PDA

View Full Version : was she f-ing with me?

chopchoi
06-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I've started playing limit MTT's recently. I've played 3 so far, and all 3 have ended the same way: My stack is average or better early, then the bets go up, I catch a set, bet it hard, and it gets cracked, leaving me short stacked with high blinds. Well, enough bitching. I know there's nothing I can do about that.

Anyway, most recently I had about 2,700 chips, and my set of 7's got cracked when an A came on the turn, giving my opponent a bigger set. I showed my cards after the hand. I lost 1,100 chips there.

From what I could tell my opponent that hand was pretty tight. She moved to the table about a round and a half before, and hadn't played a hand until then.

A few hands later I open raise with AQo, and the same opponent 3-bets me. I wonder, does she have a hand, or is she just messing with me because she thinks I'm afraid of her after she cracked my set? the flop is all rags, I check and call her bet. The turn is another rag. I think about betting into her, or maybe check-raise bluffing, but I don't know. If she has something, I'll be out. If I fold here, I'll still have 900 chips, and have a chance at a comeback. I fold.

A few hands later, I raise with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and she calls. The flop is ace high, 3 hearts. I think about going for the check-raise, but then I think checking might look suspicious to her after I raised and she just called. If I bet, maybe she'll raise me. So I bet and she folds.

Anyway, seeing as how, after she cracked my set, she played both times I raised, but didn't play any other hands, do you think she was thinking she could screw with me, or was it just a bizarre coincidence that she just happened to catch hands when I did.

Also, in light of the prior hand, shold I have been more aggressive with my AQ?

beeyjay
06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
what was the buyin?

If it was less than 100 I would be extremely hard pressed to say it was more than a coincidence. I think I used to overthink things like this and have learned that its pretty much just a good way to bleed off chips. Now that I've seen this happen so many times I would say even at the higher buyins people turn over a hand if you try to make a move on them solely because you think they are trying to make a move on you far too often to make your move all that profitable.

chopchoi
06-29-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what was the buyin?

[/ QUOTE ]

$30+3

AliasMrJones
06-29-2005, 05:48 PM
You played a set of 7's fast...I don't think this would get your targeted as someone to play against. If anything, I would think it send the signal that when you're raising, you've got a hand.

Why did you check/call the flop with the AQ. If you're going to do that, bet out and see what she does.

There is nothing about this sequence that looks suspicious to me. It doesn't look like she is specifically targeting you.

Punker
06-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Coincidence.