PDA

View Full Version : Checking out the Ocean Jewel this Saturday

kiddj
06-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm finally going to make it out there this weekend. Is there anybody here that I could catch a beer with, or that I should avoid playing with..., or both??? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

toddw217
06-29-2005, 03:53 PM
I was about to head out there last weekend but didn't make it - never been out there, so you'll have to post a report.

I played on some of the other cruises a few years ago - - a bunch of old guys bringing their $200 b/r to a 10/20 limit game. I would hope it's different now...

Good luck!

Etaipo
06-29-2005, 06:12 PM
1) Check the weather before you go

2) If the weather is passable, I'll be there playing in the 'big' NL game, most likely.

kiddj
06-30-2005, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Check the weather before you go

2) If the weather is passable, I'll be there playing in the 'big' NL game, most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kind of weather should I be wary of? We get those damn thunderstorms every day. Will those storms shut the shuttle down?

Can I call their phone number listed on the website en route to be sure?

Etaipo
06-30-2005, 08:29 AM
That's what I do. If it is going to be nasty nasty, don't go. The shuttles will run even during bad weather, but once the sea gets too choppy, they can't dock with the Jewel anymore. Once that happens, you are STUCK (and yes, it has happened to me). Worst case scenario, they will lift anchor and bring the boat to shore, which takes 4-5 hours, and once the anchor is up, no more gambling. Makes for a crappy ride home.

Anyways, I would watch the weather report during the day, and just keep your eye on the boating conditions. And yes, call the Jewel before you leave to make sure shuttles are running.

Maybe I will see you there.

kiddj
06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks! I'll do that.

One more question: I'll follow the directions to the John's Pass Village area, then what about parking? Do they have their own lot, or do I need to just find one? (I live in N. Tampa so I'm not familiar with that area.)

Etaipo
06-30-2005, 09:09 AM
I've only used the John's Pass dock once, shortly after it opened. At the time, I pulled in with a line of cars in front of me. The cars in front would talk to the attendant, then turn around. When I got to the front, he told me to go back out to the road, drive across the bridge, and park in the empty lot next to the 7-11. A shuttle bus then picked us up and took us back to the dock. I BELIEVE THIS HAS CHANGED. I would -DEFINATELY- call ahead of time, and find out where you should be parking.

Also be aware that when I did go (a few months ago), there was heavy construction on the way out to Treasure Island, and it made the trip take an additional 20 minutes or so. I recommend leaving yourself with some extra time to get out there to make sure you do not miss the boat.

I would recommend using the Johns Pass marina, simply because the shuttle boat ride out to the Jewel is about HALF of what it is from the St Pete harbor.

kiddj
06-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Thank you very much for all the information!!! I appreciate the help.

Look for me. I'll be the guy at the $3/6 with short hair and glasses who's drinking a beer and stacking a pyramid of chips. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Etaipo
07-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I think I'm going to have to scratch my attendance. Just had a molar removed, and am busy being wheeed up on crappy painkillers. I will probably spend tomorrow continuing spitting up and swallowing a crapton of blood, and donking around in low cost MTT's online instead.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

kiddj
07-05-2005, 11:27 AM
I woke up nice and early Saturday morning (like 8am) and went to their web site. Instead of shuttle times, it just had a message stating that no shuttles were scheduled due to maintenance issues.

I checked the site again at about 10:30... no change. So, I called their hotline and the guy told me that the problem was fixed, but they weren't running the shuttles until 9pm.

A friend and I decided to go to play at Derby for a few hours since: 1. it's pretty close to his house; and 2. it's closer to Clearwater/St Pete than my house. I think I like the $2 straight limit there because it seemed pretty soft/passive/fishy/friendly, but maybe I just had a good table.

We left at 7pm and I was up $31, which is pretty good for 3 hours at that limit. I called the Ocean Jewel hotline again only to be told that they weren't going to be running until the next day. (Thank you to all the people who stressed calling 1st instead of just showing up.)

Moral: CALL FIRST!! CALL WHEN YOU'RE 1/2 WAY!!! CALL WHEN YOU'RE ALMOST THERE!!!!

I may not attempt to go there again. It seems like it would be less trouble to plan a trip to vegas for the weekend.

Also: How to they expect to stay in business when they can't assure that they are open on a holiday weekend Saturday?!?!?!? If their maintenance is that big of a problem, do I really want to be stuck on their boat???

Etaipo
07-05-2005, 03:57 PM
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=15611

Apparently they had a couple of generators that busted on the ship.

/shrug

What can you do?

Me, on the other hand, I'm glad I wasn't able to go. I ended up at two final tables online this weekend instead, so I made slightly more money than my most profitable night on the Jewel so far /images/graemlins/smile.gif

2 final tables, all doped up. Fortunately, I just got a refill, so maybe I can make a couple more this week /images/graemlins/smile.gif Now if I can just stop myself from donking it up at the final table, I'll be all set!