PDA

View Full Version : AK early in the action

Bob Bryant
06-29-2005, 02:01 AM
MP is tight/agressive, others had caught him on bluffs before. The only hands I could have put him on that beat me were 77, 99, and TT. He raised big with the high pockets. Thoughts on the entire hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t935)
Hero (t760)
MP (t1850)
CO (t330)
Button (t1535)
SB (t2590)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, MP calls t150, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, MP calls t200.

Turn: (t975) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t310 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t310.

River: (t1595) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1595

lastchance
06-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Bet the flop initially, half-pot. Saves you chips down the line. Never check-raise half your stack. Either push or fold at that point.

But back to the best line here which is betting half the pot on this dry flop.

pergesu
06-29-2005, 02:07 AM
You only put him on three hands that beat you? How about like A9, K9, T9, A7, 87, etc? After calling your flop raise, it should be clear he's not going anywhere. The best you can hope with your turn push is that he's on a club draw. I hate pushing the turn, but I hate the flop raise as well. I probably dump the flop, but if you're gonna raise you might as well push I guess. I dunno, the whole thing just seems ugly to me.

pergesu
06-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Omg, I didn't even see the check-raise! I'm sure my brain skipped over it cause it's just disqualified from my mind as a possible play.

Yeah, the check-raise is horrible. Throw a CB out there, give up to resistence.

Bob Bryant
06-29-2005, 02:11 AM
He is tight, he wouldn't call a raise with those hands.

Forgot to mention PP's down to 44. He folded 33 earlier in a situation like that (or so he said in the table chat).

Agreed that I wasn't thinking on the flop c/r. That was terrible, but can you explain why you don't like the turn push when another 3 hits?

pergesu
06-29-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed that I wasn't thinking on the flop c/r. That was terrible, but can you explain why you don't like the turn push when another 3 hits?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because he called your raise preflop, which suggests he likes his hand somewhat. The flop bet could be a total bluff or a value bet, but calling your check-raise means he really likes his hand. The action suggests to me that he's got a better hand than you and isn't going anywhere. That's always reason enough for me to let go of the hand.

zipppy
06-29-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because he called your raise preflop, which suggests he likes his hand somewhat. The flop bet could be a total bluff or a value bet, but calling your check-raise means he really likes his hand. The action suggests to me that he's got a better hand than you and isn't going anywhere. That's always reason enough for me to let go of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the general consensus that check/folding the turn is the right play? If you check and he goes allin, that leaves you with 310 chips and the pot at ~t1275. I wouldn't like to fold that, which is why I'd probably push as the OP did, but that'd probably be the wrong play :P.

I just like the idea of hoping for (him to fold)|(me to suck out) more than me to check/fold and play the remainder of the tourney with 310 chips. How bad is this?

&gt;&gt;&gt;ZIP

pergesu
06-29-2005, 05:12 AM
I don't know what the general consensus is. My thoughts are that OP shouldn't be in this position in the first place! The check-raise was pretty boneheaded, I think, but throwing in half his stack makes it even more boneheaded. If he had check-raised all in he would have at least given his opponent something to think about.

You may prefer trying to suck out or get the other guy to fold, but you can't be comfortable with it either. Bottom line is that OP left himself with only sucky options.

Bob Bryant
06-29-2005, 05:27 AM
MP1 flips over AT and hits the river.