PDA

View Full Version : Still too scared of post-flop play? Or a bird in the hand?

Blarg
06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
How crazy was this?

I thought my preflop play might have been a bit unorthodox, but I like it. There was I think a chance for a truly monster payday in doing it one way, versus a much more minor one the other way -- plus of course the chance of losing no matter what. But agree with what I did preflop or not, I'm thinking I blew the set-up once I established it, failing to milk the situation I explicitly took a chance to do by making the preflop decisions I did.

I'm looking at a 1700 pot, with two people live plus an all-in tidily minding his own business. I'm also looking at a two-flush and a two-straight, and action yet to come after my move. 1700 seems worth winning outright to me.

Was not trying to get more post-flop an okay choice considering the danger of the board and multiple opponents, plus the fact that the pot was so big?

***** Hand History for Game 2281752394 *****
NL Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:13505198 Level:2 Blinds(15/30) - Wednesday, June 29, 10:47:50 EDT 2005
Table Table 39776 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 2: cdog127 ( $325 )
Seat 4: HERO ( $1620 )
Seat 5: magicjoe23 ( $1185 )
Seat 6: Muckthat22 ( $1695 )
Seat 8: alvin46 ( $410 )
Seat 9: WWGURU ( $1100 )
Seat 10: treyh ( $1665 )
Trny:13505198 Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ad Ah ]
WWGURU folds.
treyh raises [100].
cdog127 folds.
Hero calls [100].
magicjoe23 calls [100].
Muckthat22 calls [85].
alvin46 is all-In [380]
treyh: wow
treyh calls [310].
Hero calls [310].
magicjoe23 calls [310].
Muckthat22 folds.
>You have options at Table 17612 Table!.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8h, 7s, 3s ]
cdog127: should have stayed in
>You have options at Table 17612 Table!.
treyh bets [275].
Hero is all-In [1210]
magicjoe23 folds.
treyh folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qs ]
** Dealing River ** [ Jh ]
alvin46 shows [ Kc, Kd ] a pair of kings.
Hero shows [ Ad, Ah ] a pair of aces.
Hero wins 1485 chips from side pot #1 with a pair of aces.
Hero wins 1740 chips from the main pot with a pair of aces.
alvin46 finished in seventh place.
alvin46 has left the table.

Chaostracize
06-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I think once you've played it like this a min-raise or just slightly more than a min-raise on the flop would be delicious.

jcm4ccc
06-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't mind the first preflop call so much. The pot has already been raised and I think it's fine to disguise the strength of your hand.

But your heart should have sank a little when three other people entered the pot. Now, when the betting comes back to you preflop, I think it was a huge mistake not to push at this point. You have a huge pot already. You don't want five opponents to see the flop, especially when you won't have enough chips to play the flop correctly. If you push preflop, treyh will probably come along for the ride and your other two opponents will probably fold. I think that's a much better situation than just calling the reraise.

gumpzilla
06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking at a 1700 pot, with two people live plus an all-in tidily minding his own business. I'm also looking at a two-flush and a two-straight, and action yet to come after my move. 1700 seems worth winning outright to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm inclined to agree. With that kind of preflop action, I might think heavily about pushing when it gets back to me, as I'm thinking that the original raiser who called the all-in is pretty likely to come with. But I think the flop push is fine, it's definitely a substantial enough pot to merit taking down right away.

jeffraider
06-29-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think once you've played it like this a min-raise or just slightly more than a min-raise on the flop would be delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I like making it 650 or something here. You've already played it a bit slow, I say go for the gold!

sng-sam
06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
well. I think your "creative" preflop play is dangerous. but that said most who limp with rockets are hoping/praying for a raise so that they..drumroll....can come over the top! by not doing so you are in deep you know what. This many people see the flop and it is entirely possible that some one (especially at low limits) has hit a set. Now what will you do when he comes at you hard on the flop. Probably call without much thought (cause you have AA) and be pissed to see that you gave someone the right price to crack your aces. Limping wiht aces is fun but it IMHO is done ONLY if you have a STRONG feeling that someone will raise and then you can come over the top. otherwise...you are inviting them all to bend you over and give it to you good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif so that's my 2 cents. I'm passionate. I understand your situation I must admit that I've been greedy with Aces on way to many occasions. Just remember the old saying "better to win a small pot than to lose a big one." Good Luck

SAM

xLukex
06-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Does anyone want to throw around going all in preflop?

Obviously after that all-in raise of 340 or whatever. One villain calls it, another is to act after you.

Really puts their balls in a vice.

adanthar
06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, the initial call is situationally OK but you really have to push afterwards.

lastchance
06-29-2005, 02:55 PM
What he said.