PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead - I just don't get it.

Boris
06-29-2005, 01:22 PM
I have that OK Computer CD and have tried to listen to it many times. I can't do it. Everyone I know talks about the awesomeness of Radiohead. But no matter how much I try, I still think they suck. What's my problem?

CallMeIshmael
06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Radiohead - I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

HoldEm_Hero
06-29-2005, 01:24 PM
hi

spamuell
06-29-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't think OK Computer is that good either, but listen to The Bends. Wow.

shant
06-29-2005, 01:29 PM
You are not alone in this. On the ride back from Vegas recently, we were in the car of a Radiohead fan. Someone in the car had never heard Radiohead but liked a song called "There There" that had been played in a mix CD. He wanted to hear the rest of the CD. He realized he only liked that song from that album. I have an objective "meh"-type opinion of them, but I think OK Computer is decent, so I told him to listen to that. He quickly realized that Radiohead doesn't live up to the hype. I think that's mainly the fault of people comparing them to The Beatles. In my opinion, the hype is just too strong.

Maulik
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that's mainly the fault of people comparing them to The Beatles. In my opinion, the hype is just too strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard Radiohead compared to the Beatles, that's utter nonsense. With that aside now, Radiohead is good, but I only really like 'Ok Computer'

sfer
06-29-2005, 01:33 PM
You look middle-aged and live in Palo Alto. Why rock the boat? There's a new James Taylor CD around the corner.

tdarko
06-29-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think OK Computer is that good either, but listen to The Bends. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

shant
06-29-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that's mainly the fault of people comparing them to The Beatles. In my opinion, the hype is just too strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard Radiohead compared to the Beatles, that's utter nonsense. With that aside now, Radiohead is good, but I only really like 'Ok Computer'

[/ QUOTE ]
Many times I've heard the following types of phrases:

"Radiohead is the best band since the Beatles."
"Radiohead is the Beatles of our time."

That's what I meant.

Boris
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I'll probably kick your ass the next time I see you.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-29-2005, 01:48 PM
First, Radiohead isn't the kind of music you're going to like when you listen to it in a car. It just isn't car music.

I can understand why some people don't get into it. It's not super poppy accessible rock out the first time you hear it kind of music. If you can't listen to and hear everything in the music, then you're missing out on a lot of what's going on. I think it's brilliant and you guys are just not getting it. If you can't handle OK Computer or Kid A or Hail To The Theif, then I highly suggest The Bends.

shant
06-29-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, Radiohead isn't the kind of music you're going to like when you listen to it in a car. It just isn't car music.

I can understand why some people don't get into it. It's not super poppy accessible rock out the first time you hear it kind of music. If you can't listen to and hear everything in the music, then you're missing out on a lot of what's going on. I think it's brilliant and you guys are just not getting it. If you can't handle OK Computer or Kid A or Hail To The Theif, then I highly suggest The Bends.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just so you're aware, I get it, and I think it is listenable but it's not my favorite band. I was speaking about the hype subjectively. I'm a graphic designer and Radiohead is the band you're supposed to listen to on your iPod in your Jetta on the way to work. It's the favorite band of 90% of the people I've worked with. I had never met anyone who had never heard Radiohead, so observing someone who was responding just to the hype was interesting.

sexypanda
06-29-2005, 02:14 PM
I like radiohead. Their albums are always musically and lyrically very interesting and complex. They strive to musically push the envelope rather than conform to a pop formula (eg. Coldplay). I honestly don't see the Beatles comparison, but I could see them as the Pink Floyd of our time, OK Computer being the "Dark Side" of our time. I think OK Computer is one of the best albums in a while. Im my opinion, it's a work of art rather than a compilation of catchy singles.

MikeL05
06-29-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's brilliant and you guys are just not getting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Help us get it then? I like 2 songs on The Bends, maybe three. You know the 2 or 3. And I don't even like them that much. Please enlighten me.

bronzepiglet
06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not super poppy accessible rock out the first time you hear it kind of music. If you can't listen to and hear everything in the music, then you're missing out on a lot of what's going on. I think it's brilliant and you guys are just not getting it. If you can't handle OK Computer or Kid A or Hail To The Theif, then I highly suggest The Bends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's all definitely undeniably strong music. The Bends can satisfy people who don't feel comfortable without a few standard structure pop-rockish songs.

spamuell
06-29-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not super poppy accessible rock out the first time you hear it kind of music. If you can't listen to and hear everything in the music, then you're missing out on a lot of what's going on. I think it's brilliant and you guys are just not getting it. If you can't handle OK Computer or Kid A or Hail To The Theif, then I highly suggest The Bends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's all definitely undeniably strong music. The Bends can satisfy people who don't feel comfortable without a few standard structure pop-rockish songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why must there be this musical elitism? I'm sure people who like The Bends more would say the other albums can satisfy people who don't feel comfortable without whiny, boring, emo type pop-indie-rockish type songs.

Can't you just accept that people like different music without all this crap?

sfer
06-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Michael Davis has first crack.

jgorham
06-29-2005, 02:57 PM
I am sad for you.

jgorham
06-29-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Help us get it then?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing that would help you get music is pot. Try that. If still no good, I guess it just isn't for you.

bronzepiglet
06-29-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why must there be this musical elitism? I'm sure people who like The Bends more would say the other albums can satisfy people who don't feel comfortable without whiny, boring, emo type pop-indie-rockish type songs.

