PDA

View Full Version : Calling off your stack on the bubble

11t
06-29-2005, 01:15 AM
So I was put in this interesting situation, I have a really aggressive shorty to my right (playing good bubble poker) and two big stacks to my left which (theoretically) should make stealing more difficult. Basically I am never first into a pot, and when I am I get to push against two gentleman that can call me and survive.

Blinds are also going up in 200/400 within 2 minutes.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1400)
Hero (t1265)
SB (t7875)
BB (t2960)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1375</font>, Hero calls t1240 (All-In)

cha59
06-29-2005, 01:21 AM
How aggressive are the big stacks?

If shorty is really aggressive and loose, you probably have him beat here. I think I'd call if the blinds have shown that they'll fold.

11t
06-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Lets put it this way, the only time I'm first into a pot its UTG and and every time its folded to villain in SB he pushes.

octaveshift
06-29-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically I am never first into a pot, and when I am I get to push against two gentleman that can call me and survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh, the worst-case bubble scenario. I have found myself in this spot quite a bit lately.

I call. Leaky? Probably.

octaveshift
06-29-2005, 01:28 AM
SGA says it's +3.3% if villain is pushing with a setting of maniac.

+4% if he's pushing any 2.

Looks like the call is correct!

ZBTHorton
06-29-2005, 01:29 AM
I definitely call.

pergesu
06-29-2005, 01:36 AM
I checked that out too, but that doesn't account for the players behind him who could call. It just assumes they fold 100% of the time.

Pitcher
06-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Hi All,

I think calling here is automatic. You know that the range of hands the villian is pushing with is wide. If his push range is something like this ...any pair, Ax, Kx Q10+ you will be ahead of 20 Ax, 22 Kx, 2 Q10+ and behind 14 pairs....so you will be in with the best of it 44 to 14 or over 3x....and many of those you will have heavily dominated. Also, it is likely he is pushing with an even bigger range....giving you even greater advantage.
In my experience the blinds rarely overcall these without a premium hand so you are really only worried about AA-QQ, plus AK, about possible hands.

I just gotta call here.

SGA says call as well

Pitcher

lastchance
06-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Do you really think being overcalled is that likely where you give up an edge of 3.3% in prize pool equity?!

Call, pretty quickly.

pergesu
06-29-2005, 01:48 AM
No, I call here too. I'm just saying it's not a 3.3% edge. Gonna be more or less based on the calling standards of the two biggies.

But I think regardless of what their standards are, folding this would be a big big mistake. Didn't think I needed to reiterate what 4 or 5 other people have already said.

Gramps
06-29-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are also going up in 200/400 within 2 minutes.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t1400)
Hero (t1265)
SB (t7875)
BB (t2960)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, Q.
UTG raises to t1375, Hero calls t1240 (All-In)

[/ QUOTE ]

So...if you fold, and the blinds fold (likely), UTG has 2k, you have 1265 (a shade over 3 BB), and one hand to push into now three bigger stacks before your FE is shot.

Easy, easy, easy, easy, easy call. If the BB overcalls, oh well, it shouldn't happen too often - especially if you don't take 5 seconds to make your decision (but insta-call instead).

From your description of UTG, you're &gt; a 60% favorite against his range of hands (if he's pushing over 1/4 of all hands), you're not in awful shape if the BB calls (you still have a decent shot at winning a 3-way pot), and if you fold you're probably in pretty dire straits.

If you fold AQ in this spot, please sit at my table the next time I'm in a bubble situation.

11t
06-29-2005, 01:55 AM
You make it sound like I thought about folding.

The Yugoslavian
06-29-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You make it sound like I thought about folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of feedback were you looking for on this hand?

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yugoslav

11t
06-29-2005, 02:32 AM
I dunno, I constantly check thru my HH and try to fix any leaks. I was put off when he pushed and figured I had to bite the old bullet and called.

His response just seemed to imply I almost folded or some such thing, I didn't think it was close but I just like to hear other ideas and reasons why perhaps my decision was correct but my thinking behind it is flawed.

Gramps
06-29-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I was put in this interesting situation

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I was put off when he pushed and figured I had to bite the old bullet and called.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are not the words of someone who did not consider folding. My response was to articulate that it's a clear call. Folding here is very bad IMO (once you think through the different scenarios and UTG's likely range of hands). I was explaining why with emphasis, given that it's not a close decision.

curtains
07-30-2005, 01:23 AM
This looks like a clear cut call to me.

eastbay
07-30-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I checked that out too, but that doesn't account for the players behind him who could call. It just assumes they fold 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumption is ridiculously valid here. It should not tweak your thinking one iota.

eastbay