PDA

View Full Version : Sweating someone against the rules?

bernie
06-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Was in a game the other day and an uknown guy had his wife sweating him. He wasn't a regular in the room, though I have seen him a couple more times now.

Anyways, he would show his wife his cards as he played. No biggie. Some nit asked for the rail to be cleared because of this. Now, I can see it if they are talking to each other during a hand, fine. They may have been doing that earlier a bit, but I'd give them credit that they didn't really know better. They didn't seem that experienced in being in a cardroom. However, soon the nit was just complaining because he was just showing her. They weren't interacting during the hand. But just showing her his cards? Please. She was your typical chick behind the player. Just watching. That's all. I'd lay odds she barely knew the hand rankings.

I don't see this falling under the 1 player to a hand rule. (since they weren't conversing during the hand) It kind of pissed me off that the nit adamantly pulled that move.

Not to mention, the guy was good action. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is there a problem with letting someone sweat you?

b

Klepton
06-29-2005, 07:09 AM
this is one of the many reasons why i hate nits

if i was at this table i would have told the nit, "dude it's his wife/girlfriend, she's probably bored, let her have fun."

then i would raise his blind every time

steamboatin
06-29-2005, 07:11 AM
I have no problem with this. Not only is this guy a nit, he is bad for the game. Smart people encourage the new players and make their wives feel welcome.

sekrah
06-29-2005, 07:20 AM
I love it when these people are the table.. That's a double read!!

I was at a limit game a couple years ago at the Taj.

This one young girl (20 something) was standing behind her boyfriend watching him play.. Absolutely GORGEOUS KNOCKOUT.. A 10 1/2.. Perfect breasts near the upper echelon of the C-level and her cleavage is just bursting out of her low cut dress she was wearing.

Anyway, I get dealt Q-Q, and this guy leads out and raises preflop UTG.. I raise back, and he calls ?!?

Anyway. I can see this girl starts getting a little antsy in her seat behind her boyfriend after she looks at his cards.. All of a sudden she's become REAL interested in this hand!!

Flop comes A-x-x.. He checks.. I bet, he calls!

Turn is a Queen! Bingo I'm thinking.. he checks again ?!? I bet out, he raises!? (A-Q?!) I raise back.. he caps it, I call.

A brick hits the board.. Rainbown board, no straight draws..

He bets out at the river.. This beautiful babe behind this guy is now REALLY getting worked up.. She's now starting to noticeable breath a little heavier and is staring at the board and me really intently..

Something stinks and I just call at the end..

He turns over a set of Aces..

If it weren't for her I would have most likely capped it on the river too. She saved me 3 BB's.

bernie
06-29-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with this. Not only is this guy a nit, he is bad for the game. Smart people encourage the new players and make their wives feel welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a point I thought of while watching this happen. How welcome does this couple feel in the room? I'm sure his wife sees other people at other tables with their g/f or b/f's watching.

b

steamboatin
06-29-2005, 07:30 AM
First time we were in Vegas, the MRS sat behind me for a little while and I was showing her my hole cards. I get AA, She says "WOO!" and the entire table cracks up.

I didn't get much action on that hand.

Al_Capone_Junior
06-29-2005, 01:12 PM
I have played in a large number of cardrooms, and there is no rule I have ever seen that forbids someone from sweating you from behind, as long as they aren't conversing about hands in play. I have also, at least up till now, never seen anyone attempt to mis-apply the "one player to a hand" rule in this manner. The nit should be kicked square in the nuts, banned for life (for being a friggin' nit), and sent on his merry friggin' way.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
06-29-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then i would raise his blind every time

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I'll have to try this, it will be worth the money spent just to irritate the nits.

al

sfer
06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
3 BBs. That puts you like, what, 9 minutes closer to retirement?

VoraciousReader
06-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Maybe he was just mad that there was a lady present and so he couldn't say "$#%@*!"
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SamIAm
06-29-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smart people encourage the new players and make their wives feel welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]You got it. I was playing in Vegas and this total fish brought his wife with him. He didn't show her every hand, but still made her sit with him.

I struck-up a conversation with them (mostly her) just to keep her entertained. (He was entertained enough by dumping money on the table.) I'd explain some of the game to her. ("That guy had 2 pair, but that guy had a flush." etc.)

