PDA

View Full Version : Disgraceful Comment from a Political Leader

10-22-2001, 04:23 PM
In British Columbia, Canada, we have a fellow who is being sought by the U.S. government for possible links to the terrorist activities. The U.S. is seeking to have him extradited. After being detained he applied for bail. At the bail hearing the judge ordered that the person be granted bail because the U.S. authorities have not provided evidence to support extradition.

Our Premier (equivalent of a state govenor) has said that the decision to grant bail was "wrong" and "will do nothing to increase the public's confidence in these types of decisions". He said that the court "should have detained him until his extradition hearing."

I think the comments by our Premier are disgraceful. A politician who was not at the hearing (he was in Toronto at the time) and likely has not heard any of the evidence is saying that the judge (who heard and saw all the evidence) made a wrong decision.

I think this is another example of politicians trying to curtail fundamental freedoms because of the fear of the terrorism. The biggest fear I have is that our society will routinely disregard people's fundamental rights for convenience reasons. M's post about torture is scary when you read some of the posts which supported it. In Canada, the Liberal government has brought forward a bill which defines terrorism so broadly that striking nurses would fall under its definition.

I bet most citizens of British Columbia probably agree with what the Premier says, however, that still doesn't make it right. That is why we have fundamental freedoms... so they are not subject to the whims of the majority.

10-22-2001, 09:04 PM
That scumbag was wanted for good reason. Or maybe not even a good reason. I don't care. People are dropping like flies in the US, and some milksop liberal lets a possible terrorist out on bail? The US is at war, your either with us or not!!!!

This Anthrax thing is not a product of domestic terrorism, it's too big for that. Anyone who doesn't see that is a fool. Why is our Gov so hot to get the Small Pox vacines? They know, that's why. They just don't want to breed more panic than is already present. If this bio-terrorism escalates, it's time to start lobbing some well placed nukes. Give Russia and China a heads up, and tell them our full arsenal is aimed at their major cities. Don't forget, we have the Brits with us, and they have a full plate of Inter-Continental Ballistic missiles too.

The world would toe the line and not screw with us if we decided to go Nuclear. That is fact. So, Clinteroo, go crawl back to your little safe part of the world where no Anthrax or Suicidal pilots exist. You are living in a dream world.

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

10-23-2001, 05:42 AM
Nuke Russia, wow. I was under the impression they were part of the anti-terrorism coalition.

Chris

10-23-2001, 12:09 PM
What makes you think your Premier had not read the transcripts of the hearing. Being a top government official gives him pretty quick access to even restricted information. Judges make lots of decisions day after day and occasionally pull a boner. This one sounds like a big one considering the recent events. Your concern over legal rights is commendable but I think mis-directed in this particular case.