PDA

View Full Version : AA on the bubble

Dubious
06-29-2005, 10:18 AM
I've been thinking through a hand from a live tournament I played this weekend. So, far, I don't think I'd play it differently next time, but I wanted to get some advice.

5 players left, top 4 positions pay out. Blinds are 100/200 with following approximate chip counts: SB 8000, BB 4000, Hero 4000, MP 1500, Button 4000.

I am under the gun with AA and I raise to 600. It was the standard raise for this round, generally folded to in this game but often got one caller. This time, Button and SB call.

Flop was K82, three suited. SB checked and I bet 1200. Button calls and SB folds. The button is a very good player who can be very aggressive and tricky. She seldom just calls anything. At this point, I'm reading the button as possibly having a king, but maybe more likely flopping a set to her pocket pair.

Turn was another K and I think I see a genuine smile from the button. I don't have position, I'm guessing I'm behind so while I consider a bet, I end up checking. She checks too.

River was a 9. I think that any bet here might take the pot, but maybe not. I'm pretty sure that she's going all-in here if I check, but I don't want to hesitate so I lean completely back from the table, try to look relaxed and, without looking at her, just quietly say, "Check." I was hoping to cause her to be suspicious and decide to also check. Instead, she went all-in. Ends up she had me covered by only 10 chips or so. I count everything, chat with her briefly to see whether I can pick up any hint of whether she wants me to call or not, and I coundn't tell anything. So, I folded, figuring that I still wasn't the low person and I'd probably still make the money. She then shows AJ.

The great thing was that I didn't let it affect me. I made it into the money, eliminated her an hour later on a similar bluff (where I had a great hand and let her raise all-in on the river) and I went on to win the tournament.

However, I'm wondering whether I had the right play and thought process on that one hand. Is there something to my play there that will really hurt me in the long run. Was the out-of-position bet on the flop too low? Do I put too much faith in thinking I saw somebody briefly smile? What do you all think?

sekrah
06-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Check on the turn was okay.. But her check was all very telling..

I like a small river bet here.. Abt 600 chips.. Checking looks very very weak.. 600 chips might get her thinking, "Milk play." and be far less willing to come over the top without a King. If she comes over the top, that's a woman with balls and a great read on you!

Did the King on the turn make 2 suits on the board? If so her check behind you on the turn was good sign she wasn't holding that King.. 600 chip bet on the river seems to me to be the play.

If she has the King, and she puts you on a marginal hand, she's not going to be moving all in to push you off it on the river, when she wasn't willing to do the same thing on the turn!! She would have thrown 800-1000 out there to tempt you to call on the river!!

DarrenX
06-29-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Check on the turn was okay.. But her check was all very telling..

I like a small river bet here.. Abt 600 chips.. Checking looks very very weak.. 600 chips might get her thinking, "Milk play." and be far less willing to come over the top without a King. If she comes over the top, that's a woman with balls and a great read on you!

Did the King on the turn make 2 suits on the board? If so her check behind you on the turn was good sign she wasn't holding that King.. 600 chip bet on the river seems to me to be the play.

If she has the King, and she puts you on a marginal hand, she's not going to be moving all in to push you off it on the river, when she wasn't willing to do the same thing on the turn!! She would have thrown 800-1000 out there to tempt you to call on the river!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your line on the flop and turn... I'd add a river blocking bet of 1200. I'm not a big fan of lowering my bet on the river because too many observant players would take it as a sign of weakness and pounce.

I don't think when she checks behind with a second king on the turn means that she doesn't have it. I'd say a good 50% of the time I'll check behind with the goods here to induce a river bet from a pocket pair that gets false confidence. One Journeyman's thoughts...

sekrah
06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your line on the flop and turn... I'd add a river blocking bet of 1200. I'm not a big fan of lowering my bet on the river because too many observant players would take it as a sign of weakness and pounce.

I don't think when she checks behind with a second king on the turn means that she doesn't have it. I'd say a good 50% of the time I'll check behind with the goods here to induce a river bet from a pocket pair that gets false confidence. One Journeyman's thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's still 50/50 after she checks the turn whether she has the King or not..

But, my thought is, her "All-In" move screams that, "I know you don't have the king!" and not "I have the King, I'll see if this guy will call all-in with marginal hand!"..

You're probably right about the 600.. You don't want to back off too weakly.. A great player might see that as weakness, but it still takes alot of balls to push someone off the hand.. 1K might be a good amount, and if she comes over the top, you still have more chips than the short stack!

Rick Diesel
06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
With 2,000 in the pot after the flop, and you having only 3,400 behind, I think that all-in here is definitely the play.