PDA

View Full Version : how much to pay a laborer?

mostsmooth
06-28-2005, 07:06 PM
suppose you go to the place where the illegal immigrant mexicans are waiting in the morning to do whatever jobs people offer. whats a reasonable price to pay the guy to help you move for the day. suppose the move was for your typical 3 bedroom ranch.

Glenn
06-28-2005, 07:08 PM
The Guatamalans in Clifton charged $50 + lunch last I heard. That was a few years ago but I'm sure it hasn't gone up that much. You are probably going to have to speak Spanish as well.

Mercsgrl
06-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Im NY it depends...I know my dad uses them sometimes....I think he pays $100.00 a day plus lunch....but thats a full day....usually the guys that you get off the street can speak enough english to tell you how much they want...and understand you enough to know what you want. Good Luck

Alobar
06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
around here, the going rate is like $5/hr and you have to drop them back off at the same street corner you picked them up from.

realwtf
06-28-2005, 09:35 PM
When they finish the job drive em over to the nearest Border Patrol shack.

Then you pay only gas and lunch.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-28-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Brilliant... assuming the border patrol does anything about it.

captswifty
06-29-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why, but that might have been the funniest thing I've read all day.

ThaSaltCracka
06-29-2005, 02:00 AM
people do this?

Alobar
06-29-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
people do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

you think they made their way into this country to stand on a street corner and work on their tan? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

vulturesrow
06-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Anyone remember the episode of The Man Show when Adam picked up a group of workers from the sidewalk and took them to a spa? It was hilarious.

mantasm
06-29-2005, 02:37 AM
Your dvd player, some jewelry. maybe your dog.

Shajen
06-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Be careful with this. A buddy of mine had an uncle that picked up a day laborer to clear some brush and stuff from around his house after a storm. After the guy did the work, the uncle went into his house to pay the guy. The guy followed him inside and stabbed him to death, stole his car and ransacked his house.

[censored] scary. Be careful. Hell, get some friends to help you.

beerbandit
06-29-2005, 09:38 AM
depends on how long of a day and how hard they work

probably 50-100

cheers

lu_hawk
06-29-2005, 10:52 AM
$20/hr + transportation + food/beverages. these people are very poor and they know where you live and what kind of possessions you have. you want to make sure they like you.

Maulik
06-29-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$20/hr + transportation + food/beverages. these people are very poor and they know where you live and what kind of possessions you have. you want to make sure they like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

$15/hr wouldn't be bad, they'd be satisfied, same sentiments

youtalkfunny
06-29-2005, 06:10 PM
When I lived in Vegas, I'd call St Vincent's homeless center (near Cashman Field). I'd tell them I need four guys, and would pay each $8/hr, and promise them a minimum of 6 hours pay. I'd have to pick them up in the morning, and drop them off at the end of the day.

You don't get strung-out, smelly addicts. You get some guys who want to WORK to get out of their present situation. They are bathed, shaved, and wearing clean clothes.

They didn't know that I planned on paying for lunch, too. I took 'em to Carl's Jr, and encouraged them to order as much as they wanted. At that point, they think you're the greatest guy in the world.

I did this three or four times, moving from place to place in Vegas (moved into Desert Club to be closer to work; moved out six months later, as my wife got pregnant, and we needed a bigger, more affordable place; another pregnancy meant another in-town move; etc). Never had a problem with any of the guys we got from St Vincent's.

One malingerer out of about 16 guys--not too bad.

liquidboss
06-29-2005, 06:17 PM
I've picked up Mexicans from Home Depot for some basic construction and they seemed pretty happy about $9.00/hour and lunch.