PDA

View Full Version : final table hand $100 buy in - how can i play this better?

texman
06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
I believe all the money is going to find its way into the pot on this - (most likely). I still feel as if I should/could play this situation different in the future.

History: I have been chip leader most of the tourney. I had a rush with 2 tables left (with mp1 at the table) and stole blinds 4 out of 6 hands or so. MP 1 is a solid value bettor and had occasionally made positional plays after the flop to scoop a pot that was checked. The short stacks are very tight. Within the last round I bet out from UTG+ 1 with AQ and bet out 4x bb and was rr buy mp1 player. I called and flop came k32 and I lead out 1/3 pot and got rr and folded.
I felt I was outplaying (or evenly playing ) most people after the flop and I decided to tighten up until this hand came up: the question is at the bottom

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1500 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t33855)
MP1 (t57533)
MP2 (t91984)
CO (t14598)
Button (t30279)
Hero (t37025)
BB (t13818)
UTG (t10908)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t1500, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t4500) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t3300</font>, Hero calls t3300, BB folds.

Turn: (t11100) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t8100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t32225 (All-In)</font>, MP1 calls t24125.

River: (t75550) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t75550

Should I have lead out small to maybe get the bb to stay in and if mp1 rr put him all in on the flop? I thought mp1 had an overpair to the flop. I did not think that mp1 had a flush draw. I knew he had a hand after the lead turn bet but expected the turn bet from him because i had called a few flops in late position before and folded the turn card when it was bet into me.
He probably assumed i was on a flush draw with a pair. If I lead out would this induce a fold - If I shove it in on the turn?
Any thoughts are appreciated

autobet
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
It always depends on what your opponents have. If they have good hands you will get action, if not your only hope is to induce a bluff or to check and let them catch up.

Looks like you played the hand fine.

mlagoo
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
This is a bad beat post.

You don't want to induce a fold. You have the nuts. He's drawing (I presume) to four outs, possibly nine outs if he's on a flush draw. You want him in the pot, and you want to extract chips out of him while he's drawing.

You played it fine. I'm iffy about the turn c/r all-in -- it may scare him off. I'd be more inclined to lead out with a small, maybe 1/2 pot, hoping to get raised, and putting all my chips in at that point. I think it disguises your hand better.

Anyway, you got lucky that someone else hit a big hand when you flopped the nuts; you got unlucky they drew out on you. That's poker.

People_Mover
06-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I think I play it the same way you did, but I definatley get all my chips in before the river.

Rick Diesel
06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
You get all-in with the nuts after the turn and you want to play the hand better? This is the dumbest post I have read on here in a long time.

texman
06-29-2005, 01:09 PM
i was wondering how many would lead out with this hand vs slowplaying and risking giving free cards to allow the flush draw to hit.
Obviously all the money should go in on the turn - especially since it is a blank.
But other options would be c/r the flop and lead out on the turn depending if a blank hits.
If someone has an overpair then i think the way i played it is fine.
If someone has a flush draw - then they may feel pot commited to call my c/r all in on the turn (despite the fact that they would be drawing against pot odds), therefore someone desperate to hit a flush draw might get shoved off his hand if the flop is c/r and then the turn is lead into him.
My question was not meant to be limited to this hand (because trips is likely going all in) but also how this hand should be played if mp1 was on a flush draw and was willing to commit all in on a draw.
Personally if I am reading people well with a big stack - I don't want someone to suck out on a flush draw - I would rather get some flop money and when the non-diamond hits shove them off their hand on the turn by leading out with a pot bet or more.

lolimit
06-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't MP1 have raised preflop with an overpair to the board? I would think he would have pushed that being one of the bigger stacks. I don't know how you don't put him on a flush draw on the flop. I would pop it up there, say about the size of the pot, and hope he comes over the top with a set, or folds his flush draw. He's going to have a hard time reading your straight.

After the flop call, the all in turn bet is a no brainer in my mind. He's shown strength with his close to pot sized bet, take his chips.

I hope you didn't lose the hand when the board paired on the river... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

texman
06-29-2005, 01:15 PM
i guess it is better to say i didn't think he was on a flush draw after he bet the turn instead of opting for a free card. - yup the board pair screwed me - i doubt he would have folded his flopped trip 5's. I was so shocked i hit the straight that i reflex checked instead of thinking about it -
but you are right i think i should lead out the turn mp1 had a tendency to enter few pots but the pots he entered he would always keep betting
- i could have been all in rr on the flop by the bb so by calling the flop i wanted to see what his action would be

locutus2002
06-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I think the turn check is a mistake.

Villain can have a wide range of holding here, and most of them he's checking behind on the turn, especially on such a coordinated board.

As it turned out villain bet the hand and probably has 2 pr or better and the push is likely to get called /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

I'd bet 1/2 the pot also and allow villain to continue with his weaker holdings.