PDA

View Full Version : AQ hits a good flop and gets raised. How to proceed?

CieloAzor
06-29-2005, 01:00 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t5835)
SB (t2390)
BB (t2410)
UTG (t1825)
UTG+1 (t8715)
Hero (t7825)
MP2 (t1290)
Villain (t4465)
CO (t1795)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Villain calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t475) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t1050</font>, BB folds, Hero...?

This seems like a pretty routine hand but I felt like I had some tricky decisions to make after he raised me. I'm out of position and I don't know whether I'm trying to maximize profit against a hand like AJ or minimize my losses against a hand like A8. Then again, he could be raising with the flush draw. Villain unfortunately has a pretty healthy chipstack so it's not as simple as getting all our chips in and hoping I'm ahead. Anybody have a decent line here?

DemonDeac
06-29-2005, 01:02 AM
what kind of hands has villain been showing down? did u see him accumulate his chips?

FWIW, i hate these situations too

CieloAzor
06-29-2005, 01:10 AM
I unfortunately wasn't paying very close attention to the table for the first half hour. I made all my chips on one hand and was mostly inactive otherwise. Even now I have my table behind my browser window. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

11t
06-29-2005, 01:42 AM
This is where a good read would be really nice.

I would probably just puke and fold versus a random and try to find a better spot later. If I had AK though I'd probably put him to the test.

kuro
06-29-2005, 02:13 AM
A raise like that on the flop really doesn't look like a draw (the ace of hearts is on the board afterall). It looks a whole lot like AK, two pair, a set, or someone that's setting up a bluff on the turn or river that will be too much for you to call. I probably grudgingly fold and look for a better spot because the pots likely going to be huge and you've got a marginal hand out of position.

ononimo
06-29-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A raise like that on the flop really doesn't look like a draw (the ace of hearts is on the board afterall). It looks a whole lot like AK, two pair, a set, or someone that's setting up a bluff on the turn or river that will be too much for you to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough without any specific reads but I'd put the villain on (in order of likelihood) a set of 8s, a lesser ace with a heart kicker, or a flush draw like KhQh. Unless the villian is a total donkey, I don't see how he called an EP raise with a hand that can make two pair on that flop or even a set of 2s.

Pocket 8s are the only hand I'm really worried about and the raise makes sense given the two hearts on the board and the fact that he probably puts you on a big Ace and assumes you'll give him action.

kuro
06-29-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how he called an EP raise with a hand that can make two pair on that flop or even a set of 2s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks are deep. The ep raise of 150 is around 3.6% of the villains stack. A8s, A2s, 22 are definitely in the range of hands that you play in this situation. You have huge implied odds when they hit. You really need to rethink your play with big stacks if you're folding small pairs, suited connectors, and Axs with big stacks in this situation.