Can't you just accept that people like different music without all this crap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will accept that people like different music. I will also accept this "without all this crap."

I never tried to rate the albums in order of significance BTW. It's just hard to not objectively say that The Bends has more songs that are similar to what is on rock radio; so if you like rock radio, The Bends is probably the best introduction.

Hey, I like stuff where the hook is delivered straight-up in a fairly predictable manner, too. In fact, I'm just a pop-whore that tends to also like a lot of stuff that's not pop-whorish.

Didn't mean to offend...

RiverFenix
06-29-2005, 03:47 PM
If you dont like radiohead and dont understand why theyre the best band of the last 15 years you dont have a taste in music. there, i said it

OtisTheMarsupial
06-29-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Bends can satisfy people who don't feel comfortable without a few standard structure pop-rockish songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha!

I love Radiohead, but if OP doesn't, so what? Listen to something else. What do I care?

mike l.
06-29-2005, 03:56 PM
youre right they are terrible.

bronzepiglet
06-29-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you dont like radiohead and dont understand why theyre the best band of the last 15 years you dont have a taste in music. there, i said it

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Good, somebody else can absorb the music snob criticism and I can go back to being an all-around nice guy.

istewart
06-29-2005, 04:02 PM
If I had to guess I'd say you liked Fitter Happier, yes?

Claunchy
06-29-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a certain somebody named Fred Durst might have a little something to say about that.

MoreWineII
06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
I liked Pablo Honey, the rest is crap.

sexypanda
06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a certain somebody named Fred Durst might have a little something to say about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the only thing he has that's little.

lu_hawk
06-29-2005, 04:25 PM
i think they're pretty good but they are also unconventional and people like to say they are into unconventional things. they feel smarter.

RacersEdge
06-29-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree, RH blows. I bought OK Computer, listened to it once after skipping over the real dogs. I have no idea where that CD is now.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-29-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bought OK Computer, listened to it once after skipping over the real dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the problem. OKC isn't an album you listen to once. You have to listen to it at least a few times before it really shows itself. I'm a huge fan of Radiohead and OKC, as well as Kid A and Amnesiac and HTTT were all albums I had to listen to a few times before I really liked them. On top of that, Radiohead albums are made to be listened to as a whole from start to finish, not just the singles. Radiohead is much better if you listen to the whole album and not one song at a time.

I am not surprised at all that someone listening to OKC the first time would not like it. I actually expect that a person not like it the first time he hears it. If you really give it a chance, though, you'll hopefully be able to see it for what it really is.

MoreWineII
06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
So listening to a bunch of crappy songs makes each individual song less crappy, is that what you're saying? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

shakingspear
06-29-2005, 04:42 PM
People say they like Radiohead because they think they're supposed to. They they go out and buy Kid A and never listen to it, or put in OK Computer and skip forward to Karma Police. They've become one of those bands you're supposed to have in your collection but you don't really care about.

sexypanda
06-29-2005, 04:51 PM
In my opinion, I tend to like albums that work as a whole. Radiohead definitely looks at an album as a complete piece of work, and isn't looking to make the next pop single and fill the rest of the album with crap. The structure and order of songs, I think, plays an important role when it comes to the feel of a whole album. Radiohead, in my opinion, does this very well. OK Computer epotimizes this. They are also very musically innovative. They don't take the same 4 chords and repeat them. They play very complex music, and use a variety of instruments and effects to give themselves a unique sound. It's this creativity that makes them good.

bronzepiglet
06-29-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People say they like Radiohead because they think they're supposed to. They they go out and buy Kid A and never listen to it, or put in OK Computer and skip forward to Karma Police. They've become one of those bands you're supposed to have in your collection but you don't really care about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno... I'd rather have the $20 rather than getting some 'must have' record that I don't even like. All my Radiohead discs get played the whole way through every 6-12 months maybe.

colgin
06-29-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone I know talks about the awesomeness of Radiohead. But no matter how much I try, I still think they suck. What's my problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beavis: 'Don't worry Butthead, it gets cool in a minute.'

Butthead: 'It better start rocking or I'll really give him something to cry about.'

Beavis: 'Shut up Butthead, it's cool. Check it out, check it out! Here it comes...'

[Metallic guitars ejaculate into a chorus of 'I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo, I don't belong here.']

Beavis: 'Yes! Yes!'

Butthead: 'This is pretty cool.'

Beavis: 'Yeah yeah yeah yeah.'

Butthead: 'Uh?...Uhh?'

[The soft guitars return.]

Beavis: 'What... what's going on...? How come they don't just, like, play that cool part through the whole song?'

Butthead: 'Well, Beavis, if they didn't have, like, a part of the song that sucked, then, it's like, the other part wouldn't be as cool.'

Beavis: 'Really? You're pretty smart Butthead. Hey, here it comes again. Yes! Yes! Raaawk...!'

Boris
06-29-2005, 07:39 PM
OK cool. Now I know who are the posers and who's keepin it real.

private joker
06-29-2005, 07:49 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
You look middle-aged and live in Palo Alto. Why rock the boat? There's a new James Taylor CD around the corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTY.

Chairman Wood
06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
classic!

Chairman Wood
06-29-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone actually said something more stupid than the time I tried to explain how a human could kick an elephant in the ass to death.