PDA

View Full Version : Modding a PS2

steelcmg
06-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I want to mod my PS2 im wondering what would be the better choice going with one of the solderless chips. or goin with the fliptop/swap magic disks. I have never soldered anything this small and do not want to mess with doing that. Here are the links to the choices the price difference is about 20-30$.

Fliptop:
http://www.modchip.com/ps2/v12fliptop.php

Solderless chip:
http://www.modchip.com/ps2/dms4eziorder.php

Also if anyone knows of some place to get either of these cheaper please let me know.

CallMeIshmael
06-29-2005, 01:05 PM
My xbox is modded with a soldered chip, and my PS2 is modded with a swap thing. Both work well.

FWIW, (though I cant help you out with the PS2), with my xbox chip I purchased a solderless component, and it didnt work all that well. It kept getting knocked loose, and I was forced to use the 'paper trick.'

In the end, when I got home from school for a break, I had a friend of my dad's install it (who has a job in that field).

Because of my experience, I dont think I'll ever buy a solderless chip again.

Alobar
06-29-2005, 01:08 PM
what will a moded PS2 do?

CallMeIshmael
06-29-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what will a moded PS2 do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Plays copied games.

Though, it might be able to do more. I dont know much about PS2 homebrew software. But, for example, a modded XBox does:

- Save games to the hard drive (and run them, which helps load times)
- Save/Play DVDs/computer vides/mp3s from the hard drive
- Play all console games from atari -> n64
- Surf the web (not sure how well this works, because I have no need for it)

steelcmg
06-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Yea im kinda thinking about just getting an x box thats already modded i have seen a few on ebay for like 225$ that come with some games already on the hard drive. I think i may just take some of my poker money out and get one of those and maybe the swap magic for the PS2.

stabn
06-29-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea im kinda thinking about just getting an x box thats already modded i have seen a few on ebay for like 225$ that come with some games already on the hard drive. I think i may just take some of my poker money out and get one of those and maybe the swap magic for the PS2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrrrrrrr

steelcmg
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrrrrrrr

[/ QUOTE ]

?

Most of the games on the hard drive are old NES games which im sure 50% of people on 2+2 already have on there comp.

stabn
06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...Most...

[/ QUOTE ]

Grr...

focus42
06-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Post deleted by focus42

CallMeIshmael
06-29-2005, 03:24 PM
I agree with everything except:

[ QUOTE ]
For around $150 you can send your PS2 off to someone and have them mod it for you...well worth the cost if you are into gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

150 is WAYYYY too much, given that you can get a premodded PS2 on ebay for around that.