PDA

View Full Version : IE Security Warnings driving me crazy!

DavidC
06-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Probably 5%-10% of the sites that i go to have something on them that makes IE pop up a security warning.

This generally just says "you're transferring secure information, is this okay?"

I have to click yes, or it doesn't let me see the rest of the site, and it also moves my mouse when this happens (I think).

It's really upsetting me.

But I know all the hotkeys for IE and I don't want to change to firefox. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is there a way to get rid of these messages?

I don't have anything else running in the background during this time.

--Dave.

guller
06-29-2005, 08:45 AM
There should be a check box on the pop-up that says don't show me this type of message again.

DavidC
06-29-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There should be a check box on the pop-up that says don't show me this type of message again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only it were that easy! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://img170.echo.cx/img170/1939/shotofannoyance5wn.jpg

If I click on "view cert..." this is what I get:

I obviously don't have ot install every cert, and there's not an option to "don't ask me in the future". IT's probably in advanced properties somewhere... I just don't know where it is (in internet options).

http://img170.echo.cx/img170/9112/shotofannoyance28ug.jpg

Any suggestions? I would love to put it in Bill's pooper, but I don't think that will fix my IE. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

guller
06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
tools, internet options, security, custom level, try medium or medium-low

Lefthander
06-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Use Firefox instead.

DavidC
06-30-2005, 12:54 AM
I tried switching to medium low and it told me that it wouldn't allow me to do that.

I tried going into the security tab, custom level...

I'm starting to get pissed.

Does anyone know if there's a mod for firefox that makes it use IE hotkeys? I would REALLY like that, as that's my main argument for using IE currently (once I get used to the keyboard, it's how I like to do things).

--DAve.

Reef
06-30-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Use Firefox instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheTROLL
06-30-2005, 05:42 AM
Few possibilities...
1)IE's screwed - check www.windowsupdate.com (http://www.windowsupdate.com) for updates. If already up to date, from control panel Add/Remove Programs find Microsoft Internet Explorer, click the Remove button and select Repair from the dialog.

2)Your PC's date setting is wrong, double click the clock in the corner to check. Long shot, but it would explain this type of warning.

3)Just turn off the warnings. Tools/Internet Options/Advanced. Near the bottom uncheck Warn about invalid site certificates.

BTW, hold down ALT with PrintScrn to just capture the active window.

DavidC
06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Few possibilities...
1)IE's screwed - check www.windowsupdate.com (http://www.windowsupdate.com) for updates. If already up to date, from control panel Add/Remove Programs find Microsoft Internet Explorer, click the Remove button and select Repair from the dialog.

2)Your PC's date setting is wrong, double click the clock in the corner to check. Long shot, but it would explain this type of warning.

3)Just turn off the warnings. Tools/Internet Options/Advanced. Near the bottom uncheck Warn about invalid site certificates.

BTW, hold down ALT with PrintScrn to just capture the active window.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket.

This started happening when I set my date back to 1994...

I'm pretty sure that I tried removing ALL the checks (other than SSL checks) from the security area. I rechecked them when I got the same error...

I'm going to try changing my clock to maybe 2000 or something like that and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Pretty amazing that you caught that (as I wouldn't think it would have expired just yet if I was in 1994!).

TheTROLL
06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket.

This started happening when I set my date back to 1994...

I'm pretty sure that I tried removing ALL the checks (other than SSL checks) from the security area. I rechecked them when I got the same error...

I'm going to try changing my clock to maybe 2000 or something like that and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Pretty amazing that you caught that (as I wouldn't think it would have expired just yet if I was in 1994!).

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, and I nearly didn't include that one. Rather than 2000, consider setting the date to 2005, if you check your second image above you'll see why - the certificate has a START as well as end date.

DavidC
06-30-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haha, and I nearly didn't include that one. Rather than 2000, consider setting the date to 2005, if you check your second image above you'll see why - the certificate has a START as well as end date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than saying that the cert expired, why don't they instead say,

"The certificate has not yet been un-anti-reverse-expired."

This f-ing sucks.

I want to set the date back, but if I set the date back to 2000, it doesn't have the same day of the week/month.

1994 the 30th of june was thurs, 2000 it was fri, 2005 it's thurs again.

icepick
06-30-2005, 02:00 PM
So, uh, why not have your date set correctly?

TheTROLL
06-30-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Rather than saying that the cert expired, why don't they instead say,

"The certificate has not yet been un-anti-reverse-expired."

This f-ing sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dave - settle down! The message says "...has expired OR IS NOT YET VALID". So come on, let's hear it - why not use 2005 for the system date... it's what everyone is doing these days!

Edit - bleurgh - he's just trying to rip (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2763754&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1#Post2763754) someone off... surprise!