PDA

View Full Version : Fundamental theory of poker question

Daliman
02-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Does the fundamental theory of poker allow for more than one person playing properly throughout the hand, or can only one person(usually, but not always the ulitmate winner of the hand), or can more than one person trly play exactly properly, as if all hands were face up? Case in point:
seat 4 calls Q10h,seat 5 calls 56s, seat 8 raises 10c10d,all others fold, 4 & 5 call, 7.5 SB's in pot Flop comes Js 9h 3s, 4 & 5 check, 8 bets, 4 & 5 call. 10.5 SB's in pot Turn comes 3d, checked to 8 and called by all 16.5 Sb's in pot. River As, 4 checks, 5 bets, both fold. Now other than preflop, in which 4 & 5 are behind preflop but have options with their hand, but are still left with underdog status to 1010(hot/cold runs about 33/23/44), but once the flop comes, given The FTOP, all plays seem correct. My TOP book is currently buried in the corner of my currently-being-finished basement, so i can't check if the TOP accounts for this.

tdiddy
02-02-2003, 07:20 PM
DS does mention that with multi way pots, the FTOP may not always hold. But that it always holds in HU situation.

Daliman
02-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Ok, but let's say that the straight draw decides to drop out on the flop; aren't 56s calls still proper, therefore it wouldn't matter if he could see 1010's cards since he has proper pot odds to continue to the end? Or does that part only refer to Heads up for the whole hand,(which also can't be true, based on reverse impleid odds hands, such as when Stuey Ungar called Doyle in his first WSOP with a gutshot even though he knew doyle had top pair or better).?

Dynasty
02-02-2003, 11:20 PM
can more than one person truly play exactly properly, as if all hands were face up?

Yes, due to the dead money in the pot.

SoBeDude
02-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Isn't it be possible for N-1 players to be playing properly on a given hand?

I think in all cases, there must be one player with a negative expectation to feed the positive expectation of the others in the hand.

-Scott

Bozeman
02-05-2003, 12:29 AM
With dead money, it is possible for all (N) players to play correctly. For example, suppose heads up SB is a small underdog (say 11:10) to BB. He should call and call BB's raise.

Craig