass before, though, to blow off some steam.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of that, that's a hell of an idea, probably not a new one to the rest of you, but thanks KO.

@bsolute_luck
06-29-2005, 04:41 PM
yeah thinking long term gets easier as you get more comfortable with your play. obviously i got mad at my 77 above example because i knew i shouldn't have even been in the hand.

but once you know "yeah i played that right" and he either got lucky and played his hand wrong or played it right..and still got lucky /images/graemlins/grin.gif it isn't so bad.

Sightless
06-29-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone is winning at this table with this crap, and none of my premium hands have held up, so why not me? WHY NOT ME??

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

Whats worse for me,is quiet often I play the hands that I shoudlnt play, but i flop a straight or any other powerfull hand which is vulnarable and in the end I get outdrawn and lsoe a lot of money )L