PDA

View Full Version : D.Y.N.A.S.T.Y. joins famous fantasy baseball league

Dynasty
02-01-2003, 05:39 AM
Today, I accepted an invitation to participate in what is probably the most widely known and prestigous fantasy/rotisserie baseball league- the League of Alternative Baseball Reality, or LABR for short.

Fantasy baseball has grown considerably over the past ten years. Part of that growth includes "expert leagues" in which players who write fantasy baseball books, magazines, and collumns compete against each other. The auction/draft results of those leagues are published and used as benchmarks for players throughout the country participating in the own friendly leagues.

The Leagues of Alternative Baseball Reality were created in 1994 and have their results published in USA Today's popular weekly newspaper Sports Weekly (formerly Baseball Weekly). It was the first of these expert leagues and definitely gets the most attention due to it's results appearING in Sports Weekly.

There is no world championship in fantasy baseball. However, the closest think to it would be LABR. For a die-hard player like myself, being able to participate in LABR is on the same level as making the final table at the World Series of Poker (except there's no money involved /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ).

I've been playing rotisserie baseball with friends since 1991. My team name since has alwasy been D.Y.N.A.S.T.Y.

IrishHand
02-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Congratulations! However - being a rotisserie man myself since 1988 - if I were asked to pick any league in the world to play in, I'd pick the Rotisserie League Baseball Association without hesitation. LABR is cool since it has the USA Today-backed publicity, but for pure rotisserie entertainment I'd have to go with the original. Regardless - it's a great honor. I look forward to seeing how you do. I assume you're taking over a team? (Meaning which are you replacing and why, if you don't mind sharing.)

Dynasty
02-01-2003, 09:25 PM
LABR doesn't keep players from year to year. Everybody will be buying a new team from scratch in an auction.

I'm not one of the experts. I'm a "mega-regular"- a normal guy getting a one time shot at the big leagues.

IrishHand
02-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Ah...so you're the "regular guy" - I was hoping you were replacing one of the big boys. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Still very cool. Is the draft online or via phone, or do all the owners get together?

Zeno
02-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Well done and congratulations, Dynasty. The cactus leauge starts soon and the Seattle Mariners will be one of the first teams to start spring training. Baseball is warming up! Get some Seattle Mariners on your team, but that is bias advice from a fan. Let us know how you fare (for us Sports Weekly deficient types).

-Zeno

Dynasty
02-02-2003, 01:04 AM
The auction will be held live at some convention-like event in Phoenix. I don't have the full details yet.

IrishHand
02-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Cool - sounds like a good time. If nothing else, it should be neat to see how the 'experts' think, act and bid.

John Gaspar
02-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Congrats. I've followed their draft for years and have always found it quite interesting.

How were you able to get chosen? I was always under the impression that it was closed to the "experts".

Safe to assume that your friends league is based in MA. I've been in an AL only league for the past 12 years and still trying to find a local NL league.

Good luck to you and hope to meet you in April.

TimTimSalabim
02-02-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure how the auctions work, but if I were in the league, I'd move all-in on Barry Bonds.

Dynasty
02-10-2003, 05:47 AM
My American League LABR auction is a meager 18 days away.

I reasonably well prepared and will have all the typical lists that I have at my regular league's auction. However, I'd appreciate some tips from those who are in leagues of their own.

Which players are you expecting to have break-out years?

Which players do you think are on the decline? Etc.