PDA

View Full Version : Complicated three-way hand

zkzkz
06-29-2005, 04:33 AM
The convertor doesn't handle pokerroom.com tournament hands so I'll do my best here.

low stakes SNG with 6 players left. I have this field totally under my control. I don't think they called me on a single steal the whole game. They're playing loose and passive even worse than usual.

I have a deep stack of 5,320 with the blinds up to 75/150.

I get dealt TT on the button.

UTG (with the second biggest stack of 3550) bets 300; folded to me. I raise to 500, which should have been enough to get everyone else to fold based on previous hands.

BB who is short stack at 1120 bets 550. UTG calls him.

At this point I'm unhappy because my TT that I'm happy to play against a single player isn't looking so safe against two players.

So I raised all-in figuring one of two good things might happen. Either UTG will fold and i'll play heads-up against the shortstacked BB. Or he'll come along and even if I lose against the shortstacked BB I could still have him beat and get a nice side pot.

He called all-in.

Was my logic flawed outright? Was I better off playing it three-ways and possibly getting pushed off but preserving my chip lead?

BB shows AKs and UTG shows KQs.

Needless to say, things didn't work out too well.

I've been trying to work this through with twodimes and the ICM calculator but nothing seems to handle side-pots. I don't know how often I rate to win just the side pot and how out of the times BB wins.

It does seem like I'm the favourite here, winning 40% of the time. BB wins 36% and UTG wins 24%. If I assume I never win the side-pot then it seems the hand ended up -$EV dgoing from a 29.7% share of the prize to a 26.6% share. I only have to win the side-pot about 1/4 of the time that the BB wins to make break even with $EV.

zkzkz
06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Heh I guess everyone put me on ignore. Cute.

kyro
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't have you on ignore. Should I? I just can't understand your post. How did BB raise to 550 after you made it 500 (which by the way was a crappy raise. Raise more if you want to thin the field). That's 50 on top. That makes no sense.

lastchance
06-29-2005, 02:21 PM
So UTG bets t300, standard for LP fish.

You raise to t500? t800 sounds much better.

BB reraises to t700?

UTG calls?

And you have TT so this is an incredibly easy all-in from here.

wiggs73
06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG (with the second biggest stack of 3550) bets 300; folded to me. I raise to 500, which should have been enough to get everyone else to fold based on previous hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Make a meaningful raise. When action gets to you, there is already 525 in the pot. I'd raise it to 800-1000. Part of the reason you re-raise is because it gives you a chance to win the hand right there. Raising 200 more on top of a 300 bet doesn't give you that chance. He's not folding anything here (you're giving him 5:1 odds if the blinds fold). TT isn't that strong of a hand. You shouldn't mind him folding, so give him a chance to.

[ QUOTE ]
BB who is short stack at 1120 bets 550.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming that he re-re-raised to t1075? Either way, I guess we can call this a push.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG calls him.
At this point I'm unhappy because my TT that I'm happy to play against a single player isn't looking so safe against two players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then this is also the point where you should think about folding yourself, especially since 1) you have enough chips to get away from the hand and 2) UTG has shown considerable strength.

[ QUOTE ]
So I raised all-in figuring one of two good things might happen. Either UTG will fold and i'll play heads-up against the shortstacked BB. Or he'll come along and even if I lose against the shortstacked BB I could still have him beat and get a nice side pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
This probably isn't that bad of a line, but I'm still not sure I like it more than a fold after BB goes all-in and UTG calls. At best, you know you're up against 2 over cards. You could easily be dominated by jacks or better.

downtown
06-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Kyro, I think the OP meant that the all-in raised 550 to AI.

OP:
2 things on this hand.

1) People are going to give you a hard time for being results oriented. In other words, look for what the best action was regardless of how the hand turned out.

2) Raise more the first time around if you want to isolate the initial bettor IMO.

Ok, I changed my mind, 3 things...

3) Your all in was fine on the end assuming earlier action was what it was. I would be fine with seeing AK and KQ holding 1010. I would be happier though if I had raised more and was only facing one of them, though.

zkzkz
06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Sorry for the confusion, what actually happened: (after UTG bet 300 and I raised to 500) BB raised to 700 (550 over his 150 blind).

I guess my logic here went something like "TT is in good shape if I get it heads-up. If one calls then that's the position I'm in. If two call then I can ignore the small stacked player and hope for the side-pot so that's still the position I'm in."

I didn't carefully consider the probability of a high pair though. In fact I suspect I don't weight the frequency of high pairs enough in general.