PDA

View Full Version : What makes a bet in NL?

JayKon
02-02-2003, 05:46 PM
While playing in a Paradise NL tournement, the following occured.

BB $300T, MP called, LP called, I'm in the SB and see that the BB only has $52T left, which I figure he is going to raise with, so I call with J9s (I'm chip leader by ~$2,000T). The MP calls and then the LP raises all-in another $1,500T.

Now, I am mainly a limit player, but isn't the LP player raising his own bet? Does NL not have a concept of what consistutes a bet? So, you can bet whatever you like whenever the action is on you?

It caught me totally off-guard and Paradise support just sent me the link to the rules, which is silent on the point of what is a bet and what isn't.

Thanks,
Jay

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-04-2003, 10:10 AM
You must have failed to notice a raise by the BB. If he checked his option that would have closed the action.

lysis
02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing the action goes like this:

MP calls the T300, LP calls, SB completes, BB raises an extra T52 to T352, MP calls, LP shoves all-in for 1500.

That's my guess at least.

I'm no expert on the rules, however, I wouldn't expect that the LP would be allowed to raise all-in like that. At least that's the gist that I got from a Phil Hellmuth Hand of the Week from CardPlayer a while back, when the dealer told Howard Lederer that he could re-raise a $375 all-in re-raise from an initial $400 bet, cause it was more than half the original bet.

lysis

SoBeDude
02-04-2003, 12:38 PM
I'm confused.

IF the BB raises his last 52T, then the first re-raise is by the player in LP. in a NL game, you can't UNDER-raise a previous raise, but there should be no upper-limit on a raise or reraise.

Did I miss something?

-Scott

JayKon
02-04-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks to those who replied, however, I can't expect a clear answer unless I provide a clear question. I need some practice at describing a hand.

Let me see if I can rephrase this in a clearer fasion.

Paradise NL tournement:

SB: ~$4,000T (Hero/me)
BB: $52T after posting the $300T BB
MP: ~$2,000T
LP: ~$2,000T
All others fold.

Action & thoughts:

MP: Calls $300T
LP: Calls $300T

"I've got J9s and the BB only has $52T left, which he will almost certinally raise with. Because $52T is less than half a bet, no one can reraise and I will be able to see the flop for $202T (plus my already posted SB)".

SB: completes
BB: Raise $52T

"As I expected, BB raised his $52T".

MP: Calls
LP: Re-raise ~$1,500T

"What!?!? That raise should not have been legal! The $52T s not a bet. The LP player basically raised his own bet, which I have always beleived illegal.