PDA

View Full Version : AT for top pair on monotone flop.

Akimka
06-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Villain is 21/8/1.25 for 39 hands

Would you play it differently? Fold on river maybe?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

Kailia Marie
06-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi Akimka,

You played the hand okay. It wouldn't be wrong by much if you never folded top pair in a heads up pot. Villian could have several hands here which you beat or chop with.

/images/graemlins/heart.gifKailia

Bill Lumberg
06-29-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't be wrong by much if you never folded top pair in a heads up pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You think the heads-up opponent caps the flop with something that doesn't beat TP often enough to make calling profitable with the size of the pot? after Hero raised PF?

SmileyEH
06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Dont' 3bet the flop.

-SmileyEH

Kailia Marie
06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Bill,

In my experience A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifx and especially A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifTx or K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifTx is often played in this fashion. I'm not really advocating anything either direction except that that calling down here, if wrong, is only so by fractions of a big bet. I think there are better spots to find thin folds IMO.

QTip
06-29-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bill,

In my experience A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifx and especially A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifTx or K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifTx is often played in this fashion. I'm not really advocating anything either direction except that that calling down here, if wrong, is only so by fractions of a big bet. I think there are better spots to find thin folds IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree.

btw...I guess the wedding is over now and the marriage starts....congratulations.

flair1239
06-29-2005, 11:57 AM
I think this was minor spewing. Villian has stats pretty close to what you would expect of a typical player, the line I would have taken is this:

1. Call the flop check raise.
2. Raise the turn.
3. Fold to a three-bet/ most likely check behind on the river, although might think of value betting a blank, but 85% of the time checking behind.

My reason is that I would play a lot of hands fast on the flop on that board, that I would not on the turn. A three bet on the turn (with this board) from a typical standard 5/10 player means you are miles behind.

Piiop
06-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Why would you check behind on the river if your opponent didn't 3-bet the turn?

W. Deranged
06-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I think a different line on this hand is merited. Consider the following:

1. A lot of cards can come on the turn that kill your hand.

2. Your opponent is not hugely aggressive, though not unreasonable.

3. You are in position.

4. There is a possibility that you are completely dead to a flush already.

5. You have essentially no outs against most hands you are behind.

These factors lead me to believe that three-betting the flop is incorrect here. If you plan on doing so, I have to think it is largely informational and you plan to get away from the hand on the turn. Otherwise, I think calling the check-raise and then raising a non-diamond turn is a significantly better play. That way, you avoid letting a big diamond draw for cheap and extract max value against draws. You also avoid putting in a lot of money if a diamond comes on the turn. You exploit your position. Finally, there's an outside shot you may get your opponent to fold a better hand (or the other A10) by showing strength.

Be prepared to fold the turn to a three-bet, and check the river behind. This line costs you only three big bets when behind instead of four from the line you took, as well as putting better pressure on draws.

flair1239
06-29-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you check behind on the river if your opponent didn't 3-bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because depending on the opponent, there are a reasonable number of hands that he would not three-bet on the turn, that still have us beat.

For instance on this board a turn raise by us, could freeze a set or a small flush depending on the player.