Not only did it keep him at the table, but it got him to soft-play against me. A couple times he'd flop a set or river 2 pair, and wouldn't raise me because we were "buddies".

So, I<ul type="square"> was polite
made more money
had more fun at the table[/list]
Seems like a +EV move all around. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
-Sam

Randy_Refeld
06-29-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a problem with letting someone sweat you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The most common rule I have seen is anyone at the table when they sit may object when they sit down. After he begins playing with someone watching everyone has lost their chance to object and no new player coming into the game may object.

bernie
06-29-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have also, at least up till now, never seen anyone attempt to mis-apply the "one player to a hand" rule in this manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote the nit, "It's in the rules."

Next time I'll speak up. I was kind of in awe that someone was being that much of a 'tard and let it pass.

b

chesspain
06-29-2005, 04:19 PM
What makes me uncomfortable is having someone sweating a person sitting next to me, given my concern that this friend/spouse might be able to see my cards.

Preytar
06-29-2005, 04:25 PM
I agree. I try to make the players around me comfortable and relaxed. It typically results in their play loosening up, and they become much more passive.

Bulldog
06-29-2005, 04:31 PM
A situation like this is the only time I felt an inkling of guilt while taking a pot. 1/2 NL 300 max at Borgata. Victim has been playing a while, but his girlfriend has only been watching for the last two or three hands, impressed that he's up $100 or so. A couple limpers, so I make it $12 from CO-1 with 99. Victim min-raises to $22. All fold to me. I've got him on AA-JJ or AK, and the pot is laying me 4-1, so I'm taking a flop for $10 more. Flop is 9-high. I check call $30 on the flop, and check raise his $60 turn bet all in. He calls off the rest of his $200+ and misses his two-outer. I felt bad making him look like a loser in front of his no-longer impressed girlfriend.

bernie
06-29-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What makes me uncomfortable is having someone sweating a person sitting next to me, given my concern that this friend/spouse might be able to see my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that go for anyone standing behind you that may see your cards? Even just spectators?

b

dtbog
06-29-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This one young girl (20 something) was standing behind her boyfriend watching him play.. Absolutely GORGEOUS KNOCKOUT.. A 10 1/2.. Perfect breasts near the upper echelon of the C-level and her cleavage is just bursting out of her low cut dress she was wearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we allowed to say "this thread useless without pics" outside of OOT?

-dB

sekrah
06-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Nope.. compound that at 4% interest for the next 30 years, and that's a cool 3 months!!

Cmon Man, Can't we all just be friends?

sekrah
06-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I shoulda took a snap with my Cell/Camera Phone.

sfer
06-29-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nope.. compound that at 4% interest for the next 30 years, and that's a cool 3 months!!

[/ QUOTE ]

$12 at 4% per year for 30 years = $39
$18 at 4% per year for 30 years = $58

BottlesOf
06-29-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I get dealt Q-Q, and this guy leads out and raises preflop UTG.. I raise back, and he calls ?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it so unusual to raise and call a 3-bet?

chesspain
06-30-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that go for anyone standing behind you that may see your cards? Even just spectators?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to the same degree--since the main concern is that the information about my cards will somehow get back to an opponent at the table, which would seem very unlikely to happen unless the spectator was related/affiliated in some way to an opponent at the table.

sully4321
06-30-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... kinda creepy

bernie
06-30-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to the same degree--since the main concern is that the information about my cards will somehow get back to an opponent at the table, which would seem very unlikely to happen unless the spectator was related/affiliated in some way to an opponent at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wouldn't you likely hear something if something was said given your position on the 2 people? Though, I do agree, it does feel a little different this way than the other.

b

swede0530
06-30-2005, 02:24 PM
I observed an interesting dynamic related to 'sweating' during a session at the Mirage.

I was at a $3 - $6 table back in May. An 'uncle' was sweating his 'niece' immediately to my left (seat #3) and they were conversing in a foriegn language during and after hands. A few players objected and continued to object even after the uncle denied knowing anything about poker. After she had collected a few nice pots, the objections to the dealer increased and eventually the floor was asked to come over. The floor asked him to cease conversing during hands. Soon after, the niece racked up, leaving the game with an additional rack and a half of chips.

Later at the same table a guy (seat #9) had his buddy sweating him and they too were conversing in a foriegn language during and between hands. The guy was gambling (gambooling?) and had not taken down any meaningful pots.

Not a word from any of the same complainers.