PDA

View Full Version : Live one-table tourney decision, any different than SNG?

DarrenX
06-29-2005, 12:52 PM
11-person $100 event, down to 4, top 3 pay. Blinds at 400/800. 33000 chips in play, stacks are as follows:

UTG- T9800. Maniac who obviously doesn't care about the money- likes making moves, stands up to what he percieves to be moves from others. Lucked his way to get here. LAAAAG.

Button- 8100. Seemed solid but a little on the tight side. He hadn't reraised all tourney until a couple hands ago when I folded my AJ to his smallish suspicious raise and he showed KK (had the odds to call but went with my read).

SB- 3100. My buddy that I know his playing style very well, as we've played 200ish heads up tourneys. Very tricky, capable of up and downshifting when necessary... at this point the table perceives him as tight/solid.

BB(Me)- T12000 shown signs of looseness, but shown down mostly solid hands. As of late my open raises hadn't been getting any callers.

So, then hand in question. With 400/800, UTG LAG raises to 1800- no need to suspect a monster, was a fairly standard raise for him. All fold to me with AJo.

NOW- in a SNG on-line, I think it'd be an easy push. What makes me hesitate here is my lack of FE against the maniac. I figure to be ahead and at the very worst a coin flip here if and when he calls, but is it a big enough edge to throw my chip lead away to a guy that will eventually hang himself?

It's been months since I played a live tourney, so I may be overthinking this... just seemed like I had a better read on everyone as it was live, and wondered if those additional reads made it a good idea to wait for a better opportunity.

Oh yeah, and it was really weird to see that big round orb in the sky- you guys call it the "sun", right? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

gumpzilla
06-29-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NOW- in a SNG on-line, I think it'd be an easy push. What makes me hesitate here is my lack of FE against the maniac. I figure to be ahead and at the very worst a coin flip here if and when he calls, but is it a big enough edge to throw my chip lead away to a guy that will eventually hang himself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not on the bubble, particularly since the one player that you fear is the shortstack. I'd want him to fold reasonably frequently to pull that move here. On the other hand, if you think he's liable to start spraying chips, it might be nice to try and seize an opportunity to be the guy he gives the chips to.

DarrenX
06-29-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not on the bubble, particularly since the one player that you fear is the shortstack. I'd want him to fold reasonably frequently to pull that move here. On the other hand, if you think he's liable to start spraying chips, it might be nice to try and seize an opportunity to be the guy he gives the chips to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooo... it's a definite maybe?? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Apathy
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
You say he was very laggy PF, how was his post-flop play? If he is the type that always pots it on a continuation bet i think just calling PF is a very viable option. Then you can check raise all-in on a good flop and get the money in as a much higher favourite then you would have PF.

DarrenX
06-29-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You say he was very laggy PF, how was his post-flop play? If he is the type that always pots it on a continuation bet i think just calling PF is a very viable option. Then you can check raise all-in on a good flop and get the money in as a much higher favourite then you would have PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd most definitely bet if checked to- something to consider, thanks.

Taking that hypothetical further, (3900 pot) the flop comes QJ4r...? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

lastchance
06-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Check-raise and it's not close.