PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to play Bethpage Black on Friday?

MaxPower
06-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I have one spot open in my foursome at 9:50 this Friday. You will need to get to the course by 8:50.

PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

MaxPower
06-29-2005, 09:51 PM
No takers?

I'll give it until 11PM and then I will change the reservation to three. PM me if you want the tee time.

Sorry for interupting the important OOT business.

RacersEdge
06-29-2005, 10:28 PM
If not for the 1200 mile drive, I'd play.

Durs522
06-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Blah...too bad I have to work /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

ceyoung
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM
id play with you but im going to boston for the weekend. do you live on long island? we play about 3 times a week and usually have a group of 2-3, if you ever want to check out the other courses on long island, let me know.

Evan
06-29-2005, 10:45 PM
I DO I DO! Thanks for waiting till I was in CA to offer this, punk.

Homer
06-29-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one spot open in my foursome at 9:50 this Friday. You will need to get to the course by 8:50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn it, if I wasn't out of practice...

I used to average around 85, but I'd probably have no chance of breaking 100 if I played today.

EDIT - I meant on a "regular" course. At BB, I'd probably shoot 150. I suck.

ceyoung
06-29-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to average around 85, but I'd probably have no chance of breaking 100 if I played today.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you average 85 you probably wouldn't break 100 on the black.

Homer
06-29-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. I was editing my post as you typed that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I went there to watch the U.S. Open a few years ago, so am familiar with how difficult the course is.

MaxPower
06-29-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I DO I DO! Thanks for waiting till I was in CA to offer this, punk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll get another tee time in the fall. This was a miracle. I called and got through on the very first attempt. That will never happen again.

MaxPower
06-29-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
id play with you but im going to boston for the weekend. do you live on long island? we play about 3 times a week and usually have a group of 2-3, if you ever want to check out the other courses on long island, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Queens. Let me know if you ever need a player.

MaxPower
06-29-2005, 11:34 PM
The Black Course will add at least 10 strokes to your average. The rough is a killer and it is extremely long.

We should play in AC sometime.

HtotheNootch
06-29-2005, 11:34 PM
If my game was in anything resembling decent form I would be all over this. I've played the Black enough times to know that it would just be an exercise in futility and frustration.

I used to love that course when I was in law school. My all-time best round play-wise was a 92 on the Black. That course will expose you weaknesses real fast.

MaxPower
06-29-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If my game was in anything resembling decent form I would be all over this. I've played the Black enough times to know that it would just be an exercise in futility and frustration.

I used to love that course when I was in law school. My all-time best round play-wise was a 92 on the Black. That course will expose you weaknesses real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same excuse everyone gave me. If I had that attitude, I would never play golf.

Snooch to the nooch,

MaxPower

HtotheNootch
06-29-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same excuse everyone gave me. If I had that attitude, I would never play golf.

Snooch to the nooch,

MaxPower

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had recurring shoulder problems so I've been able to hit balls - not play a a round - maybe 4 times in the last two years. That's not a recipe for success on the Black.

Between some of the censored who also play there, and the lemonsucking rangers there, I'd have issues. I once almost had to drop one of those old dudes after he insulted my buddy's then fiancee (now wife), and we were only playing the green.

edtost
06-30-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blah...too bad I have to work /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

edtost
06-30-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as hard as the black is, if you're decently long, it won't add that much to your scoring average. i get out there a couple of times per year and prolly break 100 half the time, and i've broken 80 like 3 times in my life on other courses.

ceyoung
06-30-2005, 12:37 AM
i guess it depends what tees you play too. i play with 0-5 handicappers and they play the us open tees. they say its hard to break 80. i havent played it yet, we were gonna play last sunday but we had to cancel. but i did get rounds in at montauk downs and long island national which are both awesome.

edtost
06-30-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i guess it depends what tees you play too. i play with 0-5 handicappers and they play the us open tees. they say its hard to break 80.

[/ QUOTE ]

they have more than one set of tees? i always wondered what those white and red things that kind of looked like tee markers were.

but seriously, the rating is over 76, so it doesn't surprise me that breaking 80 is a bitch (one of my friends that i was with the last time i was down there has a .1 index; i think he shot 84). it seems like the relative difficulty effects good players more than mediocre or bad players. on the other had, if you can't fly a drive 260 or so, not being able to reach the fairway on some holes is going to kill you, no matter how good you are.

Evan
06-30-2005, 12:48 AM
They very rarely put the blues on the Open tee boxes. Some of the holes they do, but some are orders of magnitudes different between the blues and the 'Open tees'. 4 and 10 come to mind.

MaxPower
06-30-2005, 12:59 AM
I played with a couple of single digit handicappers a week after the Open. They played from the blues. By the back nine they were dribbling it off the tee into the knee high fescue. If you happen to catch the course right after they cut the rough and the fescue isn't too high, you can score decently. If not, you just have to hit long drives and hit the fairway or you are screwed.

I struggle to break 90, so I'm not expecting much.

HtotheNootch
06-30-2005, 12:59 AM
I can't comment since I haven't played it since the Open. In fact, I haven't played it since 1998. I've heard some say it's easier since then since the "upgrades" since the US Open have fixed some of the hazards of it being a State Course. That said, if you can put up a score there, you're good.

That 92 I put up was from the pre-US Open Black tees.

And more importantly, I won money that day.

edtost
06-30-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They very rarely put the blues on the Open tee boxes. Some of the holes they do, but some are orders of magnitudes different between the blues and the 'Open tees'. 4 and 10 come to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 from that back tee is just so [censored] long. i think they call it 490, but its definitely over 5, and over 250 to reach the fairway. i remember one time i was playing there, and i looked over form the 9th green to where the blue markers usually were, and didn't see them. there was a box behind that, but the markers weren't there either. go back another 20 yards and then over a cartpath, and i saw the open box with the blue markers on it, a box that i had never seen before because it was so far from that actual hole.

4 from the way back becomes a 3-shot hole, but i'm not convinced it really gets that much harder from the ~20 yards, especially since you pick up some elevation.

the new box on 5 is stupid long, though i havent't played from it.

and when the tees are up, (edit: 7) becomes a joke.

i've never seen the open box on 15 used (was it even used during the open?), but that hole is impossible anyway. same with the way back on 18, though that one isn't quite as impossible.

edtost
06-30-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you happen to catch the course right after they cut the rough and the fescue isn't too high, you can score decently. If not, you just have to hit long drives and hit the fairway or you are screwed.

I struggle to break 90, so I'm not expecting much.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, as long as you can hit it long most of the time, the course is pretty predictable. every hole is driver-3iron from the fairway or driver-punch a wedge from the rough-wedge to the green, especially once you make the turn. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

good luck down